The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 23, 2013, 04:18 PM   #1
scrubcedar

Philadelphia paper gun incident

It's happened again, some school official idiot has terrified and persecuted a child over something harmless that resembles a gun.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/23...est=latestnews

Aren't there laws to prosecute this?

If this idiot had done this to one of my children I would be taking apart the Administration building brick by brick to get to this guy.

Isn't this some form of verbal assault or harassment?
Old January 23, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
sigcurious

That reminded me of this. I'm barely in my 30's and it already seems like I went to school in a different time. Unfortunately with the way school policies seem to be going, there seems to be little recourse for incidents like this. They might be lucky and get an apology.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:18 PM   #3
scrubcedar

I posted on that one too.
These teachers and administrators seem to be completely out of control.

I know that there are civil lawsuit type of ways to redress this but, if it were my kids, we would be sitting down in front of a LE officer, the higher the rank the better, within an hour.
I would either want an investigation or a darn good explanation why one wasn't possible.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:21 PM   #4
JimDandy

The simple answer is that the girl with the bubble gun almost certainly violated school policy. The girl with the paper gun arguably could have, though the school board would have to really stretch and hold their ground. Most school districts have a zero tolerance policy for guns and gun threats... cap, squirt, bubble or semi-automatic is all the same to them. Give it long enough and someone will get in trouble for glue- and/or tape guns.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:45 PM   #5
scrubcedar

I see what you're saying JimDandy, but I think that it is clear, especially in the second case, that behavior at least bordering on verbal assault was used on a very young child.
If they had suspended or even expelled these children they would be jerks, but within the law. School rules, school punishment, I get that.
An adult, in a loud voice, with no parent present, threatening arrest,which as people who were not officers of the law they clearly could not accomplish, seems to me to be the very definition of a terroristic threat. Clearly it worked, the child was terrorized.
Notice the parents weren't there while these children were being bullied, can you imagine what they (or you) would do if present at the time?
Old January 23, 2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Dr Big Bird PhD

Lawyer would be on the phone with me right now thats for sure.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 24, 2013, 12:15 PM   #7
JimDandy

You'd have to get a lawyer from that area to fill in the exact details, but teachers have pretty broad powers, at least around here, when parents aren't around bu the in loco parentis doctrine. There are limits, but I imagine that varies.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:36 PM   #8
scrubcedar

You may very well be right Jim,unfortunately,but after having a night to think about this something fairly disturbing occurred to me.
Let's say you or I had been in the room watching an adult behave in such a manner to a young child.
I don't know about you but I sure would have been forced to step in and defend the child, mine or not.
There were at least two adults, and in all likelihood by this time more, in that room. Everyone thought it was okay to treat this child this way? At the very least wouldn't step in to stop it?
Who are we sending our kids to every day they go to school? We've now seen enough of this behavior to know this is not one isolated incident, we have numerous examples of children being treated this way for things that could never be used as, or mistaken for, real weapons.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Woody55

This is all part of "stamping out the gun culture." If children are afraid to mention guns, draw pictures of guns or make their fingers look like they are holding a gun, then they surely will be afraid of the real thing.

It isn't going to happen overnight. It will take a generation.

So, get off your ass and go to a school board meeting. Find out the policy. Put pressure on the board to change it.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:59 PM   #10
hermannr

No, this is where YOU (and/or your wife) start your run for the school board positions. Get your gun owning frinds to do the same...take over the school board, and it is your turn for payback....Administrators are on normally on "at will" contracts...time to clean up.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Woody55

That works. My daughter is doing this. Not for that reason, but she shoots.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:39 PM   #12
MLeake

I don't foresee such things happening in our local school system, when our son starts.

If something similar were to occur, I would have a very hard time not showing the adults who did such a thing to a child what it feels like to be intimidated. Of course, I would do my best not to do or say anything actionable.... But I am one of those guys who normally looks (and is) puppy-dog friendly, but people tend to get out of my way in a hurry when I am angry.

Call it the Sicilian scowl.

Somebody in a position of authority intimidating any little kid, let alone one from my family, would make me very angry.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:30 PM   #13
scrubcedar

I wonder if there is a database that lists school boards. Does anyone know of one?
Old January 24, 2013, 08:54 PM   #14
USMC EOD

These idiots running these schools are a bigger threat to our society than the imagined threats they are embellishing through the power they yield. It is just disgraceful how these morons bully the kids they are supposed to teach.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:40 PM   #15
kilimanjaro

We will need twenty years to take our schools back from these type of idiots. Run for the PTA, School Boards, whatever it takes, and start voting 'No', hanging the jury so to speak, on any and all such forms of totalitarian groupspeak behavior. We're going to have to get the unions out of the schools, cut salaries, cut budgets, cut frivolous programs, a lot of things, to get these folks out.