The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 20, 2013, 01:45 AM   #1
idek

1894c: Wild West trigger kit or trigger job by gunsmith?

I have a Marlin 1894c, and I've been thinking about doing something with the trigger. It's not all that bad, but after putting Volquartsen trigger kits in my 10/22s and shooting those for a while, the 1894 trigger seems heavy.

I've seen the Wild West Trigger Happy Kit online, but that usually runs about $90 +shipping. A local gunsmith smoothed a trigger on my revolver for about $30 not long ago, and I assume he could work on the 1894 trigger for significantly less than $90.

So I'm wondering if anyone out there has suggestions on whether the Wild West trigger is worth it or if I should just take the gun to the smith.
Old June 20, 2013, 04:41 AM   #2
MarkDozier

go to marlinowners.com. do a search and read the comments.

here is how to fit the trigger

1. Open the action half way.
2. Remove the lever screw.
3. Remove the lever.
4. Remove the bolt.
5. Remove the ejector.
6. Depress the portion behind the trigger that the lever would press when closed, put your thumb on the hammer, pull the trigger and lower the hammer down to the receiver.
7. Remove the stock screw.
8. Remove the stock.
9. Push the hammer spring retainer to the left side and remove the retainer and spring.
10 Remove the hammer screw & pull the hammer out the top thru the tang.
11. Remove the bottom action screw - just next to the magazine tube.
12. Turn the rifle to the other side (left side) - remove the other action screw (lower middle of receiver).
13. Gently pull down on the lower receiver piece (where the trigger spring retainer sits).
14. Once off the rifle, look and find the small retainer pin that holds the trigger in place (really obvious). Pop it out to the left.
15. Push the factory trigger forward - towards the barrel. Pull down and remove. It's two pieces.
16. Push your WWG trigger (it's one piece) back into it's place.
17. Reverse procedure to re-assemble your rifle.
Old June 20, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
hoghunting

Quote:
A local gunsmith smoothed a trigger on my revolver for about $30 not long ago, and I assume he could work on the 1894 trigger for significantly less than $90.
Marlin's 1894 is a simple trigger to work on, if you're happy with the trigger job your gunsmith did on your revolver, I'd go back to him.
Old June 20, 2013, 02:17 PM   #4
idek

Thanks for the responses. I also checked the Marlin forum mentioned, and it seems like people were able to get good results without the $90 trigger. I think I'll try the smith.
Old June 20, 2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Miss Stana

Sounds like you made a wise choice to me.

AIC
Custom Rifles