The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1
poline

NRA up?

Has NRA membership increased since the President tryed to force the NRA leadership in submission......does anyone know?
Old January 12, 2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Alabama Shooter

The NRA has released multiple media reports saying that membership has increased over 100K since December.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Additionally, various other pro gun groups are reporting an increase in their memberships as well.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:15 PM   #4
poline

Thanks, I appreciate your replys.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:02 PM   #5
breakingcontact

Someone else in my family joined and I joined the Texas State Rifle Association.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Grizz12

out of curiosity, have the numbers changed in the anti gun groups? I'm willing to bet they have not changed at all as the NRA's gets stronger
Old January 13, 2013, 11:35 PM   #7
poline

Grizz12........Hope so!
Old January 14, 2013, 01:36 AM   #8
LRChops

I sent the NRA some duckets!!! They are all we have! The wealthier the NRA, the more they can lobby and cut deals with the devil!
Old January 14, 2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Skans

All I can say is that it prompted me to upgrade my membership to "Life Member" a week ago.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Skadoosh

Grizz12 wrote:
Quote:
out of curiosity, have the numbers changed in the anti gun groups? I'm willing to bet they have not changed at all as the NRA's gets stronger
I suspect its a safe bet that their numbers most definitely have increased.

Gifford's Anti-Gun Group Gets $1 Million Texas Donation, Donor Says Effort Will Rival NRA

Quote:
Steve and Amber Mostyn, wealthy Texas trial attorneys, said today that they are giving $1 million to help start the gun-control advocacy group formed by former Arizona Representative Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:55 PM   #11
southjk

Quote:
The NRA has released multiple media reports saying that membership has increased over 100K since December.
Yep, you can count me as one of those.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:25 PM   #12
noelf2

I joined again, first time in 12 years. I've also been a VCDL member for 8 or so years.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Silent Bob

Me too, and I just sent the NRA-ILA a donation, the first of what I hope to be many. Got to do my part to outdo Bloomberg and Gabby Gifford's new PAC.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:51 PM   #14
Wrothgar

Question: The media keep saying that the NRA represent gun manufacturers. This is a lie, I know, the firearms industry has its own, ACTUAL lobbying group. Anyone know what its called? I forgot. I want to have the facts to refute claims that the NRA is the gun industry's lobby.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:55 PM   #15
zxcvbob

National Shooting Sports Foundation
Old January 14, 2013, 09:58 PM   #16
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
The media keep saying that the NRA represent gun manufacturers. This is a lie, I know

ETA:
I guess they don't represent them. They do represent their interests.

Let me clarify that. The NRA hires lobbyists to represent the NRA. The NRA represents lots of people and gun makers and other groups.

Gun makers hire lobbyists too on their own to represent the interests of the company more directly.

Last edited by Alabama Shooter; January 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:07 AM   #17
Skadoosh

Wrothgar wrote:
Quote:
Question: The media keep saying that the NRA represent gun manufacturers.
Really? I can not find a single instance where the media has actually said that. Could you please provide a link?
Old January 15, 2013, 09:37 AM   #18
EdInk

I have heard it on local news reports. They'll say things to the effect of 'The NRA, a lobby group for gun companies, etc....'
Old January 15, 2013, 07:51 PM   #19
Rembrandt

NRA membership has risen by 250,000 in the last month.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:34 PM   #20
SPEMack618

You can add another memeber to that as of today.

In addition to re-upping my memebership, instead my yearly $35 dollars to Duck's Unlimited I sent that money to the NRA-ILA.
Old January 16, 2013, 03:19 PM   #21
bikerbill

reuped my wife and I, sent the ILA a donation ... thought I heard that the jump in membership is over 200k since the babbling began over new gun laws ...
Old January 16, 2013, 10:30 PM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

Spoke with someone I know at NRA from the days when I was there.

Word is that the membership increase is a lot closer to 300,000, if not over 300K, at this point.

And, supposedly, rumors are circulating inside NRA that weekly donations are now pushing between 5 and 10 million.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:06 PM   #23
SPEMack618

Twitter is all abuzz with this #GunsOverPeople nonsense, and I find it heartening to note that a fair majority of tweets directed at it or also followed by the #NRA.

In other words, it appears, to me atleast, that the NRA is also winning the fight on what would normally be the battlefield of the younger, anti-gun crowd.

Good day.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:14 AM   #24
zxcvbob

^^^ What does that mean, for those of us who don't facebook or tweet?
Old January 17, 2013, 12:19 AM   #25
SPEMack618

Okay, Twitter is a social networking site in which you can use 140 characters of text to express an opinion on something. Or in the case of my Fraternity, which place has the best hot wings and hotest wait staff, but I digress.

As part of your 140 characters, you use a # to indicate what you are talking about. Example would be something like:

Good job Wayne #NRA.

That is something I "tweeted" after Wayne LaPiere did his interview/response thing a few days back.

Today, after the President's press conference, the # of GunsOverPeople began to garner a lot of "tweets" as people heeded the President's call for people to voice thier opinions on gun control. Shortly after this became a popular twitter posting, pro-gun people began to post with the #GunsOverPeople as well, but with a pro gun bent.

It was good to see that on social media, especially twitter, which is something conservatives, the GOP, and the NRA sometimes lack when attempting to spread the message.