The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1
02bigdogs17

.357 mag with H110

I am loading some 125 grain winchester jacketed soft hollow points for a ruger bolt action .357 mag. My question is my load data is for a hornady 125 grain XTP wich is jacketed all the way up and the book says start with 21.0 grains of H110. Will this be ok for the soft hollow point I am using or do I need to lighten up the powder charge a little for this bullet. Have not loaded for a .357 rifle before just want to make sure everything is good. Thanks for info..
Old January 12, 2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

First, follow the info in the loading manuals and start with their recommended starting loads before working up.

I loaded .357 ammo for a brother-in-law years back and his rifle, a Marlin, would not fire them without showing pressures. My RUGER Security Six fired them with zero issues.

So, each firearm is a rule unto itself, and you need to check yours out in a safe way.

I would not expect your Winchester bullet to cause problems.

However, both my Speer and Nosler manuals show lower start loads for the 125gr then you indicate.

Speer starting is 18gr and max is 20gr, while Nosler shows 18.6 starting and 19.6 as Max.

From what I see, I'd think your starting of 21gr. is way past the point of hot.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old January 12, 2013, 04:22 PM   #3
LE-28

According to my Lyman's 49 edition, Starting load is 21gr and Max load is 22gr. There's not a lot of room for error.

With a pistol you have a barrel to cylinder gap that allows pressure to escape but with a rifle you don't.

You will have to have a decent crimp as I'm sure you already know, H110 is a pressure building powder and even though your using a bolt action and not a tube magazine, you will still need it to get a complete burn.

Watch your OAL that the bullet doesn't hit the riflings because you don't have a lot of wiggle room with this load.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
mmb713

You should never download H110 below published starting loads. It is a hard to ignite powder that requires a magnum primer, full case and a heavy crimp to ignite properly. Hodgdon's loading guides have always included a caveat about downloading H110. Don't do it. If starting loads with H110 are more power than you want then switch to another powder, like 2400. It is far more forgiving at being downloaded. If I were loading 357 Magnum jacketed bullets for a rifle I would stick with higher end loads to ensure bullets don't get stuck in the bore. The bullet shanks of your Winchester JHPs and Hornady XTPs should be about the same and are fully jacketed so resistance should be about the same. The unjacketed portion of the Winchester bullets will have zero effect on bullet resistance since it never contacts the rifling. Your data of a start of 21.0 and max of 22.0 is straight out of Hodgdon's reloading guide too. Hornady's data maxes out below 20.0 with H110 though. Your Ruger 77/357 should be able to handle Hodgdon's load just fine. They make the same rifle in 44 Magnum. I would bet that the 77/357 is the strongest platform for the 357 Magnum ever devised.