The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 14, 2013, 11:32 PM   #1
jaytothekizzay

wanna shoot

I bought a new rifle about 3 weeks ago... I bought it a day or two after the intense panic started. I have been looking everwhere for ammo. Cant find it locally anywhere... Im so sick of this BS. I cant wait till this latest panic goes away so I can shoot my new rifle. I cant even get range time without an hour wait...How long can this last
Old January 14, 2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Buford_Tannen

I snuck in under the wire. 3rd week in October I bought my x-mas presents. A Henry Big Boy in 45LC and a S&W 686 in 357. I also reloaded the ammo cabinet.

Since then
1) Hurricane Sandy knocks out Henry mfg.
2) Election
3) Newton

Now
1) Almost impossible to find my rifle. (Which I really like)
2) No ammo anywhere (Can't even find 22LR for plinking with the boys) They had 5K count boxes of 22LR all over 2 months ago.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:37 AM   #3
Metal god

Going shooting tomorrow Taking 2 ARs a 308 and 2-22s . Good times I bet Im the only one out there with ARs . I am running low on my ammo I have to shoot but I have a small stash not to be used untill .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 16, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4
kraigwy

I got caught in the last "Primer Drought" and said never again.

Soon as this current drought rared its head, I took an inventory to get a jump on things.

My inventory told me I can ride it out no problem. I did have difficulty finding some 458 Win Mag brass, but three days on the Internet found some.

My latest fad that I found during this drought was muzzle loading and so far I don't see a problem with these rifles.

As to where to shoot, I live in Wyoming, I have my own private range to 400 yards, I'm less then 2 miles from an abandoned gravel pit on BLM land where I can get to 2000 yards or better.

Plus in town (if I choose to drove 10 miles) we have our club range, 300 yards outdoors and an indoor range, neither get used to their capacity.

This present drought wont last forever, but remember this, there will be more droughts, its up to us to be prepared.

Actually in a way, I'm glad its opened eyes. During the last two months Americans have bought enough guns to supply the whole Chinese and Indian Army's.

What that means is more gun owners, more people will get involved in our shooting sports.

More shooters will take up competition shooting, not all by a long shot, but many will. More interest means more ranges, more matches and more advertising that guns are not just about SD or hunting, but shooting sports in general. That can't do anything but help shooting sports in general.

Just last Monday night, I was given a budget of $3000 to purchase steel targets so our club can conduct more pistol matches.

Hang in there folks, I see things getting better after we ride out this current storm, Kind of like its darkest before Dawn.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 16, 2013, 10:39 PM   #5
ThomasT

Quote:
This present drought wont last forever, but remember this, there will be more droughts, its up to us to be prepared.
Thats one of the best statements I have read here in a long time.

I learned my lesson in 1994 when the rumor was that primers only had a 6 month shelf life. The gun/ammo shortage didn't affect me in 2008 and its not affecting me now.

When you can get ammo, guns and reloading supplies again then think like a Boy Scout. Always Be Prepaired.