The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 03:13 PM   #1
azmark

Trading my 9mm for a .22 dumb idea?

I bought a 9mm P250 subcompact as a gun to carry on hikes. Ammo prices have me thinking of trading it for a Single Six or a .22 semiauto that I could make an even trade for. I'm also thinking that it would be easier to be accurate with a single action gun than the double action Sig.

Any opinions welcome.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
smee78

I think I would rather save up and get another gun VS getting rid of the Sig. 9mm is about as cheap as it comes in center fire guns but the 22 would allow more shooting, If you found a nice 22 revolver that is double action then you could practice shooting it and it would help your double shooting on the Sig. Also alot this involves what other guns you have and if you CC, a 22 would be a poor choice as defence VS a 9mm.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:31 PM   #3
TripIII

Not necessarily dumb... I love the 22. And if I could only have one gun...a 22 with a trunk full of ammo may beat out a 9mm and a few hundred rounds. So here is what I think:

45 ACP - self defense. To heavy to carry a bunch.

9mm - tactical. When you need to move and possibly lay down your own cover fire...sure.

22lr - survival. (I prefer the Ruger MK series)

Magnum rounds for stopping vehicles and hunting large animals.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Robk

It all would depend on the terrain you hike though and what kinds of wildlife you would expect to encounter. Noticed you are in Arizona, so must likely desert type terrain. Snakes and small creatures the norm, than a .22lr would be fine with shot shells. But if you think you may encounter something big, 4 legged or 2, than the 9mm would make much better sense to keep. Thing about what your handgun needs to do for you, than make the decision.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:55 AM   #5
CurlyQ.Howard

I can't find .22 ammo anywhere these days (something that I had once though possible). That alone would make me reconsider trading the 9mm.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Baba Louie

Not know exactly Where you hike, I'll ask you this.

Any chance of running into a pack o peccarys?

If that might be the case, would you feel good with a .22 as your only firestick at hand?

If yes and yes, proceed.

If yes and no, well...

If no and N/A, then go for it.

More than likely they'll run from you, but if you ever get between a momma and her younguns, climb something handy that doesn't try to poke you too hard or too much and do let us know.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 22, 2013, 02:23 PM   #7
+1k ammo

Unless I was going to run into a bear, I think .22 would be fine.

My sr22 Ruger would be a wonderful little carry gun on the trail. Small, light, accurate. And you can bring a LOT OF .22 AMMO even vs. 9mm.

I think would be better for snakes and such, although with that, those newer buckshot rounds (i have some in .380) would be better for snakes I think.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:07 PM   #8
haliwa04

I would keep the sig 9mm. Versatile round, hi cap capabilities, pretty easily found ammo, reliable, enough stopping power for most predators as well as prey for eating. If it were my only gun, i'd keep the 9mm. Concealable, for sure, and its a sig, that screams quality right there in itself. If you dont want it, though, i'll give you my 10/22, a red dot, and plenty of .22lr for it. ;-)
Old January 22, 2013, 11:46 PM   #9
azmark

There are mountain lions, rattlesnakes, javelina and bears but the only wildlife I've ever seen are does. There's always the possibility of running across smugglers, in which case a magazine of 9mm won't hold up against their AKs.

9mm ammo is really hard to find, too. Can't even find it on the shelf at Wally World. The price has gone up as well.

I'm going to work on shooting the Sig to see how much I can improve. I think I can make a pretty good trade with the Sig. 12 rd mag is standard and that counts as high-cap to the gun haters ;-). Guys I know have 1000s of rds of 22 and I might be able to work trades to build up a small stock. I'm still going to handle different 22s to get a head start. That is if anybody has any. I hope there's a gun show soon in Tucson or closer soon.