The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 1, 2013, 12:05 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Target Gray Ruger GP100 4"

I placed a used (in like new condition) Target Gray SS GP100 4" on lay-away last Sunday. I would have preferred a regular SS look but at $399.00, I could not pass the chance to save some money on my first GP100. It takes a while getting used to the unusual color... But then, it catches your eye and it makes sense. Its stealthy appearance provokes interest. Being a special edition revolver could help it gain value over time. I can't wait testing this nice looking six shooter at the range. The revolver looks like the one on this link:
http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruge...rget-Grey.aspx
Old January 1, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2
DFrame

I think the gun looks great. I love the grey. I'm one of the people who can't stand the look of regular SS. Congrats on a REAL handsome gun. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Old January 1, 2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Hammerhead

I have the bright version, would prefer the gray.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Sevens

It's different, that's for sure. I can't say I hate it. I don't know that I'd choose it. I think it's a REAL stretch to even suggest that it'll increase it's "value" but I know one thing for CERTAIN and that is... if "increasing it's value" is a goal you have, then do not fire that revolver and don't even dry fire it or cock it. Quite simply...all of those will decrease it's "value."

Of course, if what you meant is that it would be otherwise more valuable or more sought after compared to an equal condition stainless, then you might be right, simply because it'll be less common.

Looking at it reminds me of two things. First is that Ruger make some of their .480's with that finish and it just reminds me of those big Redhawks.

More interesting -- it reminds me of the Colt Peacekeeper guns. And I gotta laugh when I see a Peacekeeper or am reminded of one. Never ceases to make me chuckle. If you don't know the story behind the Colt Peacekeeper, run a search. It's kinda like trying to squeeze a lime and then trying sell it off as a special new kind of lemonade, depending on your perspective.
Old January 6, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
TheWanderingRed

B-e-a-utiful!

YankeeIronSights looks like you've a got a beut of a weapon coming to you. I'm not the most experienced shooter out there, but I love my GP with the 4" barrel. It'll serve you well, and be a blast to shoot.

As to the color, its wonderful. Not as gaudy or ostentatious as some SS, more refined and dignified! Let us know how it shoots.
Old January 6, 2013, 08:30 PM   #6
sparkysteve

I have the exact same gun. I love it. Enjoy.

Dont tread on me.
Old January 7, 2013, 02:13 AM   #7
stormyone

You got a great deal. Sweet gun.