The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2013, 11:56 PM   #1
FlySubCompact

Can't find load data...Unique/.410g

I heard that Unique is a good all around powder for shot shells and cartridges.

Got lucky and found a pound to try, but cannot find and online source for load data. Alliant's site has data for Unique in about every shot shell except .410.

I have some primers and some Magtech all brass cases and would like to start experimenting with some light bird shot and heavier 000 buck loads. Searching here in the archives has not offered much info either.

I have found some links for black powder reloads and do have a bit of that, but I don't want to have to bath my .410 after every outing. Also found that you have to use larger than standard cards and wads with all brass cases.

Maybe someone here has already loaded some of these? Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Xfire68

Research before buying. Alliant has a powder just for 410. Guess what it's called? "410"!

Unique is a great powder for many loads from handgun to shotgun but, no one powder does it all.

From what I can see 410 loads need a slower burning powder then Unique.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:14 AM   #3
zxcvbob

You want to use a slower powder like 2400 or AA#9 or H110 to load .410

Blue Dot might work, but good luck finding data cuz it's actually a little too fast. I don't load shotshells, but I know their load data is very specific and you can't substitute much.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Marco Califo

Old Alliant Data

Old Alliant Data can be found here:
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...M/Alliant.html
However, .410 is an odd critter in terms of reloading and does not necessarily load with Unique. I looked at 1992 and saw no 410 loads using Unique. These old load books contain a lot more loads than the current Alliant site.
If you were loading for 12 gauge you would have no such trouble finding Alliant data for a range of powders. I have used Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, Unique (although I use this more for pistols), American Select, and also Winchester's WSL, WSF and others.
You can also find old load guides for other brands of powder on that same site.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

From what I know about 410 reloading when it comes to brass. Magtech's or 444 Rems. Those I've talked to said to load similar to what is found on 2-1/2 plastics. But you are right. All the written loadings I have on this subject. None have a listing using Unique. Although I see it listed for use in every gauge from 12 down to 28. (Apparently Unique is to hot for a small bore shotgun like the 410.) Wish I could help Sir.
For the time being looks like you'll have to find another application for that Unique you luckily found. If looking for additional info on this subject I would like to suggest Ballistic Products web site as a reference tool. Those fellers there are very knowledgeable about shotgun hull reloading.

S/S
Old January 27, 2013, 01:18 AM   #6
FlySubCompact

Thanks guys. Guess I'll look around for some of those other powders. I'll save the Unique for some of my 9mm loadings. I've only used w231 so far, so that will be fun trying some new recipes with the Unique anyway.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:50 AM   #7
Xfire68

Unique is great for 9mm. It is also great in my 10mm loads.

It's always best to find load data for the loads your trying to complete and then buy the components. I did the same thing you did when starting to load slugs in 12g. I bought the powder first (Blue Dot) then had trouble finding data for Lee 1oz slugs using Blue Dot. I did more research and found a number of loads using Herco and went out and bought some of that.