The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Colduglandon

Hawaii Five O-Boycott GM?

I was really disappointed with the propaganda content of Hawaii Five O the other night. I remember the story line from the original series and this was a poor recast loaded with anti-second amendment themes. How should gun owners respond? It would seem fitting to go after one of their major sponsors like GM. Any thoughts out there on this issue? I searched to see if this was in another thread but did not see this take on the show. I was a regular viewer of the series because it looks nice on a HD TV. Tough to take a 4 foot cop serious and some of the female leads are about as believable as Caan. I will be tuning out from now on though. Always wondered what it was like to grow up in the Soviet Union. Who'd a thunk it.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Pilot

Guess who owns GM, and go from there. Guess where 99.9% of Hollywood that produce and air these shows stands on guns? Most large corporations, and their upper management are usually very liberal, PC, and anti-gun.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Metal god

I saw it and was a little surprised but the gun store owner held his own . A lot of cops feel that way or at least it seems so . If I was a cop I would want superior fire power not equal . That does not mean that's the way it should be it's just what I would want as a cop , or for HD .

Im not sure I'm ready to start boycotting anything yet . Let see if they continue .

I was more upset at Jay Leno the other night letting Pierce Morgan spew his garbage with out one challenge to his lies . I wrote a letter to NBC and dropped the tonight show from my DVR .
As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old
Old February 9, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Boycotts don't work.

Write them an email and tell them that you won't be watching the show and why and tell them that you'll be writing an email to their advertisers also, asking them not to advertise on the show, you won't be watching it and why.

The audience of that show is much, much smaller than GMs customer base. Changing the channel has a much bigger effect than trying to boycott an advertiser.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:21 PM   #5
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Changing the channel has a much bigger effect than trying to boycott an advertiser.
Unless your household is a "Neilsen family", the broadcasters and advertisers will ever know or care what shows you watch or stop watching.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Hence, the letters.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Colduglandon

So Boycotts don't work. That is sometimes correct. But talk of a boycott sometimes is better than the boycott itself. Difficult for GM to push their Silverado pickups with images appealing to the cowboy, rancher, oilfield worker, construction worker etc if their anti-second amendment stance is broadcast for what it is. The lefties seem to push their agenda by creating a buzz. I never heard of chick fillet until GLBT not sure if I got all the letters in the rainbow, made a huge stink about their company. Occupy GM. Just kidding. I will send them a letter because how else would they know I am not watching. You are right there.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Unless your household is a "Neilsen family", the broadcasters and advertisers will ever know or care what shows you watch or stop watching.
And if you are one of those families, all they will think is that you don't like the show, not why you don't like it. Hence changing the channel to boycott the program will not work because it won't convey any information about why the channel was changed.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:47 PM   #9
bahumbug

I stopped watching when they disrespected the Veterans who were trying to honor fallen comrades in Dec 2011. My personal boycott in meaningless to them, but I feel better.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:59 PM   #10
2ndsojourn

I never watched it.
Old February 9, 2013, 07:07 PM   #11
DASHZNT

I love GM.. I bought a Corvette to keep jobs in the US. I actually buy them because theyre fun and practical in price considering performance and competition. Its just happens to be that theyre made here tho!

DASHZNT
Old February 9, 2013, 07:17 PM   #12
Pahoo

Same old, Same old !!

This is nothing new for Hawaii Five O, as it happened in the orignal series. I believe it was Jack Lord and he went on an even stronger rant about not understanding ; America's love affair with guns ....

As for GM, Historically I have been a Chevy man "most" of my life. That is until the bail-out that has not been completely paid back. If I ever buy domestic again, it's going to be a Ford !! ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; February 10, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Colduglandon

I will have to catch the original show again. I wonder how many of the people that called for the boycott of Chic Filet actually ever ate a sandwich there. I currently own two GM vehicles but this is a pretty important issue so I think we should sound off to GM. I do agree with your opinion on Ford.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:33 PM   #14
patrickmn

I thought the scene was pretty good. Danny Williams was acting goofy and rejected the idea that "guns don't kill people" and the shop owner acted somewhat reasonable. McGarrett didn't seem as opposed to gun ownership as the original series' McGarrett.

I'll re-watch it to see if I was less offended that I should have been.
EDIT: I re-watched it and I liked it even more this time. McGarrett even took the time to shake the salesman's hand as they were about to leave.

Last edited by patrickmn; February 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:59 PM   #15
Colduglandon

So I thought I would check what was out on the net concerning this subject. This is the first article I found and it pretty much portrays my original reaction to the show the other night. http://wizbangblog.com/2013/02/06/ha...ti-gun-tirade/

Good article Hawaii Five-O’s Anti-Gun Tirade

Last edited by Colduglandon; February 10, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:12 AM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

I couldn't stand the original series with Jack Lord whose most remembered line was, "Book him, Danno." Lord was very anti-2A and that alone kept me from watching it.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:43 AM   #17
Double Naught Spy

Keep in mind that with the whole notion of the show being in Hawaii, it isn't like Hawaii doesn't have some of the stricter gun controls in the country.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:11 PM   #18
patrickmn

I stand by my analysis. Not only did the shop owner remain somewhat calm, the anti-gun Danny Williams acted irrationally by claiming, "No guns, no killing." He also implied that New McGarrett likes guns.

Compared to the original series, which had several episodes that were overtly anti-gun, that scene was pro-gun. I don't understand the outrage, and I don't see why this scene would justify a boycott of GM.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:24 PM   #19
g.willikers

Boycott G.M.?
How about just boycotting Hawaii?
They act and think like they're in Asia, not the U.S.
Old February 10, 2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Romeo 33 Delta

Well ... they just lost a household with that one. We're done! I'll fill that hour slot by going to the basement and reloading ...
Old February 10, 2013, 08:51 PM   #21
treg

And you watch TV because.........????????

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:03 PM   #22
Rainbow Demon

I can remember when Jack Lord came out heavy for gun control especially confiscation of un registered handguns, then someone pointed out that he had an unregistered Walther PPK, a finely engraved presentation model given to him by Elvis Presley. He started backpeddling on that pretty quick.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:00 AM   #23
Texshooter

Too late, I wrote GM long ago wanting to know where & when we will get our $14 billion back.

Skeroooo them.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:35 PM   #24
Yankee Traveler

I like the theme song and then change to Shameless, Dexter, Walking Dead, Justified or something else I have DVR'd. So I'm glad I mised it.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:40 PM   #25
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Shameless, Dexter, Walking Dead, Justified or something else I have DVR'd
All great shows, and there are plenty of others as well. As much as we like to bitch about the quality of television programming, the truth is that in the age of DVRs, iTunes, Netflix, and other on-demand or time-shifting technologies, there's more high-quality programming out there than there are hours in the day to watch it. Great time to be alive, entertainment-wise.