The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2013, 05:16 PM   #1
603Country

BL-C(2) and 40 gr bullets in 223

Today, not being able to find the powders I really wanted, I bought several pounds of BL-C(2) to put behind some bullets I found recently. Normally, for small critter use, I shoot 40 Nosler BT's over H335, but I'm running low on both of those. I have a few hundred of the Sierra 40 gr Varminter (#1385), and they shoot pretty darn good over AA2230. Tomorrow I'll try them over the BL-C(2). Do any of ya'll have any info on that bullet/powder combination? Will that ball powder work better at the hot end of the scale like some ball powders do? Anything you wish to share would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just start at the low end and work to the hot end.

For what it's worth, the Sierra 40 grainers worked best in my rifle near max load of AA2230 behind the Sierra's. Didn't shoot quite as well as the Nosler BT's, but still shot pretty well.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:16 AM   #2
IcyOne

I tried BLC with 40 grain V Max and had no luck with accuracy and once I got close to max charge I had an incomplete powder burn so I gave up.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3
603Country

It took me a while, which was about 3 days of reloading and rethinking, but I finally found a pretty good load. For one thing, that short pebble-shaped little Sierra 40 gr Varminter probably isn't ever going to shoot like the 40 gr Nosler BT's I prefer. It seemed to be best with about 28 gr of BL-C(2) and I finally settled on 28.1 gr (about a third of the way from min to max). It was the distance off the lands that really made a diff with that bullet. The closer to the lands, the worse it shot. That was a surprise. It shot Ok at 2.215 and finally shot best at 2.20. Max length with that bullet is 2.31 to touch the lands. For what it's worth, I got best groups when using the Lee Collet Die.

The rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye with a 1 in 9 twist.