The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Anyone Thinking About Picking Up The New Remington R1 Carry?

I got a little money for Christmas and have been thinking about a new firearm of some sort. I really don't need anything, though, so, it's been lots of looking so far. Of course, the panic buyers haven't left much to choose from. I almost bought a S&W 17-2 a couple of weeks ago, but just couldn't bring myself to give any money to this horrid local shop.

With all of the talk about "bans" I thought about waiting for a gen 4 G19, but I don't want to buy something just because of a threat of a ban. I will say I have been thinking about a G19 for a long time and the gen 4 seems to fit my hand a bit better than previous models.

Then I see that both Remington and Ruger are both offering Commander sized 1911s. I like the look of the Remington better than the stainless Ruger, though, but that's just me.

So, anyone else thinking about picking one of these up?

http://www.1911r1.com/en/Products/Fi...911-Carry.aspx

Here's the link to the Guns and Ammo review.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/r...-carry-review/

Last edited by Joe_Pike; January 21, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old January 20, 2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Cemo

Same here, just wanted to add something. I have several alloy 1911's and recently I have been thinking about an all steel mil-spec one, more or less. So, today, while visiting a new-to-me gun store, I ran across a NIB Remington 1911 R1 Stainless today and it followed me home. Although it is stainless and has three dot sights, it has the same feel and heft as the one I carried in Vietnam. Happy!
Old January 20, 2013, 06:48 PM   #3
TennJed

Big fan of my R1 Stainless
Old January 20, 2013, 07:32 PM   #4
dayman

The new Remington does look like a pretty nice gun, but it's not commander size. It still has the 5" barrel.
It does have a lot more of the bells and whistles missing from earlier versions, but what makes it a "carry" version seems to be having everything dehorned and adding a front night sight.
From glancing at their lineup it seems that they're all government size, so if you're set on a commander size the new ruger just became an easier choice.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
bricz75

Off Topic, comment about CCOs: OP mentioned Rem. and Ruger Commander models. Rem. and Ruger should make a CCO model (officer frame, Commander slide). The issue with concealment is more with height than length from what I have been reading. Any comments about this?
Old January 20, 2013, 08:15 PM   #6
lamarw

Guns & Ammo had an article about the new Remington R1 Commander. The specs sited in the article stated it has a 4.25" barrel. Overall length is 8" and the weight is 35 ozs. MSRP was listed as $1,299.00.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

I don't know why I was thinking it was a Commander size. Bummer. Plus, I also didn't catch the $1,299. Looks like it may be the Ruger.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:02 PM   #8
AdamSean

I am! I have been looking for a commander sized 1911 and just don't like the Kimbers.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Joe_Pike

Okay, Guns and Ammo reviewed a Commander size "Remington R1 Carry" but the only "R1 Carry" I see is the one I linked to and it is not a Commander size. I wonder who is wrong.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Constantine

Saw one at the gunshow this weekend. Looked great, felt great, and smelled great.

But too early in it's production for me to even try.

I've been losing money on selling / trading / gifting guns lately. Some my fault, and some cause they're getting messed up and my patience is growing thin.

I would personally wait it out. Never know what kinks it may or may not have yet.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old January 21, 2013, 03:00 PM   #11
PetahW

Lamar & Guns & Ammo are correct - The R1 Carry has a 4-1/4" Commander-length barrel/slide and a steel frame, making it basically the modern Remington version of a 70's Colt Combat Commander.

Too bad Remington didn't see fit to introduce an alloy-framed LightWeight Carry (Commander).

Old January 21, 2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Joe_Pike

That's really strange that Remington would have the "R1 Carry" on their site listed as a 5" barrel. Oh, well, I don't have $1,300 to spend anyway. I was hoping that it might be priced more like the Ruger.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:45 AM   #13
dayman

That is strange.
I just read the G&A review, and they definitely got a commander size gun.
But Remington has it listed as 5" barrel on their site, and the picture they have up looks like a government size too.
Do they have 2 versions of the carry?
Old January 22, 2013, 10:06 AM   #14
PetahW

I would WAG that G&A got a look at a pre-S.H.O.T. gun, with the website to be updated after the formal intro @ S.H.O.T.

Old January 22, 2013, 01:23 PM   #15
ScotchMan

Quote:
Off Topic, comment about CCOs: OP mentioned Rem. and Ruger Commander models. Rem. and Ruger should make a CCO model (officer frame, Commander slide). The issue with concealment is more with height than length from what I have been reading. Any comments about this?
YES
4. Equipment
Old January 22, 2013, 09:04 PM   #16
LockedBreech

I really liked the R1 Stainless that I held, but is there any reason why the price spiked on the Carry & Commander models? The price is edging into Colt/Springfield territory, and while The R1 is a strong contender in the $600-800 bracket, it faces very stiff competition any higher.
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W - Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para - Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP - Colt 1968 Detective Special .38 Spc. - Ruger LCP .380 ACP - Daniel Defense M4V1 Carbine 5.56x45 - Alpine Industries M1 Carbine .30 - Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 8x56 - Ruger 10/22 .22LR - Remington 870 Express Tactical 12GA - 1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R
Old January 22, 2013, 09:10 PM   #17
Pud

I was interested in the R1.
But, after an LGS got a Ruger SR1911 CMD in, I went for the Ruger.
And, I am EXTREMELY happy with it!
Not sayin' the Remington is bad or anything....
Pud
Ruger P97 / Ruger SR1911 CMD / Ruger SR9c / S&M M&P 15 Sport/Ruger Mk 3 22/45.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:34 PM   #18
gpjoe

Looks like the current R1 Carry is merely a full-size (5") 1911 that is dehorned, has an ambi safety, checkered front and rear strap, beavertail with speed bump, and Novak sights with a front tritium insert.

They are supposed to come out with the Commander length gun, which is the version reviewed in Guns and Ammo. But if the price is going to be $1300, they face some stiff, well-established competition.

I paid around $1000 for my stainless steel Colt Commander XSE and wouldn't trade it for the Remington plus cash. I know the street price of the R1 will less than retail, but I'd still take the Colt.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:54 PM   #19
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud View Post
I was interested in the R1.
But, after an LGS got a Ruger SR1911 CMD in, I went for the Ruger.
And, I am EXTREMELY happy with it!
Not sayin' the Remington is bad or anything....
Pud
You already have an SR1911 CMD? Jealous!
Old January 22, 2013, 10:03 PM   #20
lamarw

I don't know either LockedBreach. It appears the carry/commander has many of the features of the enhanced R1. The picture from the G&A article depicted an elongated beaver tail (a feature I would not want in a carry pistol), aluminum skeleton trigger with an overtravel adjustment screw, and tons of serrating on the fore and aft of the the grip, torx head grip screws, and probably numerous other nuances. Not sure what would double the price over the basic R1.

In my book, it seems some pistols make the attempt to be the best of everything as opposed to just good for a central theme. As an example not just a good carry pistol but also a pistol with target features. Then on top of it all a pistol with all the bells and whistles many folks seem to want to add on to customize their guns.