The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
tdgator

Thinking about a change

All these beautiful 1911 pics have had me salivating for a long time now. I have recently been thinking of selling my HK USP compact .40 and trading it out for a new 1911. My HK has been flawless and a great shooter but there always seems like something better out there. I know this is a tough question, but can I expect the same fantastic reliability with an entry level Colt, Springfield, or Ruger 1911 that I have gotten with my HK? If not, I don't know if I can make the change as it is my main home defense firearm. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:26 PM   #2
BarryLee

Man, it pains me to say it, but I think you are more likely to have an issue with an entry level 1911 than with the USP. I own a USP40 and the thing is built like a tank and has been flawless. I also current own or have owned Colt and Springfield 1911s and they have been very good handguns. However, they all were a little finicky about ammo and I ended up buying Chip McCormick magazines for the SA to ever really feel comfortable with it.

Now, don’t get me wrong they can be and currently are very reliable, but I guess my point is it might take a little tweaking to get there. My advice would be to save up and buy one of the more moderate to higher end offerings like the Colt XSE or SA Loaded models.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 16, 2013, 07:34 PM   #3
JWT

I've had flawless service from my Ruger SR1911. Was talking yesterday to another long time owner of 1911s and he was remarking how reliable his Ruger has been and how much he likes it compared to his other 1911s.

Mine has not had one malfunction with any ammo I've used with it.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
flotter390

I agree with Barrylee, keep the HK usp -

I also like the new S&W series E, they have done a good jod on that gun.

Fred
Old January 17, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5
tdgator

Well that sucks. I was sort of expecting that response. I guess I'll be keeping my boring, reliable HK instead of getting a sexy, not so reliable 1911.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:02 PM   #6
AdrianVall

I don't know man.. I think if you were to get a good, well known 1911 from a big named manufacturer, you would have a perfectly fine and reliable home defense/range gun. That's just my opinion. If it were me, I'd sell the HK and get a 1911. I'm at the point right now where I have no 1911 in my collection, and it is hurting me big time! lol
Old January 18, 2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Dashunde

It depends on what 1911 I guess... I'd go in for a Dan Wesson, anything less and I'd keep that 100% USP and stock up on magazines for it.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:41 AM   #8
warningshot

Quote:
but can I expect the same fantastic reliability with an entry level Colt, Springfield, or Ruger 1911 that I have gotten with my HK?
ANSWER: No.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:02 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

depends on what you are using it for. if it's for sd or hd, keep the hk. if it's for range or hobby use, the 1911 is great. i have a few. the only ones that ever gave me trouble were the kimbers.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 28, 2013, 08:17 PM   #10
tdgator

If I can't go with a nice stainless 1911 I thought I would revive this thread a little to ask if anyone knows any all stainless semi-auto that would be as reliable as my HK. I have looked a little at the Sig P220 Elite Stainless. I don't know much about CZs but I have seen a few of those that are nice looking stainless pistols as well. Any thoughts?
Old January 28, 2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Jay24bal

92?

Not that they are easy to find right now, but maybe a Beretta 92 Inox (or a Taurus PT92 SS)?

The 92 is one of the most tried and true handguns out there. I own a Beretta 92fs as well as a Taurus PT92 AFS and neither have had a single problem with over 2,000 rounds through both of them.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 28, 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
Koda94

Quote:
I know this is a tough question, but can I expect the same fantastic reliability with an entry level Colt, Springfield, or Ruger 1911 that I have gotten with my HK? If not, I don't know if I can make the change as it is my main home defense firearm.
my advice is I would never trade in a proven reliable HD gun for a new unproven gun.

I would keep the excellent HK AND buy the sexy 1911. Only until I validate the new gun would I consider selling off an older one.

As far as your question of reliability, I have a 'entry' Colt commander 1911 and its been reliable out of the box for many years of use. I recall only 1 jam when I first purchased it that never repeated since.

FWIW: I would not sell an HK.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:33 AM   #13
loose_holster_dan

i don't remember why you discounted 1911's. was it because of the reliability?

both the sig and cz are amazing weapons. both have a history of reliability. you're going to spend less on the cz.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 29, 2013, 08:40 AM   #14
wyobohunter

The only time my SA Mil-Spec. has had a malfunction of any kind is when shooting my 1st USPSA competition. I wasn't bothering to wipe the magazines off between stages and had one or two hang ups. I was puzzled at 1st because I had fired several hundred rounds without issue. Once I narrowed it down to the one variable I'd changed and started cleaning magazine every now and the it has remained 100%
I'd look at the Mil-Spec. but if it were me I'd keep the USP and save up. One thing you'd likely miss is the DA/SA with de-cocker. Those are great features in a carry pistol IMO (if you carry).

I'm like you only from the other end... Have a great 1911 now I'm looking at the USP (or something DA/SA). On occasion I open carry, it has only happened once but I guy "helped me out" by informing me my 1911 was cocked. He had a hard time accepting that is was designed to be carried that way (unlike a revolver). Something DA/SA would allow carrying one in the chamber, ready to go without alarming folks on the occasion I OC.

Last edited by wyobohunter; January 29, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:44 AM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Man, it pains me to say it, but I think you are more likely to have an issue with an entry level 1911 than with the USP.
I agree with Barry.

Keywords being: entry level.

The self defense in you should stick to the USP.

The enthusiast in you should get the 1911 when your wallet permits.

Either buy an entry level to play with at the range along with the Hk.

Or if you want to fuse your self defense and enthusiast blood, sell the USP and buy a high end 1911.

Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Dan Wesson...

Damn..I drooled...
Old January 29, 2013, 10:01 AM   #16
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
All these beautiful 1911 pics have had me salivating for a long time now. I have recently been thinking of selling my HK USP compact .40 and trading it out for a new 1911. My HK has been flawless and a great shooter but there always seems like something better out there. I know this is a tough question, but can I expect the same fantastic reliability with an entry level Colt, Springfield, or Ruger 1911 that I have gotten with my HK? If not, I don't know if I can make the change as it is my main home defense firearm. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Sorry but my experience says no. I have a bunch of 1911s and the production guns just seem to be a little picky. They seem to prefer x brand mags, x brand ammo, need an extractor adjustment here and there, ect...

On the higher end guns this hasn't been the case but that's just one man's experience.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:11 AM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Sorry but my experience says no. I have a bunch of 1911s and the production guns just seem to be a little picky. They seem to prefer x brand mags, x brand ammo, need an extractor adjustment here and there, ect...

On the higher end guns this hasn't been the case but that's just one man's experience.
^ I like this guy. Read that a few times.

For me..A 1911 is an offensive sidearm. Not a defensive gun. And even then, again for me. They're also range guns. This is just my training with no external safety. Nothing against them. I've had 5 at one point. I now only have 3.

A Gold Cup
SIG xo
Colt 70 Series

they're classy women that need attention and upkeep.

Now comes the vietnam debates, and people who carry them..etc etc.

Different time.

If I was in that time and I saw a 1911 and a Model 19 S&W I'd go with the 1911.

If they were given a modern pistol from today that has stood the test of time already, they might have used it then also.

Alright...flame on guys.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:29 PM   #18
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
can I expect the same fantastic reliability with an entry level Colt, Springfield, or Ruger 1911 that I have gotten with my HK?
As someone who has Government, Commander, Officer's models from Colt and Wilson Combat chambered in .45 auto and 10mm auto (Colt Delta Elite) and uses 1911s as my EDC, yes they can be very reliable.

It may, stress may, involve a process; it may run 100% straight out of the box.

Being that the original design was a 5" barrel chambered for ball .45 ammo and now gazillion folks make 1911s and magazines and springs in many different chamberings and barrel lengths and frame sizes with different bushings/bushingless bull barrels with different throats, magazine feel lips, and a variety of approaches to recoil springs and guide rods... one can see that the possibility of "tolerance stacking", pushing design and material limits, non-uniformity of approaches can lead to some not working as well as others.

The good news is that there are some that run well, very well, well enough to "bet your life on". And if there is a problem, there is always the manufacturer, and a number of quality smiths out there.

As with any gun considered as a defensive weapon, run it, tune it if necessary, prove that it does what you want it to do before relying on it.

It is hard to beat the trigger on a good 1911. Makes me grin.

They work for me.

Now, go figure...
Old January 30, 2013, 08:39 AM   #19
+1k ammo

I would agree that the modern weapons are well modern and more reliable in general than the 1911 platform.

I have both, so would suggest to save up or even put one on layaway if you don't have all the funds.

I have two 1911's and they work perfectly, but are in my mind more range or sport guns. But even saying that, I would like one more.

S&W - i just read a review and it looked very very nice and had (eek) an external extractor and some other things, so is more of an evolved 1911 rather than strictly old school.

Nighthawk - A bit on the pricey side, but they just look so high quality

Doublestar - smaller firm, but they look pretty good also.

There are plenty of makes of 1911's, picking one is fun, but I will stick with my Beretta, Glock, etc. for no question reliable pick up and shoot gun.