The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1
tahunua001

mossberg 500 and 535 interchangeable?

hello all, I have a mossberg 535, uber tactical turkey gun with M4 stock, fiber sights, spare shell holder and complete camo dip. the thing comes with a XXfull choke and even though it's amazing to have a 6 inch spread at 25 yards, I would like to try out trap shooting and am thinking about a full choke among other modifications. the problem is that the only parts I seem to be able to find are either for the 500 or 590. I'm assuming that since the 535 precludes the 590 that the 500 parts are what I want but I figured I'd ask you all knowing shotgunners first.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
tahunua001

wow, this must have been a REALLY stupid question if it has 300+ views and no answers....
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:45 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
uber tactical turkey gun with M4 stock, fiber sights, spare shell holder and complete camo dip. the thing comes with a XXfull choke and even though it's amazing to have a 6 inch spread at 25 yards, I would like to try out trap shooting and am thinking about a full choke among other modifications
Well, for starters, a M choke will work fne for trap. I'll assume the mods you are going to make to it for trap shooting mean putting a regular stock back on and then removing the fiber sights?

Otherwise, these folks might be better able to answer your other questions:

http://mossbergowners.com/index.php?...08bf06158a5f42
Old February 12, 2013, 12:58 PM   #4
tahunua001

well in all truth I much prefer the fibers to beads and the m4 stock which I originally detested is actually quite nice as I seem to be favoring shorter stocks than long at this current juncture. the mods I'm thinking of are not solely for trapshooting, I am also thinking of an extended mag tube. I know trap shooting is a one shot one, kill type of deal but a higher capacity tube can have numerous advantages.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Vermonter

Barrels are not

Unless you place a 500 mag tube on the gun. This makes the gun safe with only 3" shells. I was misinformed on this by a local LGS and bought a 535 because I thought it was interchangable with my 500 barrels.