The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 12:07 PM   #1
daftmoniker

Revolver locks, trigger won't pull

I recently got a .38SPL revolver (Taurus).

Factory new, I brought it out to a range yesterday and immediately ran into an issue.

It is a 5 shot cylinder. I can cycle through rounds 1-4, discharge, but on chamber #5, the trigger freezes up completely, almost like it locks. The only way to get the trigger to budge is to depress it again completely, but then the cylinder cycles past chamber #5, going back to #1. It will not function on chamber #5.

I stopped shooting it, removed ammo, boxed it and brought it home. I cleaned it very, very well and tested it again through dry firing. Same issue. I spun the cylinder around a few times and realized it is a specific chamber that it does this on, not just after 4 rotations. A specific chamber will not allow it to function.

Any suggestions? This is a Taurus M85, 38SPL, 3".
Old January 13, 2013, 12:28 PM   #2
DFrame

If the revolver is new, it's almost certainly under warranty. You should contact their customer support and let them know whats going on. They should make it right.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
kimbers rule

Send it back for sure.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Webleymkv

I concur that the best course of action would be contacting Taurus as they have a lifetime warranty on all their new guns. Be advised, however, that you may be in for a long wait to get your gun repaired. Taurus isn't known for being particularly quick with warranty issues and the current state of panic buying certainly isn't going to help things.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Nakanokalronin

Bring it back to the shop you bought it at first and see if they'll issue a refund. Many shops will do this with a brand new gun, if you bought it at a shop. In my experience, Taurus revolvers (NIB or used) are either out of time with lead shavings on the cone from factory test fire or each cylinder notch has different tolerance levels from semi-tight to loose as a goose.

Basically, take it back to the shop and see what they'll do. If they issue a refund, upgrade to a S&W or Ruger. If it has to be sent back to factory, upgrade when it eventually comes back. I know Taurus fans will be hurt by these comments, but I have yet to see a NIB Taurus revolver be as tight as a heavily used S&W or Ruger.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Bring it back to the shop you bought it at first and see if they'll issue a refund. Many shops will do this with a brand new gun, if you bought it at a shop. In my experience, Taurus revolvers (NIB or used) are either out of time with lead shavings on the cone from factory test fire or each cylinder notch has different tolerance levels from semi-tight to loose as a goose.
+1. This is not an uncommon problem for a Taurus revolver, my NIB M85 had a forcing cone issue causing it to freeze up solid too.

Since this thing is brand new, see if where you bought it will issue a refund or exchange. If they won't, contact Taurus and behold their world class customer service. Then, when you eventually get your gun back, make this gun your first, and last, Taurus.

Good luck.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Crankylove

If you send it to Taurus, be prepared to wait, and wait, and some more. My father had one doing the same as yours, and when he sent it back for repairs it was several months before they even looked at it.

And then, when they finally got around to looking at it, they deemed it unsafe to even repair as the frame had been machined too far out of spec when they manufactured it (which makes one wonder how it passed their quality control and test firing to start with), and sent him a completely different model and caliber gun to replace it, without even contacting him before hand.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Winchester_73

Quote:
Any suggestions? This is a Taurus M85, 38SPL, 3"
Save your money for something better. Taurus is not worth the money saved.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:50 PM   #9
ozarkrecluse

This has been a common problem with Taurus revolvers for years.