The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2009, 07:46 PM   #1
fortkevin2

High Standard HD military .22

My dad received a High Standard HD military .22 pistol from my great grandfather that he had with him while serving in WW2. That's the story I've heard.

My questions are...
The pistol jams up no matter what ammo I use for it (CCI, Winchester, federal etc) about once or so every magazine. We are wondering if it is the magazine that is causing the problem. Has anyone had an experience with these pistols? Do they jam a lot etc? Does anyone know of any places where I can buy a new magazine for it? Thanks a lot!

Kevin
Old January 21, 2009, 10:21 PM   #2
saber9

Your jamming problem is almost 100% certain to be the magazine(s). High Standards are superb .22 pistols, but they are probably the most finicky pistols made about their magazines. Their magazines are their weakest link. While the original manufacturer closed down a long time ago, there is a new High Standard Company that purchased the manufacturing rights to them and have new production guns available as well as parts. I have only heard good things about their new production pistols. Their web site is:

http://www.highstandard.com

I would like one or two additional magazines for my High Standard and am considering ordering from them.
Old January 21, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3
fortkevin2

Thanks! I just started looking at their site and $49.50 seems like a lot to me! maybe I'm just cheap.... If anyone else has any more info please let me know! Thanks everyone
Old January 21, 2009, 11:02 PM   #4
matt nasty

Thats funny my great grandfather gave me his too. It does jam just like you said though.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:38 PM   #5
dreamer56

saber9 gave you the link - look for "magazine adjustments" on their website and then you just have to go to the range and try it - I have a Duramatic that had problems but once the magazine was properly adjusted it has consumed 1,000 rounds without a hitch.

And yeah, if you have to buy an original HS magazine they are expensive -

Enjoy - the HD is a blast to shoot.
Old January 22, 2009, 12:29 AM   #6
fortkevin2

I usually just read the forums but when I do post I usually have a problem and you guys always point me to the right direction. Thanks again and I’ll let you know how it goes when I go to the range.
Old January 22, 2009, 12:46 AM   #7
1SOW

Magazine feed lips can be adjusted: Find a bolt that the head will just rattle around a little inside the mag. Cut slots on the sides of the head of the bolt with a hack saw. Use these slots to 'tweak' the feed lips.
If the gun is that old, the mag springs might not meet specs. Wolff springs (gunsprings.com)has them.

rimfirecentral.com can help you.

My High Std isn't quite that old, but it's extremely ammo sensitive. It runs best with CCI "target" .

My local gunshow usually has my mags for much less $ than elsewhere.
Old January 22, 2009, 01:06 AM   #8
fortkevin2

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...?p=WX2&i=75914

sportsmnaguide looks like it carry's a magazine for my Great grandpa's .22. Does anyone know if this would work. for $20 shipped after the $10 off coupon I have it seems like a good deal. What do you guys think?
Old January 22, 2009, 06:20 AM   #9
darkgael

H-S mags

I would not order mags from SG. That is only because you do not know who the manufacturer is. There are a number of after-market H-S mags available that just will not work. Even when tweaked, they are made in a lighter gauge steel and will not hold the tweak.
Pete
Old January 22, 2009, 11:58 AM   #10
fortkevin2

Thanks,
I'll try messing around with the one I already have and if that doesn't work I guess all i can do is order one from High Standard. Thanks a lot guys!
Old January 22, 2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Luis

Problems with HS

Please read

http://www.highstandard.com/magazines.html

[IMG]http:[/IMG]

Luis

Last edited by Luis; January 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add picture
Old January 25, 2013, 12:10 PM   #12
knickldog

High Standard H-D Military

I also have my Grandfathers H-D Military. I need the user manual and cannot find it. I have seen this manual in sales posts. I anyone has one or knows where to get it please contact me.
Thanks
knickldog
Old January 25, 2013, 07:24 PM   #13
darkgael

Manual

For the manual try Steve's Pages.
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Pete
Old January 25, 2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Another one here with Grandpa's HD. I haven't had any extensive, or repeated jamming problems. Lucky I guess. I have had more than normal failures to fire. I think the hammer spring is a bit weak.
I use nothing but standard velocity, or match ammo, and although It doesn't get as much range time as some of my others, it's very accurate, and fun to shoot.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 25, 2013, 09:50 PM   #15
hootey

Try "Bob's Gunparts" @ www.gun-parts.com.
I have ordered from Bob's for years, including mags for older Hi-Standards. Never had a problem.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:16 PM   #16
factoryrat

try this
http://www.histandard.info/manuals/h.../0113D200R.pdf
or
http://www.histandard.info/manuals/h.../0221D200R.pdf

If you have other questions, there is a lot of info and folks w/experience over at rimfirecentral.com in the High Standard section