The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Highlander1

Need Advice - Best Range and Possibly Competition Shooting Option

I'm new to pistol shooting (lots of rifle time), but have become involved with a group of friends that are regulars at the range and I am really enjoying the experience.

I've decided, after a lot of advice, and research here and in other worthwhile forums, to go with a 9mm. The gun will only be used at the range, and later on, hopefully, for some limited, local competition shooting.

I've narrowed it down to a few guns and could really use some expertise on what my best option would be:

Springfield XDM 5.25 Competition

Glock 34

Sig Sauer P226R Elite Dark Threaded Barrel

CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical

Any assistance and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Highlander1; January 20, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2
dayman

Any particular reason to want the threaded barrel?
If not, out of the options there I'd say the XDm or the Glock - whichever feels better in your hand.
Just because they're both set up specifically for target shooting.

You may also want to look at 9mm 1911's as - for target shooting at least - it's hard to beat the trigger.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Highlander1

Is the threaded barrel a negative?
Old January 21, 2013, 02:00 PM   #4
djcantr

I have a Glock 35 I use for competition. Have it setup with magwell, fiber optic front sight, extended mag and slide releases, trigger work, stippled frame and extended base pads for mags. If going Glock, might consider the 35 over the 34 if you're going to get into USPSA. You can put a 9mm conversion barrel in it for Steel Challenge, 3 Gun, etc or shoot the .40 S&W barrel for USPSA. You'll want the .40 S&W there so you can shoot major power factor as it changes the scoring.

I haven't shot any of the others you listed. Are you able to shoot any of them before buying? I like the internal frame rails and low bore axis of the CZ, though, again, I haven't shot one. I'd sure like to try one out. The most important thing for your decision is what fits your hand best and what you shoot best.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Pistola Pedro

If it's purely a range gun or something you never intend to carry, I really think that you would most enjoy something that is SAO and heavy ( not a polymer ). I have to second the 9mm 1911, which I know isn't on your list, but I can just about guarantee that you will never fire a more fun to shoot pistol. Check out the STI line. The Spartan is a great entry level 1911 and they just get sweeter from there.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Roland Thunder

Of the ones you listed I would go with the Sig 226 or the CZ
Old January 21, 2013, 04:24 PM   #7
chris in va

Quote:
Is the threaded barrel a negative?
You're paying extra money for a feature you won't use unless you want to spend another $700 for a supressor.

Understand, the Glock has a shallower grip angle. It takes getting used to.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Billy the Kidder

I had been shooting a G19, so the natural progression was a G34 for shooting in my league. I haven't been disapointed.