The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 13, 2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Wannabegunsmith

Kroil for guns

I've heard of people using straight up kroil for guns. We own a farm and we buy Sili-Kroil by the case. Sili-Kroil is only different due to the fact that it has Silicon in it. Would that affect a gun?
Old March 13, 2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Gary L. Griffiths

I only use Kroil to unstick rusted-in screws, etc. It would serve as a good lube, but it "creeps" too much. I'd be afraid it would "creep" into cartridges and make them unreliable.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old March 13, 2014, 05:25 PM   #3
P5 Guy

I have been using Kano's Kroil for cleaning my guns for years. A brief soak makes lead removal a breeze, and powder fouling is gone after a brush stroke or two, but as a lubricant NO.
Kroil is amazing stuff.
Old March 13, 2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Argyle

I have read about guys who plug their bores and fill their rifles with KROIL and then let them soak in order to clean them after a good soak. Has anyone done this?
Old March 13, 2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Pahoo

Good practice

Quote:
Has anyone done this?
Yes, but not with KROIL; instead, other solvents. I see no reason why it would not be effective. There are many advantages to soaking the bores ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 13, 2014, 09:18 PM   #6
STEINER

I retired from the aerospace industry. Rocket propulsion. Solid and liquid. Use Kano's Aerokroil to (quote) loosen nuts, bolts, studs, screws, pullys, shafts, bearings, GUNS, pipe threads, valve guides and any corroded metal parts.
Removes rust, gummed oil and grease.
It can penetrate into the smallest places. I have freed up many completely
frozen nuts and bolts by using this stuff.
It's the "Oil that Creeps."
You can get it in small aerosol cans.
Order direct: 615 833 4101
www.kanolabs.com
Old March 14, 2014, 04:26 AM   #7
10-96

I'm with the crowd that thinks Kroil is the greatest stuff since peanut butter. I haven't used the Silikroil- but the only stuff I use anymore is regular non-aerosol kroil and Ballestol.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old March 14, 2014, 07:23 AM   #8
OuTcAsT

For firearms, It's great as a "cleaning solvent" just make sure you clean it all off and lube after. I use it every day at work, it is great stuff.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old March 14, 2014, 11:00 AM   #9
natman

Kroil is an amazing penetrating oil. It's also good for removing surface rust with some 0000 steel wool, although there are cheaper alternatives.

It's awfully thin for general lubrication and it's designed to move so I wouldn't use it in place of gun oil. I don't imagine it would be especially good at rust prevention either.
Old March 15, 2014, 06:49 AM   #10
10-96

Rust prevention- naw. 8-10yrs ago some fella up near the SeaTac area ran a pretty good little homemade test with different oils and such on sheet metal. Kroil came in pretty close to last place.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old March 15, 2014, 11:33 AM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

As STEINER was, I'm currently in the aerospace industry. I can also attest to the quality of Kroil in regards to it's penetrating quality and ability to loosen up gunk. I mix Kroil with my bore solvent to clean the bores of my guns. Like others have stated, I don't care to use it on cleaning/lubricating other parts of my firearms. Main reason is I already have my preferences for that.

I can't, however, attest to Sili-Kroil. I've never used it. Only concern I would have is what kind of film it leaves, if any, of silicone. If it has a propensity of leaving a measurable amount, I would take caution on what part(s) of the firearm you use it. Being that it is silicone and several companies use it, I don't see the harm with experimenting. Just keep a close eye on your gun and use some common sense. That way you can report back to us on your own results.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 20, 2014, 09:44 PM   #12
Wannabegunsmith

Well I have yet to test it but i wanna test and see if it can "creep" into a round.. I got a Marlin Model 60 and I might put a couple rounds in it and let it sit for a month or so and see if it does make it non-fireable.
Old March 20, 2014, 11:32 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

I have tried Kroil as a bore solvent, both with a patch and brush and also as a soaking solution to loosen fouling. In my testing, it was acceptable, but was noticeably less effective than a conventional run-of-the-mill nitro-solvent.

I have not tried it for lead removal--in all my tests the bores had been only used with jacketed ammunition.

I've got some on hand and the next time I take my .22 SP101 to the range I'll try soaking the cylinder in Kroil to see if it makes removing the lead buildup easier than normal.
Old March 24, 2014, 11:39 PM   #14
Boz Mon

So everyone here who likes the stuff does NOT use it as a lube. Correct? You would clean the firearm with kroil, then remove it all, then lube with something else? Just trying to clarify this.
Old March 25, 2014, 02:43 AM   #15
10-96

I wouldn't say I remove ALL of it- but I do give it a quick wipe over with a patch, rag, or q-tip before I add oil.

Old March 25, 2014, 03:45 PM   #16
P5 Guy

Quote:
So everyone here who likes the stuff does NOT use it as a lube. Correct? You would clean the firearm with kroil, then remove it all, then lube with something else? Just trying to clarify this.
Yes sir, I use Kroil as a cleaner dry as best as I can and lube with Mobil1 or EP2 grease as needed.
Old March 25, 2014, 03:57 PM   #17
Boz Mon

Ok. Apparently I was doing it wrong. I picked up some hoppe's lube today so I can use that after a good kroil bath