The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2013, 03:02 PM   #1
GWS

2013 announcement: New RCBS Press and more

Just announced at RCBS.com: RCBS's latest single station press, The Summit.
MADE IN AMERICA. (BTW, according to RCBS Chief Engineer, no Rock Chucker or Pro 2000 has been manufactured outside Oroville, California.)

Quote:
(from RCBS.com) For reloaders who need to quickly crank out precision rounds, the new RCBS® Summit Single Stage Reloading Press is the perfect tool for the job. Unlike other presses, it operates on top of the bench; the case does not move, the reloading die comes down to the case. Its all-steel linkage and cast iron frame provide the stability and ruggedness all reloaders need. The ambidextrous design allows unprecedented access to your cases, and you can quickly change dies. Made in the USA.
Quote:
(From RCBS.com)Features & Benefits
• Bench-top operation
• Ambidextrous handle operation with compound leverage
• Massive 2-inch diameter ram
• Full frontal access
• Accepts bushings for 1-inch die bodies
• Press adapter bushing
• Zerk fitting for lubrication
• Spent primer catcher
• 4.50-inch operating window for convenient access

Quote:
The all-new RCBS® Universal Case Prep Center lets serious reloaders quickly trim and prep a huge volume of cartridge cases, thanks to a 24-VDC motor that provides up to 360 RPM and 9 inch-pounds of torque. Reloaders can harness that power by adjusting the output shaft's RPM. The spring-loaded feed system offers hands-free trimming, and a single lever loads and unloads cases, then disengages them from the cutter. The Universal Case Prep Center carries a two-year limited warranty.
More info at RCBS.com
Old January 5, 2013, 04:43 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Interesting.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:17 PM   #3
serf 'rett

Looked at the photo and it appears the handle is to long for benchtop operation unless the new whiz bang press is mounted near the bench edge.

Went to the web site...yep, they have an optional short handle...hum, add on part for more buckaroos?

The small looking base leads me to think the new press will not be free standing.

From an engineering standpoint, I think the use of the word ram isn't correct. Ram normally is used for a moving part. The photo makes it appear the new gollywhapper has a 2" support column. But then again, I've been out of school for more time than I was in school, so I may not be up to date.

Think I'll wait til one you rich guys bring one home and furnish a review.

(Is this press the offspring of feeding an arbor press to many steroids?)

Last edited by serf 'rett; January 5, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:36 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

If you looked at the pic, you would see the bolts holding the press

Even mounted near the edge is better than over it
Old January 5, 2013, 08:48 PM   #5
serf 'rett

BigDinFl - working off iPhone, so the photo is smallish. I did see a silver color smear at the bottom of the press. Agree with you about over edge mounting.

Somewhat interested in whether to press could be mounted on a piece of plate steel or aluminum and easily hauled to the range.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:50 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Or maybe on something similar to a Dillon strong mount?
Old January 5, 2013, 10:16 PM   #7
old roper

Be interesting to see what the price is.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:19 PM   #8
Sevens

Is this a design along the lines of a Forster Co-Ax?
If so...bravo to RCBS. Was beginning to wonder when someone would attempt to go head-to-head with the Co-Ax.

Looks like a pretty neat new tool from green. I'm sure it'll be very well made, and I'm guessing that will be reflected in the price.
Old January 6, 2013, 02:43 AM   #9
Shootest

As I understand the MSRP price is about $260.00 and is available in 2 handle lengths as shown.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:37 AM   #10
A_Gamehog

Where do the spent primers go?
Old January 6, 2013, 09:19 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Where do the spent primers go?
Straight out the bottom, apparently.

Which also brings up the question of on-press priming. Apparently, this is designed for use with a ram prime, or off-press priming (or some other tool RCBS hasn't announced yet).
Old January 6, 2013, 09:35 PM   #12
rajbcpa

It is a shame RCBS is not competitive in the progressive press market with less than 5%. ....who cares about the SS market; these guys blew the huge competitive advantage they had 30 years ago..... In my opinion, they have no chance to regain the lost market share they gave up to Dillion and the LNL progressives....

This company is lost with no direction forward.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:38 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

Do you think the same way about Redding and Forster? Them, along with RCBS, are some of the best in the business
Old January 6, 2013, 11:01 PM   #14
Sevens

Quote:
This company is lost with no direction forward.
This company is owned by ATK, which might have bought another two or three companies between the time I hit "reply" and "submit."

Check your mortgage statements... they may own your house!
Old January 6, 2013, 11:24 PM   #15
springer99

MSRP of $260 for a single-stage press, are you kidding me? What are you possibly loading that needs a 2" diameter ram? Looks like gross over-engineering to me. Now if the actual price comes in at $100 or a bit less, they might have something for the 50cal. crowd.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:46 PM   #16
NWPilgrim

Trying to understand the practical advantage this is supposed to have for twice the price. RCBS makes good equipment but this leaves me scratching my head. Obviously intended for benchrest shooters. Any of them on here can give some insight as to what this press does that a RickChucker doesn't already do?

And I would agree the market us moving toward quality progressives so their research might have been better invested there. Unless this one some how hits a home run to dominate benchrest or something.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:55 PM   #17
Sevens

I believe it's intent is to go head to head with the Forster Co-Ax, and it's already lower in price than that fine tool.

What makes the Co-Ax worth the dough? I will let Unclenick explain that.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:57 PM   #18
GWS

Looking around I found that Midsouth Shooters lists the press for $208. Out of stock of course. I found it amusing that the instock date is October of last year. Hope that doesn't proof true a year later.

A couple of things look interesting. First, it indeed seems like an easy thing to mount to a 1/2" steel plate and shove into slots on the bench......then just as easy to pull it out and take it to the range and clamp it to something.

Second, it reminds me of a Single stage version of a Dillon 1050......stationary case......moving die. And yes a co-ax with a single giant (but stationary) ram instead of two itty biddy ones.

I just want to see it work.....we will have to stay tuned to the next RCBS shot show video on Youtube.

The Case Prep Center looks interesting too. Wonder if the 3-way cutter fits it?
Old January 7, 2013, 02:45 PM   #19
snuffy

Ol' rube is back

Looks like Rube Goldberg is alive and well, working at RCBS! For you kids, ol' rube is a mythical person who over complicates something really simple.

RCBS, thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't even be interested in testing it if it were free.

I have a co-ax made by Bonanza, Forster bought out Bonanza about 20 years ago. The co-ax is a great press, but it's retired, or is it just tired, replaced by a new Lee classic cast.

I'd be worried about the off-center pressure of this arrangement. It would eventually wear the sliding part that carries the die.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 7, 2013, 03:19 PM   #20
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I don't get it ! Looks like another answer to a question that was never asked .
Old January 7, 2013, 03:58 PM   #21
Sevens

Quote:
another answer to a question that was never asked .
If I never see this tired statement used again in the rest of the existence of man & time, it still won't be enough.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:33 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Looks like another answer to a question that was never asked .
I prefer "The answer to a problem in search of a question."
It's a cyclic oxymoron that hurts brain cells.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:15 PM   #23
BigD_in_FL

Snuffy, if you want to part with the CO-AX, let me know
Old January 8, 2013, 01:16 AM   #24
GWS

Geeze, what a lot of negativeness! I prefer to give RCBS the benefit of the doubt....at least until it is proven to be an Edsel. Why would they add this to their line at a price point above the Rockchucker if it doesn't work?

I'm probably not going to be an early adopter, unless they want to lend me one to review. But then I've never been an early adopter.......except once.....I did buy their new bench swager. That turned out to be a great tool! But I already have a Rock Chucker.....so I'll be content to wait and see. Still, I'm looking forward to Kent Sakamoto's Shot Show Video this year!
Old January 8, 2013, 02:16 AM   #25
snuffy

Quote:
Snuffy, if you want to part with the CO-AX, let me know
Actually it's broken. The top pivot pin, LH, is cracked. I called forester to see if they could replace it. They said yes, I just never got around to sending it in. Those pivot pins are in a blind hole, AND they're hardened, so a person can't just pull the pivots and replace them.

There's just too little info about this press. Those pictures are tiny, it's damn near impossible to see how it works. Is there a guide for that sliding collar? What keeps it from riding around that central post/column,(I hesitate to call it a ram). That would induce side-to-side movement of the die as it descends down upon the brass case.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?