The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2013, 04:24 AM   #1
Ignition Override

Russian versus Bulg. Mak. prices.

Are Russians priced higher than both Bulgarians and Polish P-64s simply due to the numbers imported?
I'm considering buying my first handgun, and have spent over twenty five hours at home/hotels reading about Maks, P-64s, FEGs, Bersas and PPKs.

Is the classic Russian Mak. (9x18- Not .380) with just a single magazine worth about $300 if in really good condition?
I don't see how the Russian -seen from a strictly practical perspective- can be worth more than the common Bulgarian when both are known to be very reliable.

Maybe it's partly due to the 'country of origin' appeal, as with a Russian AK, SKS, Tokarev, ZSU-23 'Shilka' etc?

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 15, 2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:50 AM   #2
qwiksdraw

A Russian Mak in 9X18 priced at $300 is about right if it is in good condition, however you can sometimes find them in the $250-$275 range. At this price range it is a single stack. The Makarov is a very accurate gun

http://grabagun.com/century-internat...ed-2-mags.html

I'm not sure there is all that much difference when talking Russian, E. German or Bulgarian Maks. You can certainly get more advice from lots of knowledgeable Mak owners here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...-Makarov-Forum

The Bersa would be a good option, too. I own both a Russian Makarov 9X18 and Bersa Thunder 380. These guns are about the same size and fit into the same holsters.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:12 AM   #3
North Bender

$300 for a Russian military Mak would be at least $100 - $150 below what they commonly go for. That's because the fewer numbers of these imported make them collectable. They are not better quality than a Bulgarian.

Both the Russian and Bulgarian Makarov sell for more than a P-64 for a host of reasons.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4
carguychris

I think we need to clarify which Russian Mak we're talking about. I'm not sure what the OP means by "classic".

The two basic classes are military and commercial.

The military pistols had a fixed rear sight, red Bakelite grips with stars on both sides and a lanyard loop on the LH side, and no English-language (or Roman alphabet!) markings other than import marks if present. All are single-stack.
Quote:
$300 for a Russian military Mak would be at least $100 - $150 below what they commonly go for.
For your average import-marked specimen- yes. If there are no import marks, I've seen these go for $800+, but unmarked pistols are quite rare.

The second class are commercially imported Maks. Most of these had screw-adjustable rear sights, black rubber grips, and extensive English-language markings. The grips can be changed, and a few had fixed rear sights, but the markings are a dead giveaway. Some are chambered in .380ACP, some are double-stack.

Typical values for a commercial Mak are $200-$250 single-stack and $25-$50 more for double-stack, although the recent buying frenzy may have driven up the price of double-stack pistols with the desirable 12rd mags. (Quite a few of the double-stack pistols were sold with 10-rounders from the original AWB.)

Last edited by carguychris; January 14, 2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old January 15, 2013, 02:31 AM   #5
Ignition Override

Thanks for the nice descriptions and comparisons.
Maybe my use of the phrase 'classic' for the more common Russian 9x18 is too vague.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Pilot

See my response on THR.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:42 PM   #7
COLTSFORME

Get a look at the East German Mak if you want to see a nice gun.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Doyle

Also, the P-64 is NOT a Makarov anymore than a 9mm Glock is a Luger.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Ignition Override

Quite true Doyle. Three friends carry the P-64.