The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
cdbeagle

CZ 83

Just bought one NIB off GunBroker. I chose it over a Sig P232 b/c I own two CZ rifles and a 75 SP-01 Tactical and have been impressed with them all, I know CZ is not making the 83 anymore but feel confident they will service them for a long time. In the opinions of whoever reads this thread, how does the CZ 83 compare quality wise with the Sig P232?
Old January 9, 2013, 07:41 PM   #2
PSP

You didn't say which caliber the CZ83 is. I assume you mean .380, but they also came in .32acp and 9mm mak.

I have both the CZ 83 and Sig P232, in fact several Sigs, as they come in several different models. I've always looked at the CZ as an overly complicated gun, small for a service weapon, heavy for concealed carry, reliable and accurate enough but not made of the highest quality. The 83 is an improvement over the 82 in many ways, but still basically the same pistol. Other than it's quality the only flaw I really wish were corrected was the lack of a safe decocker. For a gun of similar size, use and capacity I prefered the Beretta 84, which was quite a bit lighter, carried more ammo and was the high quality I'd want in a CCW.

The Sig is a very high quality pistol. It's a gun I have carried but only for limited times. It is very light in comparrison to the CZ, but has less capacity, only the 7+1 mags. The gun is very accurate, easy to shoot well and slim enough to easily conceal. It has several available grips to suit most any shooter.

I've had CZs break or wear beyond expectations. I've yet to have a Sig break or wear out.

Last edited by PSP; January 9, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3
cdbeagle

It is a .380. If I don't like it I will sell it and buy a P232. My daughter's boyfriend has a P238 which I don't care for. The trigger is heavy and the grip is too short for my taste. For a pocket gun I have a Colt Cobra and a Detective Special, both with Hogue grips. I just don't like to shoot a handgun where my pinky finger doesn't wrap around the grip, and will sacrifice some concealibility for a larger grip.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Billy Shears

Excellent handgun. They're durable, reliable and a heckuva lot of fun. And no slide bite worries.

Go shoot it. You'll see.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:21 PM   #5
PSP

Quote:
And no slide bite worries.
Mine did give me hammer bites though.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:01 PM   #6
FALPhil

Quote:
..but not made of the highest quality. The 83 is an improvement over the 82 in many ways, but still basically the same pistol. Other than it's quality the only flaw I really wish were corrected was the lack of a safe decocker.
What "quality" issues are you referring to? I have never seen a CZ that was of inferior quality compared to a Sig. Ever. And I have seen literally thousand of both.

As to decockers, well, I never saw the utility of a decocker. Seems like a solution looking for a problem.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:50 PM   #7
PSP

Quote:
What "quality" issues are you referring to?
* Sears wear quicker than many other pistols I've owned. I suspect the steel used is a little softer than in some more expensive guns.
* The ambidexterous mag button mechanism also wears... metalic shaving, over time, can corrupt and prematurely wear the parts.
* the plastic used in the grip is cheap and will not hold up to some modern cleaners. CZ82/83 wood grips tend to crack. The single screw puts to much pressure on the wood I think.
* The finish is utilitarian. Nothing wrong with that per se, but CZ does not put a long lasting, space-age type durable finish on this gun. Compared to Bruniton, HK's HE, Nitron and other finishes common today, the CZ is lacking.
* Beware of parts falling out when removing the grips. I'd call that a design flaw.

I'm not saying it's a bad gun, or that one shouldn't own one. A comparative question was asked and I answered based on my owning and personally using and comparing them. I've purhased 2 CZ82s, a CZ83, several Sig 230/232s and three Beretta 84/85s so I have some ability to discuss the three I mentioned.

Comparatively... the Beretta is the best, followed by the Sig, followed by the CZ... IMHO. I'm just sharing my experience. I hope the OP has a great experience with his CZ83. One thing is is, it is reliable.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:15 PM   #8
mbott

Quote:
* Sears wear quicker than many other pistols I've owned. I suspect the steel used is a little softer than in some more expensive guns.
* The ambidexterous mag button mechanism also wears... metalic shaving, over time, can corrupt and prematurely wear the parts.
* the plastic used in the grip is cheap and will not hold up to some modern cleaners. CZ82/83 wood grips tend to crack. The single screw puts to much pressure on the wood I think.
* The finish is utilitarian. Nothing wrong with that per se, but CZ does not put a long lasting, space-age type durable finish on this gun. Compared to Bruniton, HK's HE, Nitron and other finishes common today, the CZ is lacking.
* Beware of parts falling out when removing the grips. I'd call that a design flaw.
Must be gun older that 12 years as my '01 CZ83 hasn't encountered any of these issues.

--
Mike