The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Diesel77

Maverick 88 - 1st time at the range

So I just got back from the NRA headquarters range where I was able to shoot my Maverick 88 12 ga field model for the first time.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, you're only allowed to shoot slugs at the NRA, so armed with 25 shells worth of shot in the stock and a LimbSaver, I braced myself for a kick an order of magnitude greater than my pistol... And boy did it deliver! But it didn't hurt at all or bother me, it felt great to shoot!

I'm brand spanking new to shotguns, so I didn't really know what to expect in terms of ballistics... Those slugs tore up my target at 25 feet like you wouldn't believe (I guess you would, actually as most of you are much more seasoned with shotguns than I am).

On the pistol side of things, people are always debating the stopping power of various calibers versus magazine capacity... With this shotgun, there is no argument. Whatever is on the other end of the barrel will be stopped. Cold.

I can't imagine what the target would look like if I was using buckshot... Or maybe there wouldn't be a target left to examine...

My only cause for pause was that I could only fit two shells in the magazine tube. I was miffed because I thought I had bought a model that fit 5+1. Turns out that the field model has a plug in it where the HD one does not. And as I'm sure y'all could've solved for me in an instant, I figured out how to remove the plug.

So 5+1, plus 5 in a sleeve on the stock, no recoil pain, and a truly eye-opening experience at the range has made me a huge fan of this platform.

Thanks again to all those who have chimed in and given me some good advice to make my first outing an extremely positive one!

-D
Old January 12, 2013, 07:51 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You have a "migratory bird plug" in the mag tube to limit the gun to 3 total shells for waterfowl and other migratory birds...

Simply remove the barrel retainer screw and shake the thing pointing down. if a little rod don't poke out, try pushing three shells in, that should push it out enough to grab with fingers and pull out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwNCQhVdGgw
this is a link to the tutorial for this...

Worst case requires peeking in the hole and use a thin wire to guide it out...

Then you get 5+1 capacity...

Brent
Old January 12, 2013, 07:56 PM   #3
KMAX

Glad you enjoyed your 12 ga. I have been shooting them for over 40 years. Bought my first single shot at 13. If I were choosing one all around best gun a 12 ga would be it. Not good for concealed carry, but good for HD and a lot of different hunting depending on the type of ammo. I would say 12 ga has about the widest range of ammo choices of any caliber/guage. I love my 12s.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old January 12, 2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Diesel77

Thanks, hogdogs - the shaking pointing down worked without any issues.

And nice to hear your history, KMAX. I'm just beginning to appreciate the versatility of the 12 gauge...
Old January 13, 2013, 07:29 PM   #5
new_shooter

Shot my buddies 88 great SG first I ever shot but great none the less