The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 2, 2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Sir Loads-A-Lot

Murabito revolver safety experience

I am still looking for anyone with firsthand knowledge of a Murabito revolver safety. Any posts will be appreciated..good or bad.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:22 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have seen one, but do not own a revolver with it on.

The company slams the S&W lock, and says theirs is superior, but they really have different goals. The S&W lock is intended to prevent use by unauthorized persons and must be operated with a special key. The Murabito safety I saw was like the safety of an auto pistol, it was simply moved down to unlock, so it does not do much to prevent unauthorized use.

The company says, "It was developed for those of us who would like to carry a revolver, but don't like the idea of a revolver without a safety lever."

Since I see no point in any safety on a double action revolver, I obviously would not spend $150 to have one installed. Incidentally, the Murabito safety does NOT allow a revolver to be carried "cocked and locked". It only prevents the trigger from being pulled when the hammer is down and the trigger at rest.

Edited to add. The Murabito safety would probably keep the revolver from being used if the gun is grabbed in close fighting, since it is very unlikely that the bad guy would know about the safety and take it off. So I will concede that point in its favor.

Jim
Old February 2, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Sir Loads-A-Lot

Jim..
Thanks for your thoughts. My concerns are not with the locking of the gun from unauthorized use but with the extra precaution of the gun discharging when being pulled from concealed carry. I know that a DA is a longer and much heavier trigger pull, but in the heat of trying to get the gun out to use bad things could happen. I know extensive training could help with the draw. I have always carried a 1911 type cocked and locked for many years with nary a problem. Using the safety lever is second nature for me. I am asking this because my wife will not carry a semi or a gun without a manual safe. WHAT TO DO? This Maribito Safety was an option to put her mind at ease and mine. She is not new to shooting sports being a 3 time state and national champion trap shooter. I just hope that fix is the way to go. $150 is a lot to shell out.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:33 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I should say that you don't draw a gun from the holster with your finger on the trigger no matter what kind of safety it has.

But I date to a time when that was exactly what we did, not only drawing with the finger on the trigger, but beginning the DA pull long before the gun came up on the target. (Yes, I still have all my toes, and my legs and feet are unmarred by bullet holes.) So, I do have to make that admission, even while saying that I don't endorse it, at least not for anyone without a great deal of practice in gun handling.

I will say that I think you and your wife need to practice drawing
to the point you do it safely without the aid of a gadget that is IMHO totally unnecessary.

But if your wife or you won't carry without it, then it becomes a choice of spending the money or not carrying; that is your decision.

Jim
Old February 4, 2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Sir Loads-A-Lot

Jim K.
Thanks for your thoughts but I don't have a problem with any of MY carries. I have been an instructor for 34 years. The issue is with my wife not being comfortable not having an external manual safety on any handgun. I have worked with her extensively on her carry technique and I think she could pass as being safe. BUT..unless you have been in a position of having to use a gun in self defense and drawing a handgun very fast with your adrenalin raised then anyone could have a potential problem. Back in the '60's quite a few NYCP officers had this type of safety installed on their revolvers for that reason but the powers to be stopped the armorers from putting them in any more service revolvers. Maybe they had a problem with the additional expense.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

As I said, it is your decision. I told you how that safety works and why I probably wouldn't want one, but I am not you and I most definitely am not your wife. In my time as a deputy sheriff I never shot anyone, not was I shot at, so I don't have your experience in that area either. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Jim
Old February 4, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Sir Loads-A-Lot

Thanks for all your input. I just received a NIB 1998 S&W 317 LadySmith today from a gentleman in Alaska. I am sending it off to N.H. This week to have the Muribito safety installed.