The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2013, 05:40 AM   #1
BlouZbee

38 shot shell data

when i acquired all my reloading stuff, it came with 100s of Speer shot shell capsules in 38/357. As a fisherman who runs into snakes, this is a load id like to make for my LCR 38.

the published data i could find says 4.5 bullseye. i dont have bullseye but i do have titegroup. on the burn rate chart those two powders are right next to each other.

does my thinking sound correct and safe? 4.5 titegroup with the capsules seated just far enough to fit the gun?

thank you.
Old May 11, 2013, 05:54 AM   #2
P.A. Dutchman

Play it safe. The best rule of thumb in reloading is that if there is no tested published loading data for a specific powder and projectile combination don't do it.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Go ahead and test it like you would any load.
I can't speak for the .38 special. But many a cotton mouth went to it's maker from shot out of my .44 mag. Ruger Redhawk. I don't remember the charge but I used #7 1/2 shot and it was very effective. It would reach quite a ways out on my ponds at my farm. These shot capsules to produce a dognut shaped pattern however. For snakes I simply aimed for the center of the body and often hit it in the head and rear regions.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:29 AM   #4
SL1

Shotshell loads for .38 Special are low-pressure loads, so shooting them in the LCR should not be a safety issue.

The real issues are the patterns developing a center hole and the capsuls in the other chambers coming apart from recoil. The short barrel of the LCR tens to make the shot pattern center more dense, but also tends to give more recoil due to the light gun weight.

I suggest that you load the capsuls as deep as the data specifies to allow for some capsul movement with recoil.

I also advise you to check patterns at reasonable "snake distances" and REDUCE the charge as needed to make the center of the pattern get fuller.

Also, #9 shot, or even #11 or #12 shot will work on snakes and make much better patterns from a .38 case. Save the #7½ shot for the .44s and .45s.

SL1
Old May 11, 2013, 03:47 PM   #5
BlouZbee

decided to play it safe and went out and bought some bullseye. i will seat to the load data of 1.50
Old May 11, 2013, 03:52 PM   #6
CMD-Ky

BlouZbee Good choice, I have used these for some time, copperheads are my target of choice - rats work, too. You will be glad you have them. I was convinced after I bought some factory and decided I could do cheaper but not better.
Old May 11, 2013, 04:19 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Just remember, these shot loads are good for 6-9 FEET, not yards.

You can test them with a nice baking potato at 6' to see
Old May 11, 2013, 04:44 PM   #8
jepp2

Quote:
decided to play it safe and went out and bought some bullseye. i will seat to the load data of 1.50
You can never go wrong by using a tested load and working your way up. Great decision!