The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 16, 2013, 01:38 PM   #1
DTrain

AR-15 vs 9mm Carbine

So i have settled right now on only having these calibers/gauge; 22lr, 9mm, 12ga, and .270 Win (I know... BORING). Every firearm I own is one of those calibers well except my .50cal ML.

So I know I am late to the game, but trying to decide if I want to go with an AR-15 which would require me to try and find and stock pile a new caliber of .223/5.56 or try to find a 9mm carbine which would lend it self to my current ammo supplies.

What's the pros/cons of either choice? I know the .223/5.56 is more powerful/versatile, but kind of looking for something to put a red dot on for fast/fun target acquisition at reasonable ranges.

Please share your thoughts on the subject!
Old January 16, 2013, 02:24 PM   #2
tahunua001

I have the best of both worlds. I have an AR15 in 9mm, given the right magazines it hasn't flinched on me yet. great fun for plinking and varminting but not much else unless you have a good spot for deer that you can nice and close to. the 223 is a much more versatile round and I have an AR15 in that too, better suited to hunting deer and coyotes over range and just about everyone has parts for them only right now with obama announcing that he is going into Clinton ban 2.3.4.5.3.4.2 mode and banning AR15s and high cap magazines you are out of luck with most. the beretta CX4 storm is a good 9mm carbine that can be made ban compliant with nothing more than a 10 round magazine.

this is all circumstantial though, 9mm and 223 ammo is non existent right now and probably will be until the ban is either established or congress shoots it down. AR15s are selling for 3 times what they were 2 months ago. I would say wait, either way you will come out ahead.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:32 PM   #3
ratshooter

What Tahunau said. Since you have a 22 of some sort I think I would be trying to gather a suitable amount of ammo for that so you can at least do a little plinking to stay in practice.

Any new gun that is a semi-auto is just going to be too expensive to buy right now.

My buddy has a Marlin 336 in 35 remington I would like to buy but there is just no ammo for it to be found. Plus no brass or bullets. I reload for pretty much everything I shoot and not being able to buy the componants sort of kills the deal for me. And I bet he can't sell it for the same reason too.

A village in Kenya called. They want their idiot back.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Justice06RR

Both are going to be over-priced and very hard to find in stock anywhere. I think 9mm is still easier to find in stock vs 5.56/223, so if you find a 9mm Carbine, go with that.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:04 AM   #5
Xaak

Hey DTrain, I would think that both the 5.56 mm and 9 mm being NATO rounds, we would at some point see some availability of both. 9 mm is much more reasonable in my area, and even the Walmart's are in stock. The 5.56/223, okay at the gun shows, not so much at the retailers.

I was also surprised by the quantity of AR platform firearms at the gun show in Richmond, VA this past Saturday, so they are readily available. The shocker.. the price gouging is definitely there. Either way, on a semi-auto sporting rifle, the 5.56/.223 seems to have had more desire and appeal, and also seen the price influenced by availability and demand more. Many DPMS and Windham. Bushmaster was limited and Colt was extinct from the show. Just my observation.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:18 AM   #6
mrvco

I shoot with a fella who has a Colt 9mm and he says it requires more cleaning than his AR's and AK's. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but the 9mm is very docile compared to shooting an AR or AK.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Alabama Shooter

Docile and anemic. The 9mm is a fine handgun round but if you are going to a have a rifle get a rifle round. Finding one will be tough.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:16 AM   #8
tgreening

I have mixed feelings about the rifle round debate. I guess it all depends on what you want it to do. Personally I intend to have a 9mm AR. Ammo is cheap, and at least around here readily available, and I feel more than capable of getting the job done at ranges I would use it. If its use is as a PDW then 9mm would be fine (IMO). Ranges necessitating a 5.56/.223 could hardly be defended as "personal defense" under normal circumstances. Plus I would be able to get a whole bunch more range time with it as outdoor rifle ranges around here are slim and most indoor ranges do not allow rifle calibers bigger than .22.

Of course it's easier for me to say all this because I already have an AR in 5.56 flavor, though it was my 2nd choice at the time. I waited too long on the 9mm and they sold out (pre Madness).

The last one I saw sold at my LGS was sold post-Madness, and it went for just shy of $2,500, which was slightly more than double the one I missed out on, which was a Colt variety with the Magpul kit.

When crap settles down I'll probably just build it with what parts I have, plus an upper I've yet to source.
Old January 17, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Xaak

tgreening has a valuable point. Going into the gun control legislation debate, I realize that even staunch supporters are expecting a long road and potentially no outcome. This, of course, goes directly to the arms and availability of them.

There is another trend that is starting to be seen. These firearms and sporting rifles are becoming very available through private sales. Again, the price is very high there as well, and most are selling them as "new in the box" or "never fired". I'm sure some of this is people who bought madly in early December and are now seeking to gain a profit. But there are at least a few out there that some gun owners seem concerned about confiscation and have hedged their bet by pricing them so they break even or lose minimally on their initial investment.

A subject of such diverse opinion and strong differences, it is not surprising.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:09 PM   #10
DTrain

I do have a good stash of .22lr and 9mm ammo at the present time.

I would be very hesitant to fire off a .223/5.56 where I live due to the proximity of neighboring houses. It wouldn't take much for a round to go through my walls and into someones house. That doesn't sit will with me. So likely such a weapon wouldn't be used for HD unless the SHTF REALLY bad.

To that extent I guess I agree with tgreening a bit. If I had a .223/5.56 it would likely just make a few trips to the range for fun and maybe up north to my property to shoot milk jugs at extended ranges etc. It would be along the lines of having one "just because", but it would also be nice to have IF it really ever goes south, like way, way south assuming a decent supply of ammo was at hand.

Either way, yes I'll be waiting till the current storm dies down a bit and see where things shake out. I am not about to pay $2K or more for a gun.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Xaak

5.56 mm / .223 is more situated for the carbine or rifle, but ballistics also show that it is a controlled cartridge. Opposed to what some of the misinformed think, the 5.56 was actually a more civil round, designed and meant to injure, as opposed to the 7.62, which obviously takes a bigger bite out of the target.

9mm is a excellent home defense cartridge, and now that ballistics and bullet technology has been improved greatly over the past 10 years, it has been proven to expand and be a very useful personal defense cartridge. It expands well, retains it's weight through target and scores well in ballistic test material studies.

And I agree, I think that we need to remain calm, ensure we stay informed and involved in the legislation around us, and I also think prices will drain back down to where they were prior to all of this craziness. At least I hope they do.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Mobuck

My reason for having a 9mm carbine is linked to ammo and mag compatability between it and my prefered pistol. Adding a similar but noncompatable mag to my stockpile would result in a mismatch sooner or later.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:20 AM   #13
DTrain

Mobuck... curious as to what your pistol carbine pair is? That makes me wonder if there is a carbine that uses M&P9 or S&W 59 Series mags?

I think the Beretta Cx4 Storm can use the 92FS mags if I remember right...

Last edited by DTrain; January 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:45 AM   #14
NJgunowner

I'd like to have barretta cx4, neat little rifles.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:55 PM   #15
surveyor

Quote:
That makes me wonder if there is a carbine that uses M&P9 or S&W 59 Series mags?
the marlin camp 9 uses S&W 59 series mags
the just right carbine uses glock mags