The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 4, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Bowhunter57

Sporterized Mosin-Nagant owner questions?

I've owned a Finnish M39 Mosin-Nagant and it shot 180gr. S&B ammo in a 1 1/4" group at 100 yards with open sights. I would imagine with a scope and some good reloads, that 1/2" groups wouldn't be out of the question.

Just the same, I'd like to hear from those of you that have scoped and reload for your Mosin-Nagant.

* What's the accuracy groups at 200 yards or more?
* What bullet size/weight are you reloading?
* Do you hunt with this rifle?

Thank you, Bowhunter57
Old July 4, 2013, 12:30 PM   #2
tahunua001

I haven't started reloading for mine yet but mine is scoped and it's about 3-4 MOA with crappy surplus and wolf.

this is almost like comparing apples to oranges though. the russians didn't care much about accuracy, fit/finish and other things that we take for granted today. the finns however had very strict guidelines for their guns and one of those guidelines was the ability to shoot MOA so your M39 is likely more accurate than most of the russian 91/30s like mine that just have an ATI rail and boyds stock slapped on.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old July 4, 2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Tempest 455

I would not butcher a Finn but I'm sure you already know that.

I took a regular mundane 91/30 and did this. Using Russian Match surplus, it so far has been a best of 1 MOA out to 400 yards on a pretty regular basis in good conditions. Have not shot it farther or re-loaded yet. I would like to get some dies, however and start making some good ammo for it.

Old July 4, 2013, 01:30 PM   #4
DPris

Have a 1940 Tula that's been sporterized, barrel at 22 inches, Rock Solid bolt handle & scope mount, Boyds stock, Leupold 3x9 scope.

Don't reload yet, it'll do 1.5 inches at 100 regularly with the surplus stuff I use in it.

The 1943 Izz PU sniper has done a best of three holes in 1 5/16 inches at 100 with Hornady factory stuff.

As long as the surplus stockpile holds up, I won't bother to reload for either rifle, or the '38 Tula in standard configuration, and I wouldn't have any interest in taking one hunting.
Denis
Old July 4, 2013, 04:55 PM   #5
tobnpr

My 91/30 will deliver better than minute of angle with 174 grain SMK's over 43.5 of Varget.

Pillar/receiver bedded into one of my Target stocks, Timney trigger, barrel cut to 22" with an 11 degree crown courtesy of a PTG cutter.

IMO, they're no different than any other bolt gun...it's all about the barrel... get one with sharp rifling, and a tight .311 groove dia. and it'll shoot.

Not precision rifles by any means, but they can shoot. I have no problems with a 10" gong at 565 yards at the range as long as I do my part.
Old July 5, 2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Bowhunter57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest 455
I would not butcher a Finn but I'm sure you already know that.
I agree. It has matching Sako markings on all the metal parts and crown stamps too. I only paid $80 for it, about 8 years ago.

Basically, all I need to do is purchase a .30 caliber barrel with my choice in length and finish, install it and get to work with the other accessories? I would purchase another Mosin-Nagant (Russian) with a solid action and the barrel needing replaced and go from there. I have a friend that has built some rifles and he could help me with getting this project off the ground.

That is a VERY sharp looking rifle you have there, sir!

Bowhunter57
Old July 5, 2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Tempest 455

Quote:
That is a VERY sharp looking rifle you have there, sir!
Thank you. My goal was to make it as tasteful as possible, It's a Boyds stock. I sanded and polished the barrel on a wool wheel. Everyone who does not know what it is thinks it's stainless. It's just a cut and crowned Mosin barrel.

Lot's of other mods, however. Timney trigger, pillar bedding, stock bedding. It was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uffJdspVmIw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_ygXvOaeQ
Old July 5, 2013, 06:32 PM   #8
Duzell

for a sporter its not out of the question, or even a scout, but id recommend a 9130.the better idea for distance and accuracy is the spotter setup, but it is going to be work and could start getting pricy.

with a solid scope+ mount i can say you can do your goal easily on a stable mosin nagant. 9130 is best, i feel because you can get alternatives stocks available as well as additional parts for it.

ive been working on my 9130 as a project target shooter recently, some good references on my thread on it, there from both me and other user inputs into the project. the current project is on page 4 --> 6 of the thread. hopefully this helps as the project exists as a source for mosin users.

a 360 view video of rifle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSXYrWwyC0

pic

Firearms Project(s): TM15:WIDOW 5.56/300
Old July 6, 2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Slopemeno

Bowhunter beat me to it- I need to get one of those Boyds stocks.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Bowhunter57

Tempest 455 and Duzell,
What are your thoughts of a Scout Scope and the standard "t-bolt" vs. how your rifles are set up?

Bowhunter57
Old July 6, 2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Tempest 455

The Rock Solid mount is a far superior mount. I did not consider really anything else after doing some research.
Old July 6, 2013, 11:06 AM   #12
tahunua001

if you feel like going through 6 pages worth of stuff Duzell has done a pretty detailed writeup on his sporterizing process and he originally went with a scout scope.

with the exception of one mix master type 53, every mosin I've ever picked up has a pretty stiff, gritty bolt and the short handles do not lend themselves to proper leverage so keeping a good sight picture with a scope would be impossible, especially since the T bolt sticks straight up and completely blocks your scope so I would probably say that it offers no real advantage other than slight magnification and the ability to zero at whatever range you want which can make a great difference if you're a good shot but if you're the kindof guy that regularly needs to make a followup shot on deer or some other target then the scout option is not the best.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:14 PM   #13
Duzell

scout vs sporter mosin

well as i originally started on the scout system, it was easy to modify with no permanent mods to rifle, it was useful and you could hit out, i feel to 200-300 accurately.
the VS

SCOUT
PRO

-scope is easy to use with both eyes open
-quicker target acquisition
-less modification needed
-stable scope platform, id recommend the brass stacker so you still can use irons, but will need a check riser on stock.

CONS
-limited amount of scopes for LER
-scopes are not usually dependable
-low magnification
-usually scout replaces the rear sight area unless brass stacker
-issues finding cases to fit the scout scoped rifles
-becomes front heavy

scout, suited best for hunting or quick target shooting

SPORTER
PRO

-common scopes work
-solid scope mount
-easy for accuracy increase
-fits many bags/cases easy
-weight is placed near center which balances the rifle out
CON
-limited rail systems
-big scope means big case needed
-must alter the rifle to fit mount and usualy a new bolt(RSI bolt + a receiver mount is good idea)

-suited best for distance, long range hunting (depending on scope), target shooting

Firearms Project(s): TM15:WIDOW 5.56/300