The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 07:36 AM   #1
RoosterBooster3632

Smith & Wesson M&P 22

Anyone shooting one of these? I looked at one at the local gun dealer yesterday and really liked it. Thought it was nice that it was similar in size to some of my larger caliber autos. Thought maybe it would be an inexpenisve way (22LR) to get a good deal or shooting / handling in while shooting cheap ammo but still handling a gun that is similar is size to my other autos.

Does anyone have one of these? What are your thought on this gun? What did you pay? Local gun dealer is asking $349 which I didn't think was bad since the MSRP on the S&W page is $419.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:27 AM   #2
LelloBeetle

I just picked one up last week for about that price. Maybe 5 or 10 more. Haven't played with it, yet. Too cold here in Pittsburgh. I, too, liked it for relatively cheap shooting and as a trainer for the rest of the line. Very happy with my purchase. Grip is a tad big, but my husband will shoot it when I'm using something else at the range, so that's okay.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:24 AM   #3
P1090

I've had mine for almost a year now; bought it last February. I don't have any other M&P series pistols, so I can't say it's for training. I bought it for plinking fun and for use as in introduction gun for new shooters. Everyone who has used it has liked it so far. It groups pretty well, has no noticeable recoil, and is extremely inexpensive to shoot. Mine has more than paid for itself shooting .22 instead of 9mm/.45 for fun. Easy enough to strip and clean, no complaints on that front. Have not been keeping a round count, but it's easily over 2000. Every time I go shooting, it comes with me and gets at least 200 rounds, even if I'm alone. When I have someone else, it gets more.

The grip fits my XL-size-glove hand comfortably, but my mother and sister have had no complaints either with their much smaller hands. It's a fixed medium M&P grip if I remember correctly.

However, mine isn't a big fan of anything other than Minimags so far. I tried to run some bulk stuff at the beginning and it didn't take, so I've been running CCI since. Should probably go back and try the bulk again now that it's definitely been broken in. Magazines are a little expensive (2 for $30ish last year and 2 for $40 the other day) but have been reliable so far. Sights are a white dot front and height adjustable only black in the rear. The rear sights seem a little cheap to me, but they work fine and hold zero. YMMV.

If I think of anything else to add to this, I'll add it.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
gilfo

I bought mine because of the double action like trigger. All my guns are double action so I think a perfect cheap to run trainer. Most other 22's are da/sa.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:16 AM   #5
h2otoo

Got one last month. Only fired a few mags through it. But like it alot. They were on sale from the supplier to the lgs, he pasted it on to retail. Got it for 314$ plus tax. Last week I notice the newer arrivals were more, sale over. BE CAREFUL, after buying the M&P22 I went and got the 9, and last week put the 9c on hold till I get back this week. YOU've BEEN WARNED!

Bob
Old January 20, 2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Rmart30

Had mine for about a year now and bought it for a cheap fullsize trainer..
break it in with some of the good stuff and after about 200 rds mine now eats the bulk stuff with no problems.

http://www.gunbanobama.com <---MUST READ
Old January 20, 2013, 09:29 PM   #7
mrlizzzard

Love mine wish my MP 9 was as accurate.good gun.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:40 PM   #8
sigarms228

I don't own any M&Ps but I handled the M&P22 at the LGS today and thought it was pretty sweet and the price was right at $350. Of course they would not let me dry fire it so I could not test out the trigger. I like that it is a full size pistol. I tried a Ruger SR22 and it was just too small for me. I am looking at possibly getting one for my wife to learn shooting pistols with and some time I will have her handle it and see how it fits her and hear what she says. I do have a Ruger Mark 1 and it is great but I want to try someting different and the Rugers are a real PIA to break down and put back together.

Good luck with your new one and let us know how you like it.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Single Six

Way ahead of ya, pardner...I picked mine up NIB for about $100.00 less than MSRP at the last show. I bought it expressly for monthly practice; and so far, I'm enjoying it immensely.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Single Six

+1 on what Sigarms228 said..the Rugers are indeed a major pain to field strip. Anything that requires a rubber mallet for coming apart [as recommended in the instruction manual] is off my list!
Old January 20, 2013, 09:48 PM   #11
sigarms228

Quote:
Anything that requires a rubber mallet for coming apart [as recommended in the instruction manual] is off my list!
The first time I took it apart it took me about half a day to get it back together and I was not sure exactly how I did it - extremely frustrating. This was a few years back before there were YouTube videos that show you how to do it but I still hate it and don't do it until the pistol starts to malfunction. Other than that I just clean the barrel carefully from the muzzle end.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:42 AM   #12
Achilles11B

I've had mine for about six months and love it. Haven't put anything in it besides CCI Minimags but it's reliable and accurate with it so I haven't felt the need to change something that works.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:48 AM   #13
Hiker 1

I have one - very nice shooter.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Mr_Jumper

Also +1

Have had mine for few months, I've shot over 2000 rounds easily. I've ran CCI Minimags for first 200-300 before switching to federal and wwb bulks. Only problem I've had was 2 ftf on wwb bulks out of 500. Federal bulk has been flawless so I use that exclusively now.

I've compared SR22 with M&P 22 before purchase and it has easily won over the SR22 - very easy to field strip and clean, holds like a full sized pistol. Range test was just as good as it proved to be quite accurate. I recommend it.