The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 06:24 AM   #26
Hal

@ Mac ...
Good stories.
It'll be a shame when the "good ones" such as yourself are gone & all that's left is the young pups that just see local law enforcement as a stepping stone to "the big show".(Federal)
Old January 10, 2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Mac's!

Quote:
Saying most but not all cops aren't proficient with their firearms is as bad as the original exaggeration that a person can fire a thousand rounds in two miniutes.
I never said that most cops weren't proficient with their firearms. I said they were ignorant about firearms. There is quite a large difference between those two statements. They may be expert shots with their own duty weapons and be totally ignorant about firearms in general.

Quote:
If scores of 90 and better were not achieved the officer was sent back to the line.
Hmmmm! Most Departments don't use any type of scoring system and haven't for quite a few years. It's either pass or fail. It's a liabilty issue... you score 100 on the range but then miss the bad guy and hit Grandma, etc.

Quote:
I dropped back into the low 90's. Got kicked upstairs so I didn't have to keep redeeming myself.
Uhmmm...ahhh.... pssst! You just vaildated my statement that supervisors can't shoot.

I stand by my statement that most but not all law enforcement officers are ignorant about firearms. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.

Tuff-Gun Finsihes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old January 10, 2013, 01:04 PM   #28
bumnote

I work with computers all day long and I'm quite proficient and fast on them...for what I have to do with it on a daily basis. I have no freakin' clue about what's going on inside the box, the network or how the programs were designed. I'm an excellent driver....but I couldn't tell you what's really going on under the hood of my car if I had to. Most police officers are the same about their cruisers. They also probably couldn't explain, from a medical standpoint, how pepper spray and stun guns effect the body and do what they do.
I'm friends with a few police officers, and when it comes to shooting their weapons and the tactics used...they're great and know what exactly what to do.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:07 PM   #29
ChasingWhitetail91

The only one at a police station that needs to be proficient (in terms of cleaning, disassembling, re-assembly, knowledge of firearm history, trajectory and so forth) is the person who either issues the firearms or works in the armory. I don't care if my butcher knows how to forge a knife, as long as he cuts a nice steak with it.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:02 PM   #30
royal barnes

Mac's! I retired thirteen years ago so I have no idea what qualification requirements are now for PD's.

P.S. I didn't get kicked upstairs because I couldn't shoot. I got kicked upstairs because they needed a tactical commander for our three full time SWAT teams. I could shoot then and I still can.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:39 AM   #31
GM2

Quote:
Are cops saying silly things?
Or is it silly to take what one cop said and then pose the question as plural i.e. Cops ?

Last edited by GM2; January 11, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old January 11, 2013, 07:28 AM   #32
spacecoast

Quote:
Are is it silly to take what one cop said and then pose the question as plural i.e. Cops ?
That's why it was posed as a question.