The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
robert1811

MP vs XD for carry opinions

I am considering a firearm for concealed carry other than my jframe 38. My friend just got a XD 45 the he keeps in a crossbreed supertuck and I was amazed when i saw the capacity of that bad boy. The trigger was sweet too, gosh it mustve been 5 lbs or something.

I honetsly dont like the feel of the XD though. Feels too much like a glock and I dont like the way they feel either. The MP looks sweet and Im leaning more towards (still have to pick one up to get the feel)

Which do you guys like? Have you shot both? Do you carry either one or maybe even both of them? What are you pros and cons?
Old January 21, 2013, 10:43 PM   #2
flashover251

I am a huge believer in finding the gun that fits your hand. Your buddy may shoot the the XD well but that doesn't mean that you will. The best advice I can give is handle the guns your interested in and you'll know when you find the one that fits.

I personally carry an XD 9 for ccw, but I chose that because the M&P just didn't fit me.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:49 PM   #3
bigghoss

I prefer the M&P series myself. If you don't like the feel of the XD, then why get one?
Old January 21, 2013, 10:55 PM   #4
robert1811

Well as I said I was leaning more toward the MP, I just wanted to see if there were any failures you guys were experiencing with one or the other. As far as feel goes I could get used to it after a few hundred rounds. Being proficient with many guns is good. Im simply asking for first hand experience with either or both. Were there any problems? Was the fit and finish up your liking on either of the guns? I was reading that springfield didn't have parts readily available to the XD, is this still true?

Thanks
Old January 22, 2013, 05:13 AM   #5
tristar viper

I prefer XD's by a mile over an M&P. M&P's have the worst triggers. That's why you hear so many say "put an Apex kit in it".
The M&P is a better carry gun though, lighter, smaller, and I'm talking about the M&P9C with no manual safety. That's what I had, but got rid of. The one I had also shot low and right I think.....didn't matter what ammo or anything else. But my Glock with the same ammo was dead on every time, and my wife's XD is dead on accurate as well. It is, as you say, kinda blocky and heavy though.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:23 AM   #6
tristar viper

And let me tell you why I bought an M&P to begin with, and subsequently sold it;
We were at the range, and someone rented an M&P9C. I shot it, could not BELIEVE how accurate and how nice the trigger was. I asked the rangemaster "has this gun ever had a trigger kit put in it?" He said "No."
So I went away pretty impressed, and days later bought one. Took it to the range to discover the trigger was HORRIBLE on my new gun....gritty, not smooth, and numb with no sense of when the gun would go off.
So I asked a friend of mine this time who works there if that M&P they rent had any trigger work done. He said "Oh yeah....months back something in the trigger mechanism broke and it went completely limp, so we repaired it here and upgraded to the Apex kit."
So I was duped I guess.

Last edited by tristar viper; January 23, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:25 AM   #7
EdInk

XD feels better to me and the M&P trigger feels lousy.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:36 AM   #8
TunnelRat

If the XD feels too Glocky for you take a look at the XDM. Miles ahead in ergos IMO. Plus you can get the XDM compact in your caliber of choice and have a decent carry/range pistol to boot with the two different capacity mags and grip lengths. I loved the XDM I had, thing was a hoot. 19 rds of 9mm make for some grinning mag dumps. Really regret getting rid of it. I also owned an XD45 Compact. Was a good gun, but did feel like a brick in the hand. Was rock solid reliable though and the capacity was impressive.

I've had two M&Ps and sold both. Honestly, I don't regret it. I think they are good service weapons and offer more than Glocks in some areas (mostly fitting the hands of different officers). I see them becoming even more successful with law enforcement. But the stock triggers are dreadful. I did an APEX trigger kit install myself, it's really not too hard, and that is IMO almost a mandatory upgrade for the difference it makes. I don't like their backstrap system. I like a backstrap to essentially make the grip wider front to back. The M&Ps do that, but more so add thickness to the grip. I get the idea is some kind of palm swell, but I just don't care for it.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:42 PM   #9
Rmart30

the XDM do feel much better than the XD does. So much to me I sold my XD's and replaced them with XDM's

http://www.gunbanobama.com <---MUST READ
Old January 22, 2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Justice06RR

Man, some of you guys probably suck at shooting M&P's...

I've owned a Glock19, M&P9, and XD40sc. I shoot the best with the M&P. No bias there, because that's just what I shoot the best with. The XD is a great pistol, and has a trigger much like the Glock's scissor-type safety but it has a short take-up before the trigger breaks. The Glock does not have the take-up and just breaks as you pull the trigger.

Nothing wrong with the M&P IMO, mostly just shooter preference and subjective experience. I shot my first IDPA pistol match with the M&P and was shooting bullseyes on the targets on the very first stage (and this was when I was a noob).

Each of them have a different balance, thickness, grip, and bore axis. Glock and M&P have a lower bore axis which makes them feel more natural. The XD has a thicker slide which kinda feels more front-heavy.

You can't go wrong with the M&P or XD, just go with which one you prefer. Dry fire both of them at the store and see which you like better.

Some people hate on the M&P trigger, I hate on the Glock trigger--and the Glock is my current EDC
Old January 22, 2013, 11:16 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
Man, some of you guys probably suck at shooting M&P's...
Aww, what a lovely contribution to the topic! Thanks for stopping by!
Old January 22, 2013, 11:48 PM   #12
breakingcontact

M&P...SHIELD!
Old January 22, 2013, 11:50 PM   #13
TunnelRat

^ Still need to try one.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:35 AM   #14
Officer's Match

Frankly I would try them all to see what works for you. And by try, I don't mean handling and/or dry firing - I mean real live range time. You can really get a surprise at what ends up working well in actual firing as opposed to just handling a gun at the counter. Best example to me is how utterly shootable the subcompact "babyGlocks" are when to my hands they felt just the opposite prior to actually shooting.

For simple ergo's the M&P stands out to me, but I seem to shoot Glocks better.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:14 AM   #15
Kreyzhorse

I prefer the XD. It is Glock like, but much more refined in my opinion. That said, it is your hand, not mine. Try them both and see how they feel in your hand. Try the trigger, see what you like best. Both are well made guns so you can't go wrong with either but it really is a personal preference.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:01 AM   #16
Hoosier_Daddy

My first recent pistol is a "full size" XDm 9 mm. My next was a M&P 9 Pro. I find myself grabbing the M&P first for range time and eventually leaving the XDm home n the bedroom safe. Can't say why but I just prefer the grip an feel of the M&P over the XDm.

I never wanted a Glock, never tried a Glock so I can't compare either to that brand.

When I wanted a compact I went with a M&P 9C rather thn the XDm 9 compact. The trigger wasn't as bad as I was led to believe but it did get better after a couple hundred rounds through it.

Then I wanted a smaller pitol for CC and went with the Walther PPS. I shoot better groups with the M&P 9c than I can with the PPS but the thinner and smaller PPS won me over for cc.

My neighor picked up a M&P 40 S&W Shield last fall. Pretty sweet unit. Too wide or me for cc.

So of my limited experiences I found the M&P in any size felt better in my hand than the others.

One other thing. My wife can barely pull back the slide of the XDm. She can better manage the slide of the M&P 9. The spring is tighter on the XDm. Its no problem for me and you but if there is someone else that will be using yours, best now to think about their abilities.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:15 AM   #17
Revolver1

No Brainer, M&P 45 C!
Old January 23, 2013, 09:23 AM   #18
Officer's Match

Quote:
No Brainer, M&P 45 C!
I really, really wish S&W would make exactly that size in a 9mm.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:45 AM   #19
EdInk

Yeah, I'm glad someone mentioned the XdM. It is rather nice too. Try both and see which you prefer to shoot. Both are good guns. As mentioned earlier, I prefer the XD (switched from a Glock 19) over the M&P because of the trigger mainly. FWIW if you want a polymer pistol with a nice trigger you can't beat an XD with a PRP competition trigger job.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:35 PM   #20
robert1811

The trigger on the MP I have heard was oging to be replaced by the MPsheilds trigger which has a nice reset and much better pull.

Gosh I am now looking (and kinda had been) at the Sig p250, Ruger sr40c along with the two I've mentioned and if you have any feedback on these guns as well I would greately appreciate it.

Has anyone bought a 2012 MP from july or newer? I think these have a better triggers than the originals. Any feedback?
Old January 23, 2013, 05:02 PM   #21
breakingcontact

Lots of rumors about M&P triggers. They aren't as bad as people say but they're not great.

Shield trigger is much better. Newer M&Ps do have a better reset than before.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:15 PM   #22
TunnelRat

I had a 2012 summer-assembled M&P and the trigger was as the same. I was told it would be some time before there was an upgrade. Again, I did the M&P APEX install with just the videos, a punch, hammer, and vise. It really wasn't too bad.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:52 AM   #23
allaroundhunter

I would recommend the M&P. I have had one for a little over a year and have put about 1,500 rounds through it. So far, I haven't had a failure at all. It is accurate, and I guess I am used to the trigger.

After shooting a friend's XDm in my last 3 gun competition, all I can say is that I am not a fan. The trigger was not nearly as good as I have heard, and ergonomically it just didn't feel anywhere near as good as the M&P.... However, the XDm is miles ahead of the XD (so that lets you know where I stand on the standard XD).
Old January 24, 2013, 08:10 AM   #24
Sheriff Gotcha

I rented both guns before buying my first gun... Not that it means much since both were poorly shot as it was my second and third times shooting. Anyways, I shot the XD the first time and the M&P the second, and shot the XD better.

Therefore, my preference would be XD, but if I come across a Shield you better believe I'd jump all over that. Both felt great in my hand though. Needless to say they are both quality guns, so either one you choose I am sure you will be shooting 1' groups in no time with a little time and practice.