The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 4, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
salvadore

walker/dragoon

My local shooter emporium has a Walker and a Dragoon..I believe 3rd model not particularly great case on either, fit on the walker may be a bit off, but assuming equal finish, does anyone who has used both have any opinion as to which is funner and etc.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2
salvadore

Oh yeah, one other thing. Back in 1968 I purchased a used Walker. Does anyone know who could have made it.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:23 PM   #3
mykeal

Two possibilities: Uberti and Armi San Marco. Not the only two possibilities, however. I understand Palmetto also offered one, but I've never seen one.

Funner? Impossible to answer; they're different guns, so they appeal to different tastes.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

Some shooters....

....Are really turned off by the loading lever drop on the Walkers. The Dragoon largely remedied that problem.

On the other hand, the Walker is a no nonsense emotional experience to shoot.

I think if I did not have either and wanted both, I would go for the Walker.

On the revolver you purchased some time ago, I have four examples of ASM large revolvers and I love them all.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Old January 4, 2013, 08:41 PM   #5
bushmaster65

my first was a Uberti 2nd model Dragoon this last July. Love it to death so I had to buy a Uberti Walker in August. As stated above, Both are different.
Prices are going up so if it was me I would start with the Walker.You shouldn't have to pay more than 350-400.00 to your door for a new Walker. Bought mine in August from Able Ammo here in Texas so I had to pay tax and it was exactly $401.00 to my door. Either one will suffice in getting you good and hooked on BP revolvers. Welcome to BPA! (black powders anonymous)
Old January 4, 2013, 08:54 PM   #6
BirchOrr

Holy mackerel Bushmaster, you said, "Welcome to BPA" to Doc? The Doc was hooked on BP a long time ago. Don't think you realize who you were addressing there brother!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old January 4, 2013, 09:13 PM   #7
BirchOrr

OK Doc...

... now that I have THAT off my chest, as said in all the previous posts, they both are different animals. No need to say it again. I'd take the Walker. Yep, the Dragoon has loading lever advantages. The Walker has a huge "click-boom"! I'd never part with my Uberti/Walker. I would buy a "real" Colt/Walker reproduction in a heartbeat if... the price was right. Don't mind the loading lever drop when she's loaded to the gills with BP. I'd tape the loading lever up with painters tape if I had to.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...

Last edited by BirchOrr; January 4, 2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 4, 2013, 10:31 PM   #8
arcticap

For me, the Walker is sort of too heavy to hold "comfortably".
I much prefer the round trigger guard of the 3rd Model Dragoon, and its weight is just a little more manageable.
And it has the more modern square notches on the cylinder instead of oval.
If I was blind folded and had to choose, I'm pretty sure that I would pick the Dragoon.
Who usually loads more than 50 grains in their Walker?
But if it's a package deal then buy both and double your fun!
Old January 4, 2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Beagle333

The old Palmetto Walkers ain't bad looking. I almost bought this one about a year ago (when this fellow bought it). It went through a couple of times (fairly cheap) without selling, and I backed out of it right before it sold, because I got to thinkin about how hard parts would be to find/make. He priced it up about $100 more and has had it on GB ever since, and comes down about $5 every month.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=324105404
Old January 4, 2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Beagle333

Quote:
Who usually loads more than 50 grains in their Walker?
Me!
Old January 4, 2013, 10:53 PM   #11
SIGSHR

The Dragoon is my favorite BP revolver, firing it with full loads is like firing an N-frame with 38 Specials, the balance and heft are right for me. I have both,if you can get both, do so.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

Birch and Bush

Actually I AM new to BP shooting. I started sometime around 1975 so I still have a lot to learn.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Old January 5, 2013, 12:09 PM   #13
salvadore

Thanks folks, I guess you all are right about an emotional choice.

Doc I know you're a new guy to BP, (75?), but the one I purchased in 68' was used and I don't recall any case on the frame..long time ago to remember for sure, and you are right the amazing dropping lever was a pain in the pooper. Were repros sold in the old days without case coloring? Thanks again for all the feed back.