The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 11, 2013, 11:04 PM   #1
FLChinook

Another solvent question... for revolvers

I've just started collecting revolvers and I haven't given much thought to cleaning them. I just Googled the matter and was aghast to find just about everyone advises cleaning a revolver after every use. That's no problem when I just use one gun but when I take three or four, the cleanup time could eclipse the range time...

I clean my long guns in my cabin (where my wife banned the operation due to the vast number of odors involved with all the solvents. I must confess to have tried just about every solvent made and have even combined some in the search for the perfect solution.

Which brings me to my question. If I'm going to be allowed to bring my revolver cleaning back into the house where it will be so much more convenient and where it might actually get done, I need to find an almost odorless solvent that can be used by itself and that will get the bulk of the gunk off. It needs to be TOTALLY harmless to bluing. I grew up with Hoppe's No. 9 but while I love the smell, my wife does not. What's recommended?
Old January 11, 2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Hammerhead

I use FP-10 for cleaning and oiling my revolvers. No odors.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3
4 Paws

I would think CLP would fit the bill.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:35 PM   #4
FLChinook

What's the difference between Shooters's Choice FP-10 and CLP?
Old January 11, 2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Hammerhead

I think they are very similar.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:31 AM   #6
FLChinook

The description of FP-10 says it's a lubricant. Is it that good a cleaner? As good as Hoppe's #9...
Old January 12, 2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Give the Mrs. nose plugs.

As an experiment a few years ago I fired nearly 5,000 lead handloads through my S&W Model 19 without cleaning.

Was still working fine when I finally broke down to peer pressure and cleaned it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:55 AM   #8
SgtLumpy

I've used nothing more than Break Free CLP for decades. No Hoppes, no nuthin' else. No odor.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 12, 2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Gdawgs

I don't fully clean mine after every range trip either. But I always wipe mine down after every time I handle them(blue ones anyway, not stainless) because I have sweaty hands and they rust if I put them away without a wipedown. Rem-Oil in the aerosol can works great. It's a two in one, a lubricant and it contains cleaning solvents, so it easily removes the powder residue. Quick wipe down, no powder residue, no rust, and it doesn't smell.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:22 AM   #10
bds32

If you like Hoppe's, convince the wife to go shopping during gun cleaning time. Then clean up and spray some air freshner. Dump your used patches, Q tips, and other materials in the outside trash. Store your gun cleaning kit in the garage. Run a fan and open windows if necessary.

I lay down protective material, then my towels, clean with Hoppe's 9, then clean with lysol wipes just to get everything up. No complaints from the wife.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Gdawgs

Or you could try cleaning with Butch's Bore Shine a couple times, which has got to be the stinkiest stuff on the planet. She will think the Hoppes #9 is an expensive French perfume after that.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:15 AM   #12
wogpotter

M-pro 7 is my choice.
Low odor, can be applied & left in to work, without you scrubbing the chemical does the work, not your elbow grease, then removed, minimising work effort & removes copper (most modern cleaners don't). Come in 3 versions powder cleaner that removes some copper, copper cleaner, a much stronger version, but still safe to leave in & low smell, & a lubricant to finish off & protect from corrosion.
Process takes 10 mins a gun, go do something else, 5 minutes a gun to wipe out & oil.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 12, 2013, 10:24 AM   #13
jmortimer

Most probably clean every time but many do not including a professional exhibition shooter I know of. The world will not stop turning if you don't. Check out Ballistol, Frog Lube or Gunzilla. All non-toxic CLPs, with Ballistol being the original CLP. They all work well and I can't pick a favorite. Hickock 45 really gave Ballistol a second wind which is a good thing as it is a great product.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:18 PM   #14
GP100man

For a qwik clean I use G-96 (it has a vinilla smell) but for a deep cleen I use ED`s RED (keroseene smell) I do a once a yr. tear down to clean it all to the metal & take measurements for wear monitoring.

Very little grease (I like the synthetics ,no runnin when hot & no stiffinin when cold)& oil & a dry lube when possible so it does`nt attract dirt,carbon lint, hair & anything else that it may come in contact with !

For extended blue gun storage they get Dextron III ATF.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:23 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

Hoppes Elite Guncleaner and MPro-7 cleaner are both very good cleaners with very minimal odor. My wife has trouble with strong solvent odors and there have been zero complaints about these two productss. I've been very happy with their performance.

There are also some very low odor lubricants out there. Dillon Snake Oil has virtually no smell, but it may not provide much corrosion protection. Lubriplate FMO-350 AW is supposed to be very good in terms of corrosion protection and it has no detectable odor. You can buy it from a small company called Lubrikit who sells it along with another Lubriplate product, a light grease which also has little or no odor.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Carne Frio

I'm now using Gunzilla. It doesn't stink up the
place and is non toxic. It also works very well.
http://www.gunzilla.us/
Old January 12, 2013, 01:55 PM   #17
Hammerhead

Quote:
The description of FP-10 says it's a lubricant. Is it that good a cleaner? As good as Hoppe's #9...
It is not a copper solvent like #9, but it cleans up anything else.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:54 PM   #18
Duke City Six

Another vote for Gunzilla. Non-toxic, low odor and very effective.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:26 PM   #19
FLChinook

When I looked up Gunzilla, I found the following TLF link:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265198

It looks pretty good.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:39 PM   #20
FLChinook

Is there any difference in the actual product between:

Gunzilla 8 oz Pump Spray BC-10 and
GUNZILLA 4OZ TWIST TOP?
Old January 13, 2013, 10:16 AM   #21
bedbugbilly

Or . . . you could strike a deal with the wife . . . no more odors from solvents if she let's you put 'em in the dishwasher when the dishes get done?

I've always used Hoppes but I have to agree with you on the odor end of it . . . fortunately I have room in the basement that I can do it in that is ventilated. I'll have to try some of the things mentioned here . . . an old dog can learn new tricks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 13, 2013, 09:22 PM   #22
pittspilot

Another fan of Mpro7. Works very well and no smell.

Winston S. Churchill

"The American Republic is finished when the Congress realizes that it can bribe the people with the peoples money"

De Touqueville
Old January 13, 2013, 10:35 PM   #23
FLChinook

Summary

I should have made this a poll. Here's the primary responses to date:

FP-10 (1)
Break Free CLP (1)
Rem Oil Aerosol (surface cleaning only) (1)
M-Pro 7 (3)
Gunzilla (3)
G-96 (1)
Hoppes Elite (1)

Everyone has their favorites and my experience is that most shooters can agree more religion and politics than about gun cleaning solvents

I'm leaning toward Gunzilla as it might be more gentle on blued surfaces... but that's just a thought
Old January 13, 2013, 10:45 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Hoppes Elite Guncleaner and MPro-7 are so much alike that I can't tell any difference and some claim that they're basically the same product with very minor differences. That's why I usually mention them in the same breath.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:02 PM   #25
FLChinook

The description of Hoppe's Elite at Brownells says it "Will remove oil-based stock finishes." Hmmmm.. I don't see the same caveat with M-Pro7 but are they really the same?

BTW, I'm kind of down on Gunzilla solely because I tried to call them with a question and got voicemail (and no reply yet). It must be a pretty small operation...