The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 25, 2013, 09:14 AM   #1
The Scientist

Vortex Viper, Which one for AR?

I have one AR outfitted with a Nikon M223 3-12 BDC, with the coinciding M223 mount (w/ the 20 MOA). I'd like to get a Vortex Viper, using the same Nikon mount, to outfit a 2nd AR that I recently was happy to purchase. Anyone with the Vortex Viper on their AR care to give their opinion, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:47 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Can you get the Nikon 20mao mount in 30mm? Mine is 1" and the Vortex Viper 1-4 is a 30mm tube.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:27 PM   #3
mikikanazawa

To get proper eye relief you'll need to use either a cantilevered mount, or use a standard mount or standard rings with the front ring attached to a railed forend.

A problem with the railed forend approach is that the rails on the forend never line up properly with the rail on the upper receiver. You can ream the rings, but the forend is not as stable as the upper so eventually the alignment will drift.

The best solution in my opinion is an A.R.M.S. "SWAN" sleeve with A.R.M.S. #22 quick-release rings.

If you prefer the cantilever mount, I like LaRue.

PS: I don't have a Viper on my AR; it's a different scope but similar in size.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4
The Scientist

At madcratebuilder:

This is why I'm glad I ask these questions. Another example of ignorance... so I appreciate your help. Dangit, I was hoping to use that mount because it is solid and fairly priced.

Do you guys think the RRA cantilevered mount would be good for use with a Viper? Any Viper better than another? Thanks.

Last edited by The Scientist; January 25, 2013 at 08:32 PM.