The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2013, 01:01 AM   #1
elwaynum1

.223 Bullet Seating Die Question

I am currently in the process of buying dies for my AR and was reading on midway that the bullet seating die applies a "roll crimp." Is that going to be sufficient for plinking and occasional hunting with the AR or should I buy the extra crimp die?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/554...la=ProductDesc
Old January 25, 2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Xfire68

You should not need any crimp with 223/5.56.

www.aac300blackoutbrass.com A Veteran owned Business.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I use my AR in match shooting and don't crimp except for occasional experimentation. It's not really necessary for my purposes.

For the roll crimp shoulder in your seating die, you want to be careful to get your cases all the same length and sort them by headstamp so the neck thickness is the same to the crimp is consistent. If you are adding a Lyman M expanding die to help bullets start in more straight, then you may want to buy a taper crimp die to iron the step out flat. The Lee Factory Crimp die doesn't require the cases to be quite so exactly the same length, but you still want the neck thicknesses uniform to use it.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old January 25, 2013, 01:24 AM   #4
elwaynum1

Thank you for your replies and luckily I already sort by head stamps and trim cases uniformly.

Old January 25, 2013, 03:53 AM   #5
Bamashooter

I crimp using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Its a very good crimp die.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:26 AM   #6
10-96

Elway1- I'm another guy who feels there is no apparent need to crimp .223/5.56 reloads.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:26 PM   #7
codefour

I know everyone belongs in the "no crimp on .223" camp it seems.

I do crimp my AR rounds. I use a medium taper crimp into the cannelure if the bullet has one. What does it hurt..? It is just an extra station on my progressive press.

Does a mild to medium taper crimp really hurt accuracy?
Old January 25, 2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Ifishsum

It won't hurt accuracy, unless the crimp is applied improperly. I usually apply at least some crimp to ammo I'm loading for the AR, it makes me feel better about it but isn't absolutely necessary as long as you have good neck tension.
Old January 27, 2013, 06:30 PM   #9
boostedtt91

i was always tought that no semi auto should ever really need to be crimped. It will just raise the pressure of the round and do more harm than good. correct me if im wrong
Old January 29, 2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Boostedtt91

I believe you are thinking of pistol rounds that headspace on the case mouth. The theory is that if you put a roll crimp on such a round, the edges of the case mouth can slip into the throat of the chamber, preventing it from releasing the bullet normally, thus raising pressure. In a bottleneck rifle case, though, the cartridge headspaces on the shoulder, so the neck can't go that far in (assuming proper trimming), so crimping is no issue in rifle cartridges.

In practice, you can still crimp pistol brass just far enough that the case mouth is down to minimum diameter spec (which isn't much of a crimp, so taper crimp dies are usually used to do this). Also, many pistols will headspace on their extractor hooks before the case mouth gets to the end of the chamber, and these won't be affected. Finally, a lot of the old-time match shooters would roll crimp .45 Auto when loading cast bullets, but would let the bullet stick out far enough to headspace on the bullet. That way the case mouth couldn't go too far in. They claimed this was by far the most accurate ammunition they could make. I can confirm that headspacing on lead bullets does, indeed, maximize accuracy. I don't use the roll crimp because of what it does to brass life and don't find it adds much once you are headspacing on the bullet. There is a little bit of ignition consistency improvement, but if you see the difference it would only be on 50 yards bulls.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old January 29, 2013, 11:20 AM   #11
mohr308

I tried taper crimping for my AR, dint find any advantage to it. Then I started loading SGK bullets which don't have the cannelure. Crimping is useful if your ammo gets tossed around like a ball on a playground at a school!
Old January 29, 2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Maybe that's the problem. We need to put away the badminton rackets and just shoot the stuff in guns instead.
NRA Benefactor Member