The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 01:00 AM   #26
medalguy

I hate the term "gun show loophole." Why don't we start taling about the "kitchen loophole" or the "back of the truck loophole"? It's the same thing.

And I thought we were innocent until proven guilty. Why should we have to submit to ANY kind of background check in order to buy or sell a legal commodity?
Old January 28, 2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Nothing has changed,except the focus onto semi autos "assault weapons", and that only because of the high profile mass killings done in very tiny numbers using them.
Actually, the change in focus was a deliberate one, and it didn't really have much to do with mass killings. The movement to restrict handguns had stalled out, and the idea was to invent the term "assault weapon" and make those the issue:

Quote:
Although handguns claim more than 20,000 lives a year, the issue of handgun restriction consistently remains a non-issue with the vast majority of legislators, the press, and public. (...) Assault weapons (...) are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons (...) can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:25 PM   #28
lcpiper

I still think, as loony as some want to make it sound, the only sound defense in all this is the real one.

The Constitution was written so that if need be we the people would be the last guarantee of our own freedoms. The fact that some want to attack the 2nd Amendment is proof that some want to attack them all. They are just taking advantage of the ignorant to get it done.

And yes, they are supposed to be dangerous.

As our good friend said "What are we supposed to use man, Harsh Language?"