The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 11:55 PM   #1
COASTER

Ammo for GSG 22 CAL 1911 Style handgun

Hello Folks !

I am requesting advice on type of ammunition to use for my GSG 22- 1911 style handgun. It came with a 10 round magazine and as I understand the manufacturer also makes the SIG version. My aim is to use this pistol for not just plinking but also to perfect my technique for my 1911 semi-auto.
I am an amateur so please forgive me if this question is a repeat

I appreciate your experienced opinions.....

Old February 3, 2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Frontpage

I own both the GSG and Sig versions of this gun and they are virtually identical. They both like CCI Mini Mags he best, however I have used Federal Bulk (red box) from Walmart with success also. These guns are both a little finicky with ammo, so when you find one that works for you, stick with it.

Good luck, be careful and have fun (if you can find any 22LR ammo)
Old February 3, 2013, 11:03 AM   #3
qwiksdraw

You can't go wrong with any CCI ammo:Min Mag, AR Tactical, Stinger or Velocitor. Blazer works well too, but I would recommend using them after you have shot 200 - 300 rounds of a copper washed/coated bullet first, Another good round is Remington Golden Bullets.

I have found that copper washed/coated rounds perform best in my Sig 1911 22LR as well as in my American Classic/Chiappa 1911 22 and my Bersa Thunder 22.

With ammo hard to find, I will shoot whatever 22LR ammo I could find on the shelf.

The definition of Finicky is 22 caliber. LOL!
Old February 3, 2013, 04:34 PM   #4
PSP

I use minimag mostly, but some of the cheaper bulk ammo has fed and fired fine, but it's been used only in a few magazines. Nice gun, I've been pleasantly surprised by it's quality and accuracy.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:09 AM   #5
WoofersInc

I used MiniMags in mine for about the first 400 rounds. I have then used various other brands. My primary ammo now for it is Federal bulk. I have also used Remington Subsonics since most of my shooting with this gun is suppressed. The only ammo mine hasn't liked is Remington Golden Bullets. But then again, most of my 22's don't like those.

I was curious and decided to see how well the gun would do. I shot mine only suppressed and used only Federal bulk. I didn't clean it until it jammed. It went just past 1700 rounds before a jam. I am now 900 rounds into the next trial.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:19 PM   #6
glenncal1

I will second (or 3rd) the recommendation for Federal red box bulk ammo. I just put 150 trouble free rounds through the gun this weekend. I would get 3-400 rounds through the gun before making any decisions on what works or doesn't. Mine had a few FTF's during the breakin period. They are fun and accurate guns. I would also recommend a thorough cleaning and lubrication with a quality gun oil after the first 150 rounds or so.

Many K and N Frames
Old August 6, 2013, 06:46 PM   #7
motorcycle joe

Sig Sauer 22LR cycle - not

I just made my first hand gun purchase - a Sig 1911 22 LR. I'm finding it will not cycle with anything by the highest velocity ammo. It will malfunction 50 to 60% of the time on Federal Premium Target 1080fps. Amercan Eagle is a little better. Remington Golden Bullet 40gr, 1255 is maybe 90%, one failure per mag. The only ammo I've found that is realiable is AR Tactical. I've put about 400 rounds through. I just bought 400 rounds if the Federal Target and I can't use it. BTW , can you retrun unused ammo to a gun shop?

Any suggestions on how to improve the situation. I read many reviews on the internet about how reliable the sig is. I guess I'm a little dissappointed?
Old August 6, 2013, 08:39 PM   #8
qwiksdraw

One issue you can encounter with the GSG/Sig is the rails. The finish is sometimes a bit heavy and rough, thus slowing down the slide while cycling. By the time you get between 200 - 300 rounds, the rails are usually smoothed out. You can speed up the process by racking the slide a few hundred times on an empty gun, you might want to do this without the guide rod spring installed. Another method I've read about is using toothpaste and polishing down the rails with it. Toothpaste has a mild abrasive texture that will gently smooth the surface of the rails.

Keep shooting 40 grain HV rounds no less than 1200 fps. That rating is from an 18 inch barrel, the shorter handgun barrel will cause the round to lose as much as 20% of its velocity.

Keep the pistol clean, 22 caliber rounds are dirty little suckers.

And finally, welcome to the world if the 22 caliber. You are guaranteed to have lots of fun and to get a fair amount of malfunction practice.
Old August 7, 2013, 02:37 AM   #9
Sevens

Ammo definitely does not have to be 40 grain bullet. I use -ONE- brand of ammo in my GSG 1911-22, and that is the Federal Champion, 36gr plated HP, bulk packed in either 375 or 525 count boxes. This is the stuff that is most often sold at Wal-Mart... or shall I say, it used to be.

I bought this pistol in the late spring of 2012 and proceeded to put 3,900 rounds through it in six months time. All of it... Federal Champion 36gr plated HP.

I have only taken it out three times since November, went rimfire went scarce. My reasoning is simple-- I have many rimfire handguns and I love shooting them all. I really, really love to shoot the GSG also, but I'm running 14-round magazines and I have five of them so when this pistol shows up on a range day, 300-500 rounds is the norm, and I simply don't have access to that ammo like I once did. Of all the handguns I own, nothing sucks more ammo from me than this one does in a single range session. So I had to quit shooting it, pretty much.

4,616 through this pistol to date. It'll be two years old in May of 2014, which is when the warranty expires. My original plan was to see if it would shoot to destruction in that amount of time, but I can't get the rimfire ammo anymore.
Old August 7, 2013, 02:40 AM   #10
Sevens

Forgot to add...
I'm finding it odd that two different guys have mentioned the Federal "red box" bulk ammo. Are you talking about Federal American Eagle?

The Federal Champion 36gr plated HP that I'm talking about is a blue box... however, that is the current iteration of the box. The previous packaging of the same exact product was indeed a red box, but they haven't produced that for at least a solid 2-3 years. It's been blue & gray for a while now.
Old August 7, 2013, 07:11 AM   #11
qwiksdraw

Quote:
SEVENS:
Ammo definitely does not have to be 40 grain bullet...
Agreed. Motorcycle Joe is having some function issues, my suggestions were intended to put his gun in the optimum set up to determine the source of the problem. I should have also added that he continue using the copper coated/washed rounds and not use hollow points.

I believe once M-Joe gets his slide rails smoothed out, he will see how much fun that gun can be.

If your gun shoots any other round from the start, then don't have to do any more with the gun. With nearly 5,000 rounds thru my Sig, It will even shoot some standard velocity, lead-head rounds.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:09 AM   #12
1DrnkMxR

The CCI AR Tactical is the one my GSG 1911/22 shoots well with.