The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 7, 2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Mr. Whimsy

Circuit Judge in .44 magnum - ANYONE SHOT ONE?

Interested in what owners think of these revolving rifles.

Anyone have first-hand experience?

How accurate at 100 yds?

Would you purchase again?

I think it would be a neat addition to my battery. Theoretically, one could fire it as quickly as a semi-auto without having to search all over for his brass. And this could be done with cat-sneeze loads or hunting magnums. I'm just not happy with a variety of characteristics the Rossi 92 rifles have.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Mr. Whimsy

Whimsy, what kind of weirdo are you that you would consider such a terrible concept. In fact, I'm almost certain your shooting technique must be terrible to even consider anything outside the status quo. Also, your socks don't match and you didn't vote for Romney.
Old February 7, 2013, 04:27 PM   #3
tahunua001

um... ok, if the OP personality ever resurfaces...
I was not aware that Rossi had expanded from their 410/45LC and 22LR/mag offerings, now I see a 28 gauge and 44 mag as well... interesting. I would point out that yes this is a horrible concept but not for the reasons that you think. I like the idea behind being able to shoot completely separate cartridges out of 1 gun but in order to move between bullets, slugs and shot you have to straight tube the choke. this is not a problem for the judge pistol because it is a snub nosed revolver and it's max effective range for most is 15-25 yard but in a long arm the spread pattern is pretty lousy and the accuracy with bullets isn't that great.

however you take that bad concept and add to it the fact that you remove the dual cartridge characteristics and modify the frame to take a smaller cylinder and you are asking for even more problems. taurus and rossi are not really known for quality and reliability in anything that they produce and I have personally seen the judge pistol seize up and fail on multiple occasions. this is completely unacceptable as the main selling point of a revolver over a semi is that they aren't supposed to be able to lock up and jam. so you are taking a revolver design based on a problematic design and then you are compounding the problem by further modifying it to take a different cylinder and more powerful round.

I would seriously hold off on it, maybe someday S&W will make a circuit governor and release it in 44 mag
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old February 7, 2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Mr. Whimsy

I'm here, thanks for your response.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:01 PM   #5
mxsailor803

I've shot a couple of the 45/410 circuit judge carbine and personally I like it. It looks goofy but they actually point very well. The ones i've shot are actually decently accurate. With the 45lc it is capable of around 3/4" groups depending on shooter and ammo. I was using custom handloads that we are still experimenting with. I'm actually a little curious about the .44 as well. Go ahead and get it and let us know lol.
Old February 7, 2013, 11:28 PM   #6
Mr. Whimsy

Well I hesitate to buy something that there isn't a review on anywhere. It's weird, actually. I would think with the success of the .410 CJ, there would be more interest in this unusual firearm.

All I see are nay-sayers who've never shot one. There seems to be a dedicated corps of them running around the Internet telling you 16 reasons why any given firearm won't be optimal.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:24 AM   #7
tahunua001

oh..... sorry about that.... I guess I'll Butt out from now on

my experience is with the judge pistol, just replace the grips with a buttstock and make the barrel longer and that's a circuit judge. the pistols are lousy, many don't have problems but then many do. there is a reason why nobody is burning up the forums with reviews.

it's a niche gun based on a problematic design from a company with a poor reputation. many people that buy a niche gun want to get their monies worth and that just doesn't seem to happen with these guns.

I would also like to know what range the 3/4 groups are with 45LC, I would definitely have to see pictures as I have never once heard of a sub MOA rifle in 45 colt.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Mr. Whimsy

I wasn't referring to you specifically, just commenting on the prevalence of "haters" of these weapons, many of whom have never fired one. Obviously, you have experience and so the statement was not meant to impugn you.

I'm actually thankful that you responded and value the feedback you shared.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:05 PM   #9
mxsailor803

I've tried the .45lc loaded up with 255gr cast fp with 6.2gr of unique running right at 900fps. I'm gonna try some of the hornady ftx 225gr and see how they run. All of our shooting has been at 50 yards simple because we never intended being much more than a close range woods rifle. I've also got a ruger deerfield carbine and they are both very close in accuracy wise. Some people say its a bad concept. I call it a goofy looking carbine that is more comfortable than expected. Only thing i'm not a fan of is the cylinder blast shield. It does the job just would've liked it more if it was metal.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Mr. Whimsy

Interesting. Very rare to hear actual accuracy reports from these guns.

I would like something to fire sub-sonic .44 specials as fast or slow as I want on the shooting range or for quiet pest removal. And, oddly enough, wax bullets for plinking in my front yard. In front of God and everybody. Come deer season, I could kill one at 50 to 75 yards w/ Magnums.

The concept is very versatile to me. I would, however, like as much intel as I can get re: the accuracy and durability of the .44 model.