The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 09:35 AM   #1
jeepmcd

Been searching far and wide...

I have been looking for the mythical M&P Shield in 9mm for a few weeks now, and everyone is sold out or asking nearly $700 now. I looked at a few during the summer for around $450 but didn't act.

I realize the price has probably went up with demand, but is there any current tips or sightings out there?
Old January 8, 2013, 09:55 AM   #2
leadchucker

Looks like Gunbroker is the only source right now.

I lucked into one from Florida Gun Exchange. When they get them in, they go fast. I paid MSRP + shipping + FFL for mine, and I consider myself lucky to have got that.

Pick a good reliable dealer or three that will quote you a price, and get on their wait list.

Good luck!
Old January 8, 2013, 09:58 AM   #3
JustinBiscuit

I passed on the Shield for a Kahr PM9 with manual safety. Nothing against the Shield, just thought the Kahr was built better and had a nicer trigger.

Plus I recently purchased a new M&P 9mm with the worst trigger in the history of guns. S&W should be ashamed of themselves. Had to spend $150.00 for APEX kit. Put a bad taste in my mouth.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:17 AM   #4
bitttorrrent

sounds like a good idea. i was toying with getting a Kahr instead.
Is the trigger really better.
I have heard different opinions about the trigger.
But in the end I think the Karh will have better quality even though I have not put my hands on one.

Any photos?
Old January 8, 2013, 10:18 AM   #5
jeepmcd

I have shot the M&P 40 and 9 a year ago and really liked them both overall. The trigger was a little different, but I hadn't handled many striker handguns.

Thanks for any additional places I may track down a Shield, but I will be contacting my local shops.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:43 AM   #6
jasmith85

Why does everyone seem to want it in 9mm rather than 40? My area is just like everywhere else and its impossible to find a Shield in 9mm but I've seen a local store have a Shield in 40 in stock for around 3 weeks before it sold. I haven't shot an M&P Shield in either caliber but I've shot other pocket guns in those calibers and never notice a big enough difference in recoil with 40 or 45 to warrant refusing anything bigger than 9mm.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:14 AM   #7
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmith85

Why does everyone seem to want it in 9mm rather than 40?
Ammo cost, for one thing, recoil (real or perceived) for another.

jeepmcd: A pass @ $450 on a Shield sounds like a "snooze & lose" IMHO - what's up ? Were you waiting to get one free ?.

Old January 8, 2013, 01:11 PM   #8
leadchucker

My Shield is a .40. No really noticeable recoil difference between it and the nine. I reload, so ammo cost isn't a serious issue for me.

BTW, the Shield's trigger was one of the main selling points for me. When dry fired, it may seem gritty at first, but on the range, you don't notice it... and it smooths out considerably after three or four hundred rounds anyway.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:12 PM   #9
jeepmcd

I would rather have 9mm, but would look at .40cal. I like 9mm cost and I only have one other handgun, P226 in 9mm. I am just trying to keep my ammo purchases simple as I start my collection.

I most did snooze on the Shield I didn't buy over the summer, but I had just tapped out my budget a few weeks earlier.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:53 PM   #10
TennJed

Consider a Sig P290 also. Smaller than the shield and come with an extra 8 rd extended mag. It has a wonderful DAO trigger, and is very soft recoiling for its size
Old January 8, 2013, 10:35 PM   #11
jfrey

I paid $429.00 for my first one and $439.00 for the second but that was last spring. Haven't seen any for sale in a long time. I hear stories that S&W is still making them as fast as they can. The trigger on the Shield is much better than the one on the M&P 9.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:45 PM   #12
leadchucker

OP, there are occasional sightings and reports of availability on the Smith & Wesson board.