The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 12:09 AM   #26
TheDoubleDeuce

I physically focus my eyes on the target, and mentally focus my eyes on the front sight. I don't know if that makes sense, but I'm focusing downrange, so I see double sights, or an extra "ghost" sight. My dominant eye takes over to put the same "ghost" front sight on the target every time. It does take a little getting used to, but it feels similar to keeping both eyes open when I'm shooting skeet or trap.

I don't know if it's "correct", but that's what I do.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:49 AM   #27
Pops1085

But I was always told to have that front sight in crisp focus?
Old January 23, 2013, 12:56 AM   #28
TheDoubleDeuce

If i physically focus on the front sight I get the double image of my target, and somehow find that much more difficult to contend with. I have heard everyone say "FRONT SIGHT FRONT SIGHT FRONT SIGHT", and maybe I do it "wrong", but that's what is comfortable and works for me.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:55 AM   #29
Pops1085

I just found an article online that said you need to keep both eyes on the target but then adjust your dominate eye to bring the front sight into your focal plane. Does that sound about right??
Old January 23, 2013, 08:08 AM   #30
TheDoubleDeuce

Yes, that sounds like what I do.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:25 AM   #31
SgtLumpy

I've known a lot of guys that, in order to train themselves to keep both eyes open, cover their non-dominant eye lens on their eye protection. Don't those olympic rifle guys do something like that?

I've tried it and it's pretty relaxed. Both eyes open, yet you can see sights ONLY with your dominant eye. No squint, no forcing your dom eye to stay open. No ghost image. Your dom eye can ONLY focus on the correct image. There is only one image.

When I tried it, I simply covered one lens of a cheap, flip down sunglass adaptor thing with black paint. I thought it was a very successful experiment.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 23, 2013, 10:28 AM   #32
iraiam

It always takes me longer to bring a sight picture in if I leave both eyes open, this could possibly be overcome with more practice. I guess my eyes need more training, or rather, my brain.

Also, I can use my left eye alone, right eye alone, or both eyes open. With both eyes open it feels like I have to bring the sight picture in with my right eye, I'm guessing that I'm right eye dominant.

Although I just looked up on line how to tell and the simple test they demonstrated shows I'm left eye dominant every time.

That doesn't seem fair, I'm definitely right handed and left eye dominant?

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; January 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:18 PM   #33
TheDoubleDeuce

I'm the same way; right handed and left eye dominant. Try shooting pistols with your left eye. You might find it feels more natural if you're left eye dominant. Wouldn't recommend it for rifles though :-)
Old January 23, 2013, 12:21 PM   #34
Gaerek

One thing that worked for me was to "black out" (many ways to do this) the rear sight, and keep a dot on the front. It was very easy to get quick sight alignment with both eyes open. Some sights work better than standard 3 dots for keeping both eyes open. XS Big Dot, and Heine straight 8 both stand out to me.

I used to shoot with one eye opened, but once I switched to both open, my shooting got better and my groups tightened up a bunch. YMMV.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:48 PM   #35
Boncrayon

Both eyes open shooting?

I have the disadvantage of an astigmatism that requires my left eye to be closed to use my right eye dominance. Another fix when training is to place a leaf or piece of paper over the non-dominant eye behind the eye-ware protection.

Tags
defensive , semi-auto hand guns , tactics , technique