The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 31, 2014, 06:42 PM   #1
great scot

Just picked up a 2nd generation LCP

What a difference a generation makes! I had a first generation for a while and while it was the perfect size and weight for a ccw, I didn't care for the trigger and it's non-existent sights. I traded it to a friend of mine and he is very happy with it. Time passed and I heard reports about the next generation LCP and I decided it was time to give the design another chance. I'm glad I did!

The trigger is much lighter and smoother, and I think it breaks more cleanly than previous models. You can now actually see the sights under most light conditions as well. Hopefully it will prove as reliable as my first LCP. If so, I've found a perfect summer time CCW.

Before I get torched by the over .40 crowd, I usually carry a .40 Smith Shield. It is a fantastic 3 season gun. However, when it's time to don shorts and a t-shirt, a pocket .380 is a nice alternative!
Old March 31, 2014, 09:33 PM   #2
SIMP

I love my Elsie Pea too. Great little pocket gun. I've had both models as well and I really enjoy the newer one more. Safe shooting!
Old April 1, 2014, 09:04 PM   #3
PointOneSeven

Gratz on the purchase. Sweet little gun, hope it works out for you this summer .
Old April 1, 2014, 09:36 PM   #4
imabmwnut

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. It's my carry pistol. It was made in Feb on this year.
Old April 5, 2014, 09:45 PM   #5
ryanryan03

When ordering online...how do you know it's a gen 2 assuming the photo doesn't shoe the actual gun.

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing." - Abraham Lincoln
Old April 6, 2014, 06:42 PM   #6
great scot

Two ways to tell its a second generation.

First, the sights are taller and easier to see. Second, the serial number does NOT have a dash on second generation models. Hope this helps.
Old April 6, 2014, 09:38 PM   #7
ryanryan03

Thx.

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing." - Abraham Lincoln
Old April 6, 2014, 09:45 PM   #8
Model12Win

Wow!

Those are the two things that have kept me from getting an LCP. I've handled and shot my Father's LCP and the sights were awful and the DAO trigger was far worse than my S&W 642 J-frame, but I liked the gun for it's tiny size/light weight and it was reliable with the limited shooting I did with it.

Would love to see some pics of your new Elsie!
Old April 7, 2014, 07:20 AM   #9
Rodger_p

O.K.
I didn't even know about the 2nd generation thing. I owned a 1st generation about 6 years ago. But, Because of the better trigger, I bought a TCP and sold the Ruger... (another story for another day)
Fast forward to a few weeks ago: I am in the market for an LCP and find one at a local shop for a good price. I get it to the range and think, "wow! this trigger is much nicer than I remember" And, "wow! I don't remember the sights being so easy to aquire!"
Then and only then do I start finding info on the upgrades that Ruger made.

Old April 8, 2014, 02:22 PM   #10
Jayhawkhuntclub

I've felt the triggers on a couple of late model LCPs and they were excellent. I also played with the Sig 290RS (9mm) and new M&P 380. I eliminated both from consideration due to their triggers. Both were super long, heavy and gritty. I really wanted to like the M&P. That was not possible. The LCP was reasonably light and crisp.