The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 02:06 PM   #26
larryh1108

As someone who has watched cops shows his whole life, this did not offend me. Taking an anti-gun stance on a tv cop show where the victim was murdered with a gun seems to be in line with investigating cop's beliefs. This comes as a shock or are we now overly sensitive to any anti-gun statement?

When a commentator makes a tirade against guns on a nationally televised football game, that is out of line. When a national talk show host used his forum to preach anti-gun, that still rankels us but it is his show so he can do what he wishes. When the president and senators and law makers preach lies to line up their anti-gun agendas, they are going against their pledge to uphold the Constitution of the United States. When a cop tv show has a brief statement against guns, it's an actor on a tv show reading his script. We have enough to fight without worrying about lines on tv shows. There are anti-gun people out there. We just need to know which fight to engage in.

Last edited by larryh1108; February 11, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:25 PM   #27
2ndsojourn

".... it's an actor on a tv show reading his script."

Fixt.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:36 PM   #28
larryh1108

Thanks! and you are correct. Fixted.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:22 PM   #29
Colduglandon

".... it's an actor on a tv show reading his script."

It is an actor reading words written by someone else to get a point across. That is what a propaganda film is.

It is not about subtleties and long intellectual discussions. It is about hammering the public and getting in your face. He is not a real cop. But the writer wants you to believe that the average police want gun control and if you support the police you should support gun control.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:24 PM   #30
patrickmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colduglandon
It is an actor reading words written by someone else to get a point across. That is what a propaganda film is.

It is not about subtleties and long intellectual discussions. It is about hammering the public and getting in your face. He is not a real cop. But the writer wants you to believe that the average police want gun control and if you support the police you should support gun control.
I got the impression that one of the officers, the star of the show, likes guns. At worst they are wanting us to believe that members of the law enforcement community are split 50/50 on the issue.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:22 PM   #31
SPEMack618

The only thing redeeming about that show is Grace Park.

I've noticed a trend of "cop shows" to portray gun owners, and gun shops in particular, in a negative light.

CSI being quite possibily the worst offender With a slain gun store owner having a stash of M-16 auto sears in an ammo can in the back room.

I look at through the prism of diminishing returns. Do I enjoy the show enough to look past that? With the aforementioned show, Grace Park doesn't provide enough positive feedback to overlook that crap.
Old February 11, 2013, 06:55 PM   #32
larryh1108

Quote:
This may very well be true but propoganda has been all around us for decades. My point is that we wouldn't have thought twice about this if it happened last year instead of now. We have become sensitive to anything anti-gun and notice it a lot more than we used to.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:38 PM   #33
Colduglandon

I referenced a posting on whizbangblog using a hyperlink. I thought what I did was in keeping with the policy on use of outside & possibly copyrighted materials because it was relevant and I described the content as comments on the anti gun rant. I received a pop up sending me to the policy statement. I have been on the firing line for a long time but have only put a couple of posts on recently. Was this out of line? If so I will go back and delete it. Thanks for any advice.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:01 AM   #34
steve666

I didn't care for, or watch, the original series and the new one is no better, if not worse.