The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 7, 2014, 01:07 PM   #1
bspillman

Bersa thunder integral locking system

Hey folks I have a chance to pick up a duo tone thunder 380 at a good price. The one I'm looking at doesn't have the built in locking system. Can anyone tell me how old this gun may be? Are these as good and reliable as the ones with the lock on them? I have done a search via google and the bersa forum with no results, so I figured I would ask TFL. Thanks!
Old April 7, 2014, 07:13 PM   #2
qwiksdraw

Well, I thought I knew a lot about Bersas!

I bet someone here could answer your question. A picture would help.

http://www.bersachat.com
Old April 7, 2014, 07:31 PM   #3
bspillman

I have tried there already thanks though
Old April 7, 2014, 07:39 PM   #4
JERRYS.

Bersa has been making top reliable .380s for decades. the incorporation of the lock did not enhance the gun's ability to shoot. the absence of the lock will not take away from the gun's ability to shoot.

I would have no qualms carrying a non-locked Bersa .380 if that's what floated my boat.

edited: I would not carry one that had a built in lock, but one without it would get the nod.

Last edited by JERRYS.; April 7, 2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old April 7, 2014, 07:53 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

If it looks good, functions O.K. and is a good price - buy it and enjoy it.

JERRYS reply was right on target.

A lot of folks have a problem with a IL - I don't - I ignore it completely. The only "gun lock" I have really ever looked forward to getting with a gun purchase were the "infamous Ruger bicycle lock" - I loved giving them away to folks who needed to lock up their bicycles to keep 'em from being ripped off!

I had a Thunder CC .380 at one point - ate anything I fed it but I traded it off. Now that i reload .380 - another one will join the "herd" sometime here in the near future. Enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 8, 2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Marty8613

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how old this gun may be?
The last reference I see out there to new one without a lock is 2004, the 1st I found with the lock was around 2001. Looks like at least 10 years old, but could be as far back as 1995 when they were introduced. Mine has the lock, which I haven't used yet.
Old April 8, 2014, 09:20 PM   #7
gyvel

While I don't have any Bersa .380s, I do have a couple of 23s in .22lr. Both of them have been 100% reliable and a lot of fun to shoot.