The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1
jd70

Any one else buying inexpensive 9mm guns?

After all the bs of the last 2 months I find myself looking and buying more p95s and sigmas. Simply because I'm not sure if I will find any more decent guns at a price I can afford. I plan on putting them back for my daughters when they get old enough to legally own. Anyone else buying for their kids future?
Old January 17, 2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Fishbed77

I fully understand the desire to preserve a little bit of freedom for your daughters in the future. So maybe one for each kid.

Right now, though, I'd be more concerned about the availability of ammo or magazines in the future. Hoarding 9mm guns doesn't make a whole lot of sense when there is no 9mm ammo on the shelves to hoarde along with them.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:07 AM   #3
jd70

I already reload 9 mm. Have for 15 years and have ammo and components set back. One of the reasons I'm getting p95s are I have 5 mags for them ready to go as well. Decent guns very reliable in my experience. I have 4 daughters one 9 and three 2. Its getting expensive!

Last edited by jd70; January 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
theGuardian

Older daughter

My daughter is 39+ and currently has a hand cannon she can't even use. It's a .44 magnum and she's looking to sell it and get a 9mm. Looking at the sr9c. What would a reloading setup run me. I currently have nothing and no experience. Am I looking at a couple hundred, a couple grand? Thanks.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:11 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
What would a reloading setup run me.
Excluding powder components, the absolute bare minimum is about $30 for a Lee Loader, if you measure the powder with the included plastic scoop. However, the Lee Loader tool- while simple, straightforward, functional, and rock-solid reliable- is very slow in comparison to most setups that utilize a lever-actuated press.

For a bare minimum setup that uses a lever-actuated press, it can be done for ~$100, but most functional setups will be ~$200 once all the accessories and other doodads are factored in. Also, most of the savings you will realize when handloading comes from buying the components in bulk. IOW you won't generally be buying components for 50-100 rounds; you'll want to buy the components for lots of 1,000 or greater. Make sure you consider this when shopping.

Be aware that, in terms of short-term ammo availability, you may not be out of the woods if you gear up to reload. The run on ammo has been accompanied by a corresponding run on small pistol primers, which are the size you need for 9mm. OTOH .44 and .45 caliber cartridges use the large size, which seems to have remained more readily available, but the supply of these may start running out as well. (If you check availability, be aware that it is generally inadvisable to substitute the less popular and therefore less shortage-prone Magnum primers for the standard variety; so-called "Match" primers may be substituted with no ill effects, but they're pricier.)

Last edited by carguychris; January 17, 2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: info added...
Old January 17, 2013, 01:23 PM   #6
jd70

I use a lee hand press. Slow but uses standard dies. I keep promising myself better press but something always comes up. Have you tried 44 special? I load 44 mag and special, and shoot more specials! All day long shooting pleasure! Try a search in the reloading forum, I dont think its possible to better the info you will find there!

Last edited by jd70; January 17, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old January 17, 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
I have 4 daughters one 9 and three 2.
Holy cow! Three 2-year olds? Man, guns are the least of your problems!
Old January 17, 2013, 02:51 PM   #8
jd70

Yeah my range time has been severely curtailed the past few years!
Old January 17, 2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Xfire68

theGuardian, my girlfriend has the SR9c and it's a good gun but, she has issues racking the slide as the recoil spring is real stiff.

The gun is no longer new and had about 600 rounds through it. I can rack the slide but, I will say it is much much harder to manipulate then my new Glock 20 with a aftermarket 20lb spring as well as my CZ 75B.

There are aftermarket recoil springs for the SR9 but I have not tried them yet and they only offer them as low as 14lbs and stock is "16lbs".

She also has a problem shooting it accurately although I think it's more the shooter then the gun. She can normally shoot my Glock and CZ fine.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Seven High

xfire68: Take that sr9c and lock the slide back. Leave it that way for about one month. The recoil spring will "weaken" somewhat making the slide easier to rack. If one month doesn't do it, try another month. It does work.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:07 PM   #11
tacticalmedic

The past month I have bought a Smith & Wesson SD9, and a Sigma 9 mm. I have 5, 16 round magazines for each gun. I paid less than $500 total. I also found 1000 rounds of 9 mm at Walmart for $261.83. I've been very lucky so far this month.