The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 08:40 AM   #1
redrick

Anyone Pattern Buckshot @ 40yds.

I am looking for a new semi auto shotgun for deer.

I have Savage 220 already but I cannot use it for all of my hunting situations.

Looking for suggestions from people that have patterned their shotgun with buckshot at 40 yds. recently.

What buckshot patterned the best and worst ?

Which if any aftermarket chokes have you tried and which worked the best ?
Old January 12, 2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

00 from a 10 gauge with a full choke, disaster. Nice ring of pellets around a large empty hole. Other gauges and chokes may be different but that was my last experience with buckshot. Then I shot #3 steel shot on the same target and it was a perfect pattern inside that big hole the buckshot left. I know what my gun likes.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 12, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Noreaster

I did 00 buck from a cylinder bore at 50 yds and it was not good, not good enough for two or four legged targets. I'm going to try #4 buck and 00 buck from a 28inch barrel with mod and then full choke to see which is better. I'll be hunting coyotes with this setup. I'll let you know how it works.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:53 PM   #4
jmortimer

Here is Box O'Truth and #1 buck shot Flite Control up to 35 yards
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56.htm
Old January 12, 2013, 09:05 PM   #5
mavracer

If you want to use buckshot at 40 yards use federal flight control and a cylinder bore.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 12, 2013, 09:12 PM   #6
jmortimer

Flite Control and cylinder bore seems to be the ticket.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:38 PM   #7
mxsailor803

I've used a 1100 with a turkey full with 00 for deer without any problems. But from previous bad luck, I refuse to use Federal shotgun ammo. Winchester is my buckshot of choice hands down.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:55 PM   #8
RMcL

Regardless of any advice offered, remember you have to pattern test YOUR Gun/Choke/Load combination.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:36 AM   #9
johnmcgowan

Funny you should ask as I patterned mine yesterday . Im going on a designated predator hunt the 3rd weekend of February here in Alabama and I was wondering just how good my Winchester ranger semi auto 12 ga/ 2 and 3/4 inch chamber with modified fixed choke 28 inch barrel would do with 00 buck for coyotes . Shot at 30 yards and all 9 pellets hit a full two sheet of newspaper, with a half decent group. 40 yards and it began to spread, all 9 pellets hit paper but it was drifting high and to the right. 50 yards and 5 pellets hit paper but not what I would call a dependable group by any means. I was sorta depressed after I saw this.
Then I wanted to see what #1 buck would do just for the heck of it.
I was pleasantly suprised to find that my choice will be the #1 buckshot for this hunt !! Even at 50 yards , all the pellets of the #1 did a good enough job on paper for me to trust it with trying to pop a yote, Granted , I dont think I would try a shot out past 50 yards, but I'll have my Ruger 270 by my side for those longer shots, if they present themself.
Now having said all that, you milage may very well vary. What my gun doesnt like, yours just may. You will just have to pattern it to see where everything hits at different yardage. Grab you up a few rounds of #1 buck to try while you are out there, hopefully they will do well for you. Report back and let us know how it went.
Good luck,
John
Old January 31, 2013, 05:49 PM   #10
redrick

I tried that with a new Weatherby SA-08. I tried 6 different buckshots including #1 BK from 3 different manufactures and 5 aftermarket chokes plus the 3 factory chokes that came with the gun. It would not pattern or shoot POI. I ended up selling it for $50 dollars less than I paid for it, or about the price of another choke.

I am now trying to find a new semi auto shotgun that people have patterned . If I see a few post about the same make shotgun that people have patterned that would be a good recommendation as to what I will buy next. I know that I will still have to pattern mine, but I don't want to buy a unknown again.
Old February 1, 2013, 03:11 PM   #11
RMcL

I prefer to use very large buckshot for thick cover deer and hog hunting. My favorite buckshot load is the 3" 12 gauge Dixie Tri-ball Buckshot. From my full choke Remington, the 3/4th ounce pellets pattern into < 5" at 40 yards.
Complete penetration is the norm.