The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Miami_JBT

Just bought a CZ-52 that was factory converted to 9x19mm

I went to my local gun store and they had one of the mid 90s CZ-52s brought in by Century Arms that were converted in the Czech Republic. The slide was reblued, the barrel was stamped 9mm Luger and it was marked on he slide
"Mod. 52 Mfg. by BRNO in Czech Republic
Imported by CAI St Alb VT"

Very well done... came with holster, spare magazine, and cleaning rod. Paid $249.00 for it. It did not come with a 7.62x25mm barrel..... does anyone know where I can get a spare 7.62x25mm barrel?

It's like having a glass window with a label saying "Caution: do not wipe with a hammer"
Old January 26, 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
CurlyQ.Howard

Would you post a photo of it if possible? Thanks.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:29 PM   #3
SteveBonning

A few months ago they were avail through Sportsman Guide. Also seen them at Bob's Gun Parts.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Doyle

"factory"

WHAT FACTORY?

There is no "factory" for those old CZ milspecs anymore. That died when the Soviet Union died. Just a bunch of guys in the Czech Republic doing conversions.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
There is no "factory" for those old CZ milspecs anymore. That died when the Soviet Union died. Just a bunch of guys in the Czech Republic doing conversions.
True. They may have been "converted" in a factory in BRNO, in the Czech Republic, but it wasn't done by the same CZ that made the gun. THAT CZ was a CZ different than the one that made the later handguns (such as the 75), although they were all part of a larger industrial complex. The current CZ is a privately owned company, not a Communist goverment enterprise, like the others. (More likely, the factory mentioned was a Century Arms "factory.")

I almost picked up a 9mm conversion myself, some years back -- and kind of wish I had. (It was only $99, and was "new in box".) Some of them were functionally challenged and didn't work worth crap, but others -- probably depending on who did the conversion -- worked just fine.

The OP should let us know how this particular one works.

There may be more involved in the "conversion" than just swapping barrels, so I wouldn't rush out and buy another barrel, until I've learned more about the differences. (It may be money wasted, if you do.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 28, 2013 at 01:18 PM.