The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 28, 2015, 06:44 AM   #1
johnelmore

Why are there so many shootings at the Waffle House?

I have always loved the Waffle House. Its a family place and Ive always loved a good waffle. However, I am completely baffled why its been a location of many violent confrontations in recent years. Am I missing something about this family place? What makes a seemingly innocent family restaurant a place for violent troublemakers? IMHO this is a good example as to why concealed carry is a good thing. You might be in a family oriented restaurant enjoying your waffle when all of a sudden a violent troublemaker wonders through the door.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-pat...-not-to-smoke/
Old November 28, 2015, 07:09 AM   #2
WV_gunner

I didn't read the article but when I lived in Tennesse the Waffle Houses weren't in the best parts of town. That's probably the reason.
Old November 28, 2015, 07:35 AM   #3
godale

the one we have up by the local truckstops often has problems with late night people who have consumed too much alcohol
Old November 28, 2015, 09:02 AM   #4
BarryLee

While I occasionally stop in for a late night meal I’ve never seen WH as a “family place”. They seem to attract lots of drunks, druggies and otherwise sketch people. A few weeks ago I went with some friends and two women were fighting right in front of the door. Apparently one had “disrespected” the other lady’s adult daughter.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 28, 2015, 09:18 AM   #5
Nathan

Possibly related to the anti-CCW signs they threw up and then took down?

Oh yea and 90% are on a main highway. With so many passers by there is not much community to them.
Old November 28, 2015, 09:56 AM   #6
g.willikers

More than likely due to all that sugar in their food.
Old November 28, 2015, 09:58 AM   #7
SaxonPig

Latest shooting occurred at 1am. Maybe Waffle House seems to have so many shootings because they are open so late when the violent drunks are out and about. The "No Guns" signs don't help and don't seem to be working do they?
Old November 28, 2015, 11:52 AM   #8
KEYBEAR

I didn't read the article but when I lived in Tennesse the Waffle Houses weren't in the best parts of town. That's probably the reason.

I agree 100% Years ago we stopped at Waffle House a lot NO MORE .
Some if not most are run down and just a danger to be in .
It is not just late night anymore it is 24/7
Old November 28, 2015, 11:57 AM   #9
madmo44mag

A group of us stop at a local WH the last Sunday of every month headed to the range.
This WH is in a bad part of Ft. Worth, TX.
We are all wearing Texas Gun Owner shirts, hats and jackets.
They know we are packing guns and love us.
No one ever get out of line when we are there.
We also get great food and service.
I’m just sayin - LOL!!!
Old November 28, 2015, 12:46 PM   #10
olddav

SaxonPig has it right, I have seen the obnoxious drunks first hand. The shooting took place at 1:00 am.
Old November 28, 2015, 12:57 PM   #11
lamarw

Maybe it has to do with the scene in "Pulp Fiction" where the robber justifies to his girlfriend the lower risk of robbing a restaurant vs. a liquor store or convenience store. The bad guy(s) can hit the register and the customers.
Old November 28, 2015, 01:32 PM   #12
rickyrick

24hr restaurants get a certain crowd late at nite. I did it when I was young, thinking a hearty meal would absorb alcohol. Probably was obnoxious too.

Some Waffle House food is tasty.., not all of them
Old November 28, 2015, 11:33 PM   #13
tirod

When they built the Waffle Houses 15-20 years back those weren't bad neighborhoods.

What you are seeing is the natural creep of real estate value deflation because new construction attracts the better patrons who no longer frequent the older locations, and the property matures at a plateau'd level. As the cost of living escalates the economic level of the average patron drops. Then Building Code adds another slap as the buildings and neighborhood as a whole become uneconomically unrepairable, and the local governing body refuses to force property owners to update to current standards.

You can see this easily when you age date which neighborhoods are prone to fires. Old wiring and deteriorating structures create more risk.

Who makes this happen? We do. We are always looking for New! and walk away. We think we can build better elsewhere - check out the highly populated urban zones and you have a lot more demand on existing buildings which underwrites spending on improvements - but not where we allow Californication of our neighborhoods.

Having jusr seen a substantial portion of our local metro completely erased by an EF5 tornado, we get to sidestep the issues of forcing Code updates on building owners, They got a unilateral eviction notice with no warning.

New neighborhoods or revitalized, it's our city councils who bear the responsibility to keep Code reasonably current -which would keep crime down and "decent" people as customers. But, we don't want that, any more than the residents of Ferguson bothered to get their council to limit liquor stores and keep rates lower for grocery stores and "family friendly" shops.

It's pretty easy to figure this stuff out - it's usually NOT a gun solution. When we get to that point what we really have done is fail to do our job as citizens in directing our Public employees to act in a manner to protect our interests. It's usually about 20 years late - the date we let a whole neighborhood anchor their building integrity in the past instead of updating to stay current.

Don't like drunks in Waffle House after hours, limit where liquor can be sold and limit how late an establishment can stay open. A truck stop is one thing, next to an derelict Mall on a deteriorating street with aging motels and liquor stores is asking for trouble.

We can prevent it, we just don't even try. Zoning and Codes were supposed to but they have no teeth because the People don't care.
Old November 29, 2015, 12:39 AM   #14
dakota.potts

I have an issue with limiting where liquor can be sold and telling a restaurant they can't be open 24 hours. It's just trading freedom for government overreach in a different category than our own. A business owner should be able to set their own hours and a consumer should be able to shop accordingly.

I do like some waffle house, and having been a member of a rock band for several years I had my share of post-gig 3 AM Waffle House dinners. They have some good egg and cheese sandwiches. I don't tend to notice any strange patrons if I'm there during sunlight hours. I think any business that operates at such hours just has an inherent risk of dealing with the types of people that are out at all hours. Wal-marts tend to have the same problem.

There's also an element of culture (they're not considered upper-class establishments) and low cost.
Always looking for new opportunities
Old November 29, 2015, 02:49 PM   #15
michael t

Family place If you family a bunch of drunks and drug uses. or other assorted criminal type. Was in one late one night after work. A guy came in and said he needed a Chev distributor . A customer asked if he pay $20 for one. Guy said yes. Customer said get some coffee . Came back in a few min later with a distributor . Got his 20 and went back to eating. I left and noticed the gas station next door had the hood up on a Chev.

I used to go in them for the entertainment Hookers on break, drunks both men and women , fights , Drunk waitress that couldn't get orders right, Some times were really a fun place.
Old November 29, 2015, 07:13 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

A lot of WH's apparent large numbers of shootings is an artifact of name recognition of a national chain with a dubious reputation and OVER 2100 stores. If you Google "waffle house shooting," then you won't really find all that many shootings unless you scroll through tons of pages. As a national chain, they do get some recognizable press coverage when events happen. When you scroll through the pages of stories (the waitress shooting repeats at least 200 times in various forms).

The point here is that the problem appears worse than it actually is.

No doubt a lot of what happens has to do with being lesser affluent parts of town, easy highway access to many locations, 24 hours, inexpensive menu compared to other 24 hr eateries, drunk diners, compact stores insuring close contact/interaction, etc. There are some bad guy shootings. There are some robberies that involve shooting. There are some shootings by good guys. There are even a few where the shooting has nothing to do with the Waffle House other than the fact that somebody was on property (e.g., parking lot, not necessarily a customer/employee).

That some WHs had no guns signs up for a short time likely has nothing to do with said events.
Old November 30, 2015, 09:37 AM   #17
BlueTrain

The original question was a leading question. Are there in fact a lot of shootings at Waffle House?
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 30, 2015, 10:04 AM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Not really, not relative to the number of stores.

There are a "lot" of shootings at Walmart as well, but they have 3275 stores.

There are a bunch at Jack-in-the-Box which has 2200 stores

Google IHOP shootings as well and see all the hits that pop up. They have over 1650 stores.
Old November 30, 2015, 10:05 AM   #19
Skans

There's no problem with Waffle Houses. The real problem lies with cities/counties allowing establishments to be open at all hours of the night. "24-7" establishments, whether retail, food or otherwise, is the worst thing that can happen to a town.
Old November 30, 2015, 10:12 AM   #20
FITASC

Last road trip, the wife and I stopped in WH a few times -for BREAKFAST. Everyone is friendly, no hint of any issues even though the crowd was a large blend of colors, ethnicities and families. Not a fan of waffles, but scattered, smothered and covered go great with my eggs and extra crispy bacon.

Any place open 24/7 will have seedy folks hanging around once you get past the midnight hour - especially on the weekend.
Old November 30, 2015, 10:48 AM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

Reason number 47 why I don't eat at Awful House....

Besides the bad food and generally lousy service.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 30, 2015, 11:05 AM   #22
Targa

I love Waffle House food.....so did Tin Cup's crew..
Old November 30, 2015, 11:21 AM   #23
Rancid

We stop by the local "Awful Waffle" several times a week during hunting season. Roll in around 0330 for an early breakast before heading out on the water chasing ducks. No one ever bothers us. Maybe it's all of the camo and gear we have? Or the fact that we have taken apart and cleaned a few shotguns on the counter.
Old December 1, 2015, 02:38 AM   #24
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirod
Then Building Code adds another slap as the buildings and neighborhood as a whole become uneconomically unrepairable, and the local governing body refuses to force property owners to update to current standards.
Are you generally implying the building codes and the lack of enforcement of them leads to a neighborhood with more crime and shootings? And if Waffle House builds a new store in a particular city, I don't see a mass exodus of patrons abandoning their old Waffle House for the brand new one. There are a lot of old restaurants, in New York City for example, which wouldn't stay open if people flocked primarily to new places.

Besides, who has the money to update their property for the constantly changing building codes? Requiring all buildings meet all current standards is one of the largest unfunded mandates you can place on a neighborhood and is pretty much the best way to increase abandoned properties. If you think the crime and shootings are bad in areas now, just wait until the same areas are abandoned.

If people are misbehaving, they need to be punished, not the store which stays open 24/7.
Old December 1, 2015, 09:40 AM   #25
KEYBEAR

I find it kind sad that a gun owner has no problem telling WH to shorten the hours that they can be open (what is next) Same as telling me I can have a firearm but not ammo ?? This is still the U.S.A. or is it .

Micky-D is also open 24/7 we must stop this ?