The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2013, 02:19 PM   #1
mohr308

Think it's safe?

In light of all these empty shelves, I was going to order some 63gr Sierra varminter bullets. I currently load the 65gr SGK in .223 for my AR. Do you think it may be safe to use my current load data from the 65's? It's merely a 2gr difference, and flat base compared to BT.

Load data:
65sgk
Cci41 primer
24.5gr of h335
LC brass
Old February 12, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Sevens

It -MAY- be safe, but it's not smart handloading.
Typically, when you go down in bullet weight with the same powder, pressure drops also. But proper methods express that you re-develop the load.

In the end, that charge weight may be perfectly good. In fact, Hodgdon's online data source calls 25.0gr the max load for exactly that 63gr Sierra bullet, and your charge weight is under that.

However, you shouldn't start at 24.5. You should start properly -- 10% under max. 22.5gr to start, advancing until you find your sweet spot.

Being at (or *gulp* over) a published max is NOT a problem if you worked your way there properly.

Being there -- and then switching components? That's really asking for trouble & it ignores a cardinal rule of handloading.

This isn't law, these are merely my opinions.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:43 PM   #3
89blazin

+1 w/ Sevens opinion.
Old February 13, 2013, 02:51 AM   #4
mohr308

Yeah, I know I should follow the rule. I was just hoping I could save on some components, but that could cost me otherwise thanks for the nudge in the right direction!
Old February 13, 2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I often use the older loading manuals as reference material. Many times the older handbooks have much higher Maximum charge rates listed on certain calibers. Unlike today's manuals with their 10% to 20% safety margins. The handbooks marketed today. As I see them. Most seem to offer very little difference between each others publications. Or list the same recipes year after year and the only difference realized in there books is there market place cost. Very little difference of opinion is read in the realm of hand loading recipes unless one reads the private authors like Ken Waters or Frank C. Barnes. Most of the older hand reloaders know there is a sweet spot in a reloading recipe. But many think there is only one sweet spot on the high side. I've ofter found at least two with the same powder. But to find that second high side sweet spot. One had better know the limits of their abilities and keep in mind barrel erosion is to be expected. I don't advocate anyone should reload beyond current published Max listings. Well everyone but me that is. I expect to see some critiquing of this thread. Those saying I'm going against the rules. And it's your rifle to do what you please with it. All I can say to that type of thinking is good thing Roy Weatherby never did.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:00 AM   #6
Sevens

The "liability" and "lawyer" angle is way, WAY overplayed by the average mouthpiece in forums. What's typically happened is that published data sources have gone to much better technology that gives them a much better handle on the actual pressure generated by their loads.

Of course we are all still free to do as we please. It doesn't mean that any one of us can't or shouldn't take their loads to any level they wish. I know that I absolutely do that, when and where I please.

None of that changes proper and safe techniques for handloading.