The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
iraiam

The President wants us to listen more

Article Here

I say let's keep up the pressure on our elected government reps, including the President. I have sent several letters to the President, not one single response, but I continue.

As usual He is trying to equate the Second Amendment with hunting and skeet shooting, I think I just figured out what my next letter to him will be about.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; January 27, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Davey

Quote:
As usual He is trying to equuate the Second Amenment with hunting and skeet shooting, I think I just figured out what my next letter to him will be about.
Be careful there.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3
MrDontPlay

Compromising when it comes to our rights= negotiating with terrorists. Not an exaggeration.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Dr Big Bird PhD

Big Brother Barry
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 27, 2013, 03:37 PM   #5
mj246

I chuckled when I read this part "...may not feel compelled to pay attention to broad-based public opinion, because what they're really concerned about is the opinions of their specific Republican constituencies"

That is exactly what a representative government is! Each elected official is supposed to act in the interests of his/her own constituents, not what the officials or constituents of other areas think is in the best interest for the "common good."
Old January 27, 2013, 03:40 PM   #6
RockSmoot

Reading this you'd think that it's only the evil repubs who gerrymander. He should look at some of the districts in Arkansas.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:54 PM   #7
kraigwy

Maybe its the President who needs to listen. His VP says double barreled shotguns are better for protection, I don't see him dumping the SS ARs,

And maybe have the VP talk to the DHS, who ordered 7000 "Personal Defense M4s".............they have selector switches.

When the DHS has ARs they are personal defense firearms, when the American citizen has them they are evil Assault Rifles.

I wonder if he would listen if someone reminded him that the "President's Match" (Presidents Hundred) Rules require us Citizens to use ARs with 20 or 30 round magazines.

Go Figure.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 27, 2013, 04:34 PM   #8
JWT

His comments are as laughable as they are pathetic. Now it's gerrymandering that is the 'problem'. Too bad he hasn't taken a look at some of his parties districts.

He wants us to believe he's a real dyed in the wool shooter because he shot at a few clays at Camp David.

Still, don't underestimate him. An awful lot of people swallow what he puts out.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

The hunter, shotgun game is just a ploy to assuage the fears of that crowd - if they are that naive and not cognizant of the RKBA.

I would point out that this kool-aid has been drunk by quite a few from the other party also.

I have mentioned Joe Scarborough who said (as a true conservative - pardon using the term) that he doesn't see why if he wants to take his 6 year old son hunting why he would need a clip full of 30 copkiller bullets.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:01 PM   #10
WW2

By Listen...

... he means OBEY!

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:34 PM   #11
Dr Big Bird PhD

Copkiller bullets...ugh
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 29, 2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The president argued that “the more left-leaning media outlets recognize that compromise is not a dirty word”
It isn't a dirty word, but their usage shows a complete misunderstanding of its definition. Compromise means they get something and we get something. What would we get in return? Expanded carry rights? Protection for hunting land? Congress stops screwing with Pittman-Robertson funds?

No. They're sticking a lump of coal in our stockings and telling us to be thankful it doesn't catch the house on fire. That's not compromise.

I'm sorry if the President feels hung up by elected representatives, and that he can't do enough via Executive Order, and...

Oh wait. I'm not sorry in the least.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:32 PM   #13
SPEMack618

I'm sorry that the President is, according to Twitter, such a respected Constitutional scholar who doesn't realize a Congressman's duty is to his district.

A shame it has taken him that long to realize that. I think I learned that in the Citizenship in the Nation merit badge.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:44 PM   #14
FairWarning

The president is not Emperor or King (notice how I used lowercase for "president").

He can't issue orders for everything, he has to work with Congress, who ultimately answer to the voters....err somewhat. Not everyone in Congress agrees with Jug Ears, so he shouldn't think he can simply chide them as if they were unruly children when they don't.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:55 PM   #15
TXAZ

It's interesting to note in the last 2 weeks that "the occupier" has blamed literally, everything on the Republicans: Won't negotiate, won't raise the debt ceiling, are personally responsible for the shrinkage in the economy, yada yada. And the unrest level of "moderates" and many Democrats appears to be rising.
It's far from over, this is only one fight of many.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; January 30, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:29 PM   #16
pgdion

Quote:
Still, don't underestimate him. An awful lot of people swallow what he puts out.
I understand him, his motives are quite clear. I don't understand the people that follow and support him.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:22 PM   #17
berettaprofessor

Now that we know Obama loves skeet shooting so much, we should encourage Dick Cheney to take him out for a match.

You heard it hear first, people!