The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1
redrick

Recommend Some Good Reloading Books

I am going to start reloading after pricing .45 colt ammo.

Can ya'll recommend some good starting books with the authors and editions.

I looked at the ABC'S of Reloading , there were about 3 different authors of that book.

Right now I am leaning at getting in line for a Lee Classic Turret Press and use it as a single until I get a feel for it.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:21 PM   #2
chris in va

I understand the Lee book is good.

Really though it would be a good idea to have a mentor that can show you the ropes in person. There are a lot of tricks to learn that the books don't tell you about.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:13 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Lyman Pistol & Revolver 3rd Edition is a good one.

It was my first manaual 4 years ago. I still use it for data to this day. I do have a Lyman 48th that was given to me by a friend a few months ago. The newest is the 49th. It has lots of good info in it though it seems more rifle oriented to me. For hand gun loads the P&R is a great one.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:52 PM   #4
redrick

Thanks M&P, thats the kind of information that I am looking for.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:11 PM   #5
TXGunNut

Lee, Lyman and Hornady are my favorite sources. Richard Lee promotes his tools but I happen to like many of them so it's a good asset. Lyman has an excellent basic book and I like their more specialized books as well. Steve Hornady makes excellent tools, cases and bullets and happens to write a good manual to show us how to use them. I have other manuals and older versions of some and they all get used on a regular basis.
I'd start with no less than two, preferably three, depending on your area of interest. I did pretty well for my first few years with the RCBS manual but additional manuals give you a much-needed broader perspective when developing specialized loads. Some manuals don't like certain powders or bullet designs but if you have more than one manual you can likely find a good starting point for most any reasonable combination of components.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:36 PM   #6
tmd47762

I have and like both Lee and Speer manuals, each has its own strengths and weaknesses. That said, I intend to buy more. One can never own too many reloading manuals.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:03 PM   #7
Kevin Rohrer

Lyman #49 is the book all others are measured by.

Any of the ABCs of Reloading prior to 9th Edition is fine.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old February 3, 2013, 11:10 PM   #8
jmortimer

"Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee should be your first choice if you are going to use Lee Precision equipment. Lymans 49th good second manual to get. That should do it. I would only get ABCs if you have $$$ to burn.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:23 AM   #9
2ndtimer

The recommendation of a mentor is great advice. I have a bunch of Reloading Manuals and they all have something to offer. I started with the Speer No. 9 and went from there. I think the Speer manual does a fine job of laying out the basics of reloading. While it may be overkill, I have Speers 9 thru 14, Noslers 2 thru 7, Hornady 3, 4 and 8, Lyman 48 and 49, and an older Sierra. I have lost a couple loaned to friends over the years, too. I don't think you can have too many, and I certainly suggest you have at least 2. It may not be as critical now that so much data is available from manufacturers on the web, but it is still nice to cross reference loads, particularly when something unexpected happens. (and it will, sooner or later)
My favorite is probably the Nosler manual, followed by the Lyman. I like and use them all.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Cheap 870

My favorite is probably Speer's followed by Hornady's.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:57 AM   #11
jj320

Just found a book on amazon called reloading for handgunners by Patrick Sweeney have not read it . has anyone else read this book
Old February 4, 2013, 10:59 AM   #12
rlc323

If you have the Kindle (the wife does) and Amazon Prime you can borrow The ABC's of Reloading free for a month. This is the 2010 version by Rodney James, $15.99 paperback, $12.99 Kindle purchase.

Good book to start out with.