The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 25, 2013, 09:00 PM   #1
GunXpatriot

AR-15 Documentary on CNBC Right now!

I dunno, so they say they will explain the rifle without praising or condemning. I don't know if this thread will be deleted, or what, but I'm just hoping that they don't spew nonsense and keep their word.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2
WiscBuckmaster

They showed the helicopter view of law enforcement pulling an AR out of adam lanzas trunk. So he shot everyone, went outside and put his rifle away walked back in and shot himself?
Old April 25, 2013, 09:16 PM   #3
sam colt

That "AR" was a Saiga 12ga. Watch the tape again, it's on you tube, The cop clears the weapon by pulling back the bolt handle on the right side of the gun. No AR is built that way.
You can wish all you want, but that jerk did use an AR. No one,that doesn't wear a tin foil hat, disputes that. Not even the NRA.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4
WiscBuckmaster

I didnt know that thats the first time i seen that video. im not part of that crowd i just thought it was, when a whole show devoted to ar15's showed a video of cops pulling a gun while the narrator is talking about the ct shooting with an ar15. I know i must be reaching wayyyy out there...... The first post was an actual question, not a "caught ya lying" statement

Last edited by WiscBuckmaster; April 25, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:38 PM   #5
GunXpatriot

It was a Saiga, if you look close and compare it to a picture of a Saiga, but that's a whole 'nother point.

Sam, was that sarcasm? I can't tell over the internet sometimes...

I often admit there is a big possibility he did not use an AR-15, simply due to conflicting reports that came an ENTIRE day later... You couldn't get it right by then? "Handguns and only handguns were found" --- "Some type of long gun in the back of the car"...

Not strange at all... And it's not like it matters. Look at the time he had, it didn't take an AR-15 to do that kind of damage...
Old April 25, 2013, 09:42 PM   #6
tynman

The first news reports that I heard of this sandyhook thing, was said that they saw a AR in the car or he had one in the care.
Old April 25, 2013, 10:03 PM   #7
GunXpatriot

Alright, so this thread got pretty much no attention, but for those who watched, what did you think of it?
Old April 25, 2013, 10:22 PM   #8
kirbinster

Most of it was typical lame stream media stuff trying to say guns are bad. The first part was good. They shot it at my local range RTSP in NJ and had Rick (one of the owners) explain how the AR15 is less powerful than a plain wood stocked hunting rifle on the counter.
Old April 26, 2013, 03:39 AM   #9
Rembrandt

Anyone that participated in this anti-gun hit piece got duped.....most owners were portrayed as fringe paranoids, those against the AR were reasonable well meaning citizens. Gun was made the object of evil, maiming, death, and destruction. Any gun owner who participated in this hit piece did more harm than good for our side.
Old April 26, 2013, 04:37 AM   #10
GunXpatriot

Rem, I didn't have it come off as bad as that, but in hindsight, you are right. I would say more than anything, Cody Wilson and that video of James Yeager freaking out were bad on our part, but the others and women with guns didn't seem too bad.

I agree to an extent, but don't disagree either.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Skans

Why would any gun owner or pro-gun group participate in anything that NBC or its affiliates produces? Unless you have absolute control over the editing process, you might as well be playing russian roulette with 7 chambers loaded on an 8-shot revolver.
Old April 26, 2013, 11:40 AM   #12
spacemanspiff

It was not an impressive documentary. In my opinion, not only was this due to the already mentioned reasons, but also because the 'journalist' failed to approach the material as though it could sway fence sitters to one side or the other. It was biased from the getgo, and it ended with a bias. I have seen other documentaries by better journalists whose minds are more open to the subject being discussed. This guy, you could tell he was not interested in seeing things through our collective eyes.
Old April 26, 2013, 03:51 PM   #13
JayPee

I thought the broadcast started very well and promised some professional objectivity early on. But then it became biased, as expected. Concentration on extremes and misrepresentation of the norm wrecked what could have been an excellent presentation. Just poor, poor work.

Last edited by JayPee; April 26, 2013 at 03:59 PM.