The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 12:46 PM   #1
MB21

Field stripping 1911 vs Glock

I have read and heard from many places saying one huge advantage of a Glock over a 1911. Just for giggles, I decided to field strip my 1911 3 times while timed. I managed to get it down to 20 seconds for field stripped and 1 minute, 10 seconds back together (including takedown time). Doesn't sound like that long a process to me.

How fast can Glocks be field stripped?

I might add that I have owned my 1911 about 8 months. It isn't like I have been doing it for a long time.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
dabluesguy

I think I saw Jason Bourne do it faster than that and the gun was being pointed at him at the time. I'll bet you can field strip a Glock a little faster than a 1911, but a Glock is much faster putting back together IMHO.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Gats Italian

A rapid field strip isn't on my list of criteria for a pistol purchase. I doubt it ever will be since I am both mechanically inclined and not a dimwit.

If someone can't field strip every semiauto they encounter, maybe a turn to revolvers is in order.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4
ttarp

I field stripped a buddies glock a few years back, I think it took me 10 seconds or so. I think its kinda neat and all, but it wouldn't sway me one way or another from purchasing either. What does give me a pause is guns that require tools or wrenches of some sort to break down.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Field strip? Slide off, barrel, guide rod and recoil spring out. Under 10 seconds, I'm sure. It's pretty trivial.

A quick field strip isn't something I obsess over.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; January 27, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:23 PM   #6
g.willikers

So, did Jason Bourne get shot doing that?
Don't Glocks need to have the trigger pulled and the striker fired before activating the slide release and being able to remove the slide?
Old January 27, 2013, 03:36 PM   #7
1911Tuner

Stripped

My timed/witnessed record for field stripping a 1911 is 8 seconds and back together in 12. Quick field stripping is a pretty good parlor trick, but probably doesn't have much practical application unless the gun is choked with gunk and the barbarians are at the gate.
Old January 27, 2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Heh.. ehh.. 3-5 seconds?
Old January 27, 2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Nytelyte

Quote:
Don't Glocks need to have the trigger pulled and the striker fired before activating the slide release and being able to remove the slide?
Yup.
Check that pistol is clear. Pull trigger. Pull slide back slightly, pull down takedowns, push slide off the front. Pop out spring, pull out barrel.

5 seconds or so.

About the same to put it back together.

Not sure why this is a big deal though...
Old January 27, 2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

I'd guess I could field strip my Glock in under 10 seconds easily. My 1911 takes a while longer than the Glock but overall both are very easy to do.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Hansam

I've never based my decision whether or not to purchase a gun on field stripping.

Never field stripped a glock but a 1911 isn't exactly brain surgery.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:11 PM   #12
9mm

My SA 1911 is a pain, getting the take down pin(aka slide stop) back in is almost impossible, there this tube(correct name)? that has a pin sticking out of it, which is like impossible to push back inside. *Note this tube touchs the safety switch.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm
My SA 1911 is a pain, getting the take down pin(aka slide stop) back in is almost impossible, there this tube(correct name)? that has a pin sticking out of it, which is like impossible to push back inside. *Note this tube touchs the safety switch.
That's the plunger tube.

Personally, I've never once had an issue field stripping or reassembling a 1911. I don't get the people who say that it's hard or time consuming; sometimes I wonder if their microwaves still flash "12:00". Sure, newer designs strip down faster and more easily, but as 1911Tuner said, there's really no reason for this to be a focal point of why people like or dislike specific guns. I've yet to come across a centerfire autoloader that's THAT much a pain to strip and reassemble. Now, some .22s can be tricky (Ruger), but those are different beasts.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:27 AM   #14
tipoc

Quote:
I think I saw Jason Bourne do it faster than that and the gun was being pointed at him at the time.
If I remember right that was in the first Bourne movie where he was fighting the two cops in a park I think and they were Sigs, not Glocks. Easier to field strip a Sig.

tipoc
Old January 28, 2013, 10:40 AM   #15
Gaerek

Not that speed of field stripping should be a factor in whether a gun is good or not, but I can strip my G19 in about 5 seconds if I do it quickly. I usually don't do it quickly because I'll triple check that it's not loaded before stripping, since you have to pull the trigger to strip a Glock.