The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 3, 2013, 10:00 AM   #1
druryj

I'm so confused! Sig p239 or Glock 19?

I have both; like both; shoot both well. They are "almost" the same size. The Glock holds more rounds. The Sig is prettier. The Glock is polymer; the Sig is an all-metal gun. They both carry well in similar IWB holsters; the SIG maybe just a tiny, tiny bit more comfortably. I seek guidance here first before further action...possibly professional help to solve my dilemna. Which one should be my EDC?

Last edited by druryj; September 3, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old September 3, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Nathan

The Glock has the same trigger pull everytime. IMO, that is the tiebreaker.
Old September 3, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
blackamos

You can't go wrong with either one.
Old September 3, 2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Constantine

They're both great.

I carry a Glock 19 religiously...
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old September 3, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Worc

The Sig is a DA/SA with decocker. For that reason alone, I would go with the 239
Old September 3, 2013, 01:08 PM   #6
druryj

Thanks to the four of you above; wise and learned men all ye must be...but I know all of these four things already; tell me something new please; tell me of something I am missing out on.
Old September 3, 2013, 01:23 PM   #7
BarryLee

While I own neither specific model I do own guns from both manufactures. One distinction between the two is that the GLOCK has the ability to use any 9mm magazine all the way up to 33 rounds.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 3, 2013, 01:29 PM   #8
manta49

Quote:
The Glock has the same trigger pull everytime. IMO, that is the tiebreaker.
True the trigger is bad every pull. I don't see the dilemma pick the one you like best.
Old September 3, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Constantine

Quote:
True its bad every pull. I don't see the dilemma pick the one you like best.
See his opinion OP? To me is just an opinion, untrue and blunt. To each their own.

As for something you don't know? You can look up a lot of the differences online. No one has the same hands, fingers, body types, and most importantly, mind.

So you'll need to see for yourself which one feels better for you. Whichever you shoot best and suits your needs. If you're okay with less rounds or would prefer more rounds. Striker fired or hammer fired. Polymer or alloy. No one can really tell you what to get.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old September 3, 2013, 02:08 PM   #10
druryj

But I already do have and do shoot both of these guns. I don't think poorly of the Glock trigger; not at all. I like the way it resets actually. The Sig probably could benefit from the SRT and it might make it better. I take them both shooting and don't seem to have a problem switching from one platform to another. Totally different guns...I just don't know which I prefer. I'm getting a headache.
Old September 3, 2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Herr Walther

I don't know what makes anyone think that a traditional DA/SA pull is bad. I rather like it and wouldn't own anything else.

I want that first heavy pull, and subsequent lighter pull shots for follow up.

I could say something about not being able to learn the muscle memory required for a DA/SA handgun but I will refrain from general insults.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old September 3, 2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Constantine

OP...they're both great guns. Best point for me? They don't have an external safety. I carried my SIG P226 for 3 years. Loved that thing. I still have it and still love it. I carry my Glock now for my own personal reasons..I really don't know what else to tell you. Sorry.
Old September 3, 2013, 02:16 PM   #13
allaroundhunter

I'm so confused! Sig p239 or Glock 19?

Just alternate carrying each of them?

If not, then carry the Sig. You said it yourself, it is more comfortable (even if only slightly).
Old September 3, 2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Worc

Quote:
While I own neither specific model I do own guns from both manufactures. One distinction between the two is that the GLOCK has the ability to use any 9mm magazine all the way up to 33 rounds.
The OP is speaking of EDC and IWB. No thanks on 33 round magazines. That kind of concealment only works in the movies/TV.

No one else can tell you which gun you should like the best any more than what color you should like the best.

Sig and Blue is what you should like the best though
Old September 3, 2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Old Stony

How about just starting your day with an "eenie...meanie...miney....moe...??
Problem solved....
Old September 3, 2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Uncle Malice

Both are good guns, but the P239 is by far my least favorite Sig. Capacity vs size/weight is just silly. If you want a CCW Sig, look at the P938.

I would go with the Glock 19 though. To me, it's one of those guns that I think everyone should own. It's size+capacity+weight nearly breaks physics.

The P226 or P220 is another one that I think everyone should own. I love Sigs... just never really liked the P239... and I've owned it in 9mm, 40, and 357 sig.
Old September 3, 2013, 03:03 PM   #17
Joe_Pike

A G19 is $500. A P239 is , what, $800+? Carry the Glock. If you have to give it up after an incident it's less to worry about. That's all I've got.
Old September 3, 2013, 03:16 PM   #18
ZBoater

Quote:
I have both; like both; shoot both well.
Easy. The G19. 15 rounds instead of 8. Since you have both, shoot both well, and like both, then go with the one that has more rounds. I have both but I like the Sig better than the Glock. It just feels better in my hand and I shoot it better, but I would carry a Sig P229 for the 15rds...
Mossberg 500, M590A1, Remington 870
Old September 3, 2013, 03:52 PM   #19
Nathan

I think you need to do a pro vs con of your own experiences. The best we can do is tell you what we did and why....

For example, I carry a Kahr P40 over both...It is:
Smaller
Lighter
40 S&W which is as effective of a caliber as you can get in this frame size
Carries enough rounds for me 7
Has a 1 feel trigger that is similar to my other CCW S&W DAO revolver
Has great night sights
Has a black DLC finish
I shoot it well to about 10 yards with speed

Just my pro list.....cons
Not enough rounds
Recoil is snappy
25yd accuracy is slow
Old September 3, 2013, 05:42 PM   #20
gav1230

The Glock is waaay cheeper. So I'd go with it.
Old September 3, 2013, 06:28 PM   #21
Rinspeed

Quote:
Both are good guns, but the P239 is by far my least favorite Sig. Capacity vs size/weight is just silly.

Same thing a lot of fools say about the 1911, and the 239 is much easier, for me at least, to conceal in the warmer months than a 1911.
Old September 3, 2013, 06:38 PM   #22
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Same thing a lot of fools say about the 1911, and the 239 is much easier, for me at least, to conceal in the warmer months than a 1911.
I've never said that about the 1911. when you go with a big bore like the 45, you realize that capacity will sacrifice a bit... but the p239 is almost as heavy as a 1911... I'd take a Champion operator in .45 over a 239 in 40 any day of the week.

I guess my point is, that the P239 was agood concealed option 30 years ago. Firearm technology has come a long way since then...
Old September 3, 2013, 06:45 PM   #23
Rinspeed

Quote:
I've never said that about the 1911.

I never said, or even thought, you did, my point is still the same.
Old September 4, 2013, 02:32 AM   #24
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by druryj
I have both; like both; shoot both well. They are "almost" the same size. The Glock holds more rounds. The Sig is prettier. The Glock is polymer; the Sig is an all-metal gun. They both carry well in similar IWB holsters; the SIG maybe just a tiny, tiny bit more comfortably. I seek guidance here first before further action...possibly professional help to solve my dilemna. Which one should be my EDC?
Making a decision by highlighting similarities is asking for a headache. You have to focus on the differences. When I look at the differences between your two options I see the following:

Weight- the Sig is 4 oz heavier (just under 20%)
Size- The Glock is .2 inches longer (insignificant)
Capacity- 15 rds in the Glock vs 8 rds in the Sig (47% difference)
Action- Striker fire vs DA/SA- depends on your preference.
Replacement value- $500 (Glock) vs $800 (Sig)
Width- I don't have those numbers handy, so you may have to go by feel.

With all this in mind, YOU have to make your decision. You have two high quality weapons, and really can't go wrong. YOU have to decide which benefits you like more, and which costs you feel are more negligible. YOU know where you will be going, what your environment is like. YOU know the crime rates in your area, and what your daily routine is. Asking us which is a better gun is a wash- they are both excellent pieces. We can't tell you which is going to meet your needs unless you give us loads of personal information- just pick the one that "fits" YOU!
Old September 4, 2013, 07:39 AM   #25
CWKahrFan

Everyone is NOT cut out for marriage!
Why force it?
"Confusion" is relative.
Who says you need to choose?
I say simply stay "confused" and enjoy variety in life in your own way.

I'd get so bored carrying the same gun everyday for years or decades...

It wouldn't make me happy.

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Closed Thread