The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 2, 2013, 02:14 PM   #1
crich

Smith & Wesson dilemma

So I picked up a SW40VE from a friend of mine for a whopping $220 with two mags an IWB holster and case. Bought it for the price and I've never owned a .40cal so I figured why not. Considering these things go for 300 and up pretty regularly in my area, I don't know if I want to flip it and make a quick 80-100 bucks towards a better gun or maybe throw some cerakote on the slide and keep it as a beater/truck/hunting sidearm. Or even just leave it as is and bring it out when friends want to go to the range with me. The frame is cheap and the trigger is crappy however I can shoot it pretty well. What would you guys do?
Old September 2, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Theohazard

If you need the money for another gun you really want, it might make sense to flip it for a profit. Otherwise I'd hold onto it if I were you. I'd leave it stock and use it for a beater/truck/range/hunting gun like you said.
Old September 2, 2013, 02:45 PM   #3
buck460XVR

A dependable pistol that I shoot pretty well for $220? Sell it and get what? A $300 gun that's a tad prettier and I might shoot as well and may or may not be dependable? One can't expect much for $200. Comes down to what you want and for what purpose. Me, I don't like .40s and don't like the SW40VE. I wouldn't have bought it to start with. Used SW40VEs around here sell for right around what you paid for yours. Since there wouldn't be a lot of profit in it, the effort to turn it over for a few bucks ain't worth the time and effort to me......but that's just me. When I buy a firearm, I already have a purpose for it and a niche to fill, it's not an impulse buy....unless it's really a screamin' hot deal.

I wouldn't worry about the finish on a $200 truck gun, it ain't gonna be a family heirloom. If you keep it, don't waste any more money on it as long as it shoots well. Just shoot it.
Old September 2, 2013, 04:40 PM   #4
RCP Fab

Nothing wrong with a SW40VE. Take the gun apart, and get some 2500 grit sand paper and polish all the metal parts that move when you pull the trigger. Search on how to lighten the trigger pull, do that if you feel comfortable with it.

Will it ever be a single action range gun. No.

Will it will be a good reliable double action gun. Absolutely.
Old September 2, 2013, 05:21 PM   #5
DnPRK

There is a $21 spring kit to lighten the trigger pull
https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid66.html
Old September 2, 2013, 06:59 PM   #6
crich

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the 40cal either which is one reason why I'm a little torn on what to do. Probably the reason why I've never bought one. The first thing I did was polish the trigger and yank out a spring and it made a huge difference. Still not the best but it's manageable for sure. Reminds me of a Nano trigger but heavier. I think I'll do what a few of you have said and just roll with it. The finish is actually in pretty good shape so for the price I can't beat leaving it in my console and dragging it through brush. I cant justify leaving a $600 gun in my truck only for some ahole to break in and take it. You never know. Summer time in SC I only carry a bodyguard .380 since I don't have a jacket. I'd rather carry comfortably than not carry at all I guess so I always have something else tucked in a compartment.
Old September 2, 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

SD9/SD40 series....

I looked at a new SD9 9x19mm & was not impressed, .
Im not a smuggy buggy or snob, but S&W really cut a lot of corners on the fit/finish of these entry level pistols.
I guess it's the 2010s version of the ill fated SIGMA(which led to a huge legal spat with Glock).
Id suggest buying a M&P pistol or maybe a Walther PPX or SR9/SR40.
The SIG P250 line is DA only & modular.
A local shop I saw today had a 2SUM offer with a SIG P250 full size & sub-compact in 9mm. The sale price was $699.00 USD, new in box.

Clyde
PS; Id also look at the highly rated Metalife SS C. It's a grey/nickel color that costs about $78.00 for a slide/barrel/parts. Author & tactics instructor: "Chuck Taylor" suggests Metalife SS C to gun owners/class students. He also likes NP3.
Old September 2, 2013, 07:55 PM   #8
RCP Fab

Quote:
I looked at a new SD9 9x19mm & was not impressed, .
The SD9 is a $400+ gun, is it worth it? Not the point. We're talking about a gun that costs half that.

Quote:
Im not a smuggy buggy or snob, but S&W really cut a lot of corners on the fit/finish of these entry level pistols.
Who cares? It's comfortable to hold, and shoots reliably.

Quote:
I guess it's the 2010s version of the ill fated SIGMA(which led to a huge legal spat with Glock).
He is talking about a SIGMA. Ill fated by a bunch of people on the internet because of the heavy DA trigger.

Quote:
Id suggest buying a M&P pistol or maybe a Walther PPX or SR9/SR40.
Again, not $220 guns.

Quote:
The SIG P250 line is DA only & modular.
A local shop I saw today had a 2SUM offer with a SIG P250 full size & sub-compact in 9mm. The sale price was $699.00 USD, new in box.
Again, not $220, and from some one who has owned, and put 100's of rounds though two p250's (fine guns, I enjoyed them a lot), the SW40VE is a better shooting gun.
Old September 3, 2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Erikbal

Re: Smith & Wesson dilemma

I say keep it as a beater/truck gun. They're not the best in the world but I've heard they are pretty reliable.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Lordy123

I sold my SW9VE for $300, and I regret it, a little work to the trigger and a hogue slip on made that thing shoot really well for the 250 I paid for it.